You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

User CESMITH0215 introduction

Author (Read 3092 times)

Re: User CESMITH0215 introduction
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 12:35:20 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
I've evidently been in a Windows environment long enough that retaining terminal command is difficult

Best advice is to take a breath and relax. Linux is actually considerably easier to remember. I have the opposite problem. Using Windows command line so little the last few years that I have to look things up again, and the GUI (which is still so poorly organized) is so redundant now that I have to re-teach myself every time I try to use it, often to clean up stupid security errors by others. Working cross platform as much as I do it gets pretty annoying when I can't remember something. Windows may seem easy to setup on a network, but because it is most often setup via a GUI it's harder to remember unrecorded steps and correct errors. Linux is actually much easier and always accurately deployed because you control it without proprietary software controlled settings. Yes cross platform networking has improved considerably in the newest Windows versions but the Linux side is still much easier to deploy and setup. After awhile you will retain things Linux because it is a system organized to not hide things from you.

TC     
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

User CESMITH0215 introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 12:55:09 AM »

cesmith0215

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Single Core model: AMD Turion 64 Mobile ML-32 bits: 64 type: UP L2 cache: 512 KiB

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD RS480M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200] driver: radeon v: kernel
I am attempting to salvage a very old laptop computer for myriad tasks and internet browsing. My laptop is a COMPAQ Presario V2000. (Model V2570NR) I've maxed out the RAM, (2 GB). It was running windows 7 up until I loaded Linuxliteos 5.4. I've since upgraded to Linuxliteos 5.8. I am terribly new to Linux, and have spent a great deal of time searching on line for different things related to Linux and the problems I have faced. I've searched the linuxliteos.com/forums often failing miserably in finding solutions, so this should let you know that I'm fighting an uphill battle.

Considering that I cut my PC teeth using PCDos, you would think I could adjust, but I've evidently been in a Windows environment long enough that retaining terminal command is difficult. I'm in the process of finding and reading books about the Ubuntu kernal and its variations.  I'm sure you'll all be shaking your heads at the questions I raise, but please bear with me as I learn to use this system. I've got a couple of other PCs, also old, that I think may be able to run this OS once I've learned it.

I hope we have a long and beneficial relationship.

Chuck

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section