You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Thank you linux lite team

Author (Read 5266 times)

Re: Thank you linux lite team
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 01:51:50 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Welcome  to the forums @noweare !
I also permanently installed Linux on some of my personnal machines when W10 came out.
Frankly, I liked W7 (support ending next january so past tence) and the only two OS from MS I didn't have a "moral" problem recommending were Windows 2000 and W7.
XP, Millenium, Vista and W10 were/are as pleasurable to use and manage as slowly eating a bag of rusted nails.

In reply @MS
I dealt with DELL a lot and still do, like the hardware most of the time.
Manufacturers support though is indeed for the "default" OS that the computer came with and MAYBE the next one.
For a Windows that came with a Brand computer (OEM), you cannot transfer it to another computer either, you need to buy a new "Retail" version. (officialy)
When doing so, the majority of tech guys will tell you, a fresh/clean install is best. Then, the "drivers" fun begins, often searching the internet hours with the "hardware IDs" for those devices with "exclamation marks" of "default MS drivers". Most of the time 4-5 devices, when at 6-8+, you lose some sanity points.

In fact all this is one of the main reasons we stopped (re)installing Windows in the PCs we configure at the help-center I do volunteer work at.
Using Linux, we have a PC up and fully functionning in minutes, not hours. I was so "stuck" in the Windows world for years that the first time I was all done with a Linux Lite PC, I litteraly had to triple-check. My brain just could not grasp that I was done installing AND updating a computer in a so little time. Needless to say, I had a revelation right then and there. ;)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 01:23:42 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Yes, people is throwing their slow Windows laptops on the dump. Sadly, that is why MS make so much profit - because many people think  that when the computer gets slow they must buy a new one. Money in pocket for MS, but sadly not so good for the environoment.
That MS must be pure cancer.

Anyway, aye, myself I gave to recycle my old laptop when I have bought a new one, the one I use now. The old laptop was -  by then - a ten year old Toshiba Satellite, 1 GB of RAM, do not remember exactly how much GHZ, but something about 1.8 perhaps. Single core, one thread. It run Vista. I decided to switch it because the integrated graphical module started to melt - peculiar stripes appeared at the bottom of the screen, rather recognizable as some kind of malfunction, heard it was irreparable.

With the current laptop I have, I think that I overpaid, unfortunately.

EDIT:

By the way, is it not quite silly that people by default buy a new version of - typically - Windows, when they get a new laptop? I mean, probably it is still cheaper this way than to buy a single Windows licence separately, although economically speaking, if to invest in one single Windows licence and then get a laptop without any preinstalled operating system, one could save some bit, if to reuse the licence later on another, consecutively owned machine. In particular this could be effective in the light of upgrades between Windows 7 and Windows 10, which I heard of to be available for free. Anyway, just a loose thought.

Oftentimes laptops have hardware setup, which by the industry standard is considered highly customized - especially with the hybrid graphics thing - and in turn requires dedicated support, which is suited to particular operating system. That is what defends an operating system preinstalled by default. I did get that with the laptop I use now. It came with Windows 10 preinstalled.

It is a Dell machine. On the Dell customer support website, there is an entire arsenal of drivers meant solely for the particular set of hardware I use, along with a piece of software of optional install, allowing to monitor current essential software versions and providing installs if allowed and required. Long story short, the laptop was kept as good as it gets in terms of the performance. Particularly - no novelty - the GPU was main beneficiary of this condition, as well as the BIOS. Moving to Linux, I did expect to loose such scope of vivid infrastructure and I was quite right with it, infact, I was welcomed by the  "sync line glitch" problem regarding the integrated graphics, that I somehow solved only by the help of the Divine Turtle, being a total noob. It does tweak something in a bad way inside the system, though. Well, life in Linux, I guess.

Now, do I break a forum rule admitting the advantage of Dell-Microsoft-world cooperation solution over what the contemporary state GNU/Linux dimension does offer? I am simply stating a fact of there being a difference in user experience. The point is, when you go Linux, you go partisan.

Let me put it this way: the joy of life in Linux, has ethical merit to it. If highly pragmatic or not a fan of living by quirky moral ideals without any payoff specifically, stay with what comes by default.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:45:28 AM by MS »

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 04:34:49 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Welcome, fantastic feedback :)

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 03:33:34 PM »

Sprintrdriver

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite on Dell Lattude D620
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 T5500

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express
Yes, people is throwing their slow Windows laptops on the dump. Sadly, that is why MS make so much profit - because many people think  that when the computer gets slow they must buy a new one. Money in pocket for MS, but sadly not so good for the environoment.
I won't let an old, but fully functional computer die just because some company tell me that they won't make no more security updates to their OS. Thanks Linux :)

Thank you linux lite team
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 02:45:10 PM »

noweare

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Celeron CPU @ 2.4GHz 1 processor, 2 cores

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: 1440 x 900

Hello All,

Thank you for putting together an excellent linux distribution.

I switched from Windows 10 to linux lite.  I switched my desktop  and two laptops over to LL. Even with my main Desktop machine Win10 was kind of slow and bloaty. Win10 would also reboot my machine. Now on all machines everything is snappy fast. It's a beautiful looking distro and I love the feather,kind of sums up what LL is about.

I really became motivated to change to linux when I went to my town dump and picked up a couple of laptops people were throwing away. My conclusion was that people were throwing
good hardware away because it ran slow on windows. What a waste.

I hope to contribute to the community when I get a little bit more experience with linux.  I am a fairly competent programmer (C, python) so I hope I can help out.

Thanks again,
Joe McCarron, New Hampshire, USA

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section