You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

New User...Frustrated

Author (Read 6206 times)

Re: New User...Frustrated
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 04:57:50 PM »

MohamedKhaled

• Forum Regular
  • Using Dell Inspiron 6400
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo t7400 2.16GHZ-2.17GHZ

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM
Thanks all for your assistance. I ended up installing Chromium from the synaptic manager. Install was a breeze thanks to your tutelage. I signed in with my Google credentials and viola...it was all there and worked. Beautiful! Re: new SSD...it is for my 2nd laptop project which is an old Dell I am reviving for my wife. Mine(the one I am working on now) is an even older Compaq/HP with 4G ram and a 2.3 AMD processor and a newer SSD. Both SSDs are only 120G as these machines will be used for browsing, email and some music streaming. This OS has reawakened my old laptop and it is actually fast. Love it! I think I have everything sorted for the moment and thanks again for your kind assistance.
hi ... glad the problem is fixed ... well what about changing that creepy NEW USER ..FLUSTRATED it may just drive people away ... and we don't want that... thanks a lot
Just Installed Linux lite??? check this tutorial
Have I Helped? Click [Thanks] button to the right.
Yours,
Mohammed Khaled

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 12:58:01 PM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

• Kernel: 5.x
Good news.  Could you upload hardware details to the database  menus/system/share hardware config    All helps other newbies :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:25:15 PM by torreydale »
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 11:14:29 AM »

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks all for your assistance. I ended up installing Chromium from the synaptic manager. Install was a breeze thanks to your tutelage. I signed in with my Google credentials and viola...it was all there and worked. Beautiful! Re: new SSD...it is for my 2nd laptop project which is an old Dell I am reviving for my wife. Mine(the one I am working on now) is an even older Compaq/HP with 4G ram and a 2.3 AMD processor and a newer SSD. Both SSDs are only 120G as these machines will be used for browsing, email and some music streaming. This OS has reawakened my old laptop and it is actually fast. Love it! I think I have everything sorted for the moment and thanks again for your kind assistance.

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Just a small comment. If you are awaiting a new SSD I would not recommend reinstalling multiple times on an SSD. Best to get your ducks in row first. Modern SSDs do not endure overwrites as well as old slow HDDs.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 10:14:06 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@1032 ,

Perhaps Chrome might be too much for your computer, but just because it was a problem in MS Windows, doesn't mean it will be one in Linux Lite.  In fairness to yourself and to the users trying to help you, we don't know the hardware specifications of your computer.  You could complete your forum profile, and that would help.  You could also post the result to the following command to the forum and that would help as well. 

Code: [Select]
inxi -F
Lastly, it is my understanding that Opera is now also based on Chromium.

Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 07:17:02 PM »

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Vera-
Thank you so much for the comprehensive reply. Very helpful and very much appreciated. I was just venting a bit and sorry if I gave the wrong first impression. I like this OS a lot. I have discovered the synaptic installer and was using that as the final step in the seamonkey process but kept getting errors. I decided on seamonkey since users here like it and I have experience with Mozilla Thunderbird. I will research Opera and Chromium. I run Chrome on my WIN 7 desktops but it is a resource hog. Will likely choke my aging laptops to a crawl with 6 or 8 tabs running. I wonder if chromium will connect me to all my Google stuff (calendar, etc.). I'm awaiting a SSD hard drive and upon arrival and install it will be my wife's new/old Dell LL laptop.

The reason I did the OS installs was maybe misunderstanding the terminal. I couldn't figure out how to delete the bad command and kept getting the error message when trying to use synaptic. Seemed to be the only way I knew to clear the error. And since the install was new and I wouldn't lose anything and re installing only takes a few minutes it was not an untenable option.

Thanks again and best regards,

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 09:08:06 PM »

Vera

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Enjoying Linux Lite.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Quad Core 1.6GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon
Hello. I'm sorry to hear of these difficulties. I too come from a Windows background (7 not 10 though!) and also have installed LL on my machines. I am a little confused as to why you have had to re-install the OS several times? Usually a software program install that isn't successful or that has errors will only affect that particular piece of software, not the OS as as a whole. However I do realize you have some considerable computer experience in general, so there must be a reason that you were re-installing the OS.

I too found the software installation aspect of LL a little confusing when I first came to LL... until I realized I don't have to do it by command-line. I hate to think how much time I wasted typing in command-line commands when I could have just used the point-and-click software installer that comes pre-bundled with LL, called Synaptic Package Manager (more details below if you haven't used it much). Now I use Synaptic for almost everything I install, or at least it's my option of first choice. I checked just now though and Synaptic does NOT have Seamonkey, so I realize that if you really need Seamonkey that you would have to do a manual install of the Seamonkey software.

Here are a few tips to hopefully help you out in the next few days. Perhaps they are things you already know - sorry if this is the case. These were things I did NOT already know in my first times in LL and I'd managed to trip myself up a couple of times at first:

1. In case you're not sure how to access the Synaptic Package Manager (it's not immediately obvious), go to start menu -> System -> install/remove software. That is the Synaptic Package Manager.  If you'd like more info on how to use Synaptic, you can find it in Start Menu -> Favorites->Help Manual and then navigate to the section on Installing Software. When you open Synaptic, you can select software you want to install by point-and-click, and then it does everything for you. As mentioned, this won't work for Seamonkey because isn't on Synaptic, but there is an impressively huge library of other software that you can look at and pick from.

2. If you have a particular reason for Seamonkey, that's totally understandable. However, if you're just looking for a good stable alternative browser option for your machine, I can recommend Opera (I'm using it right now from my LL machine). You can install it from your Synaptic Package Manager as mentioned above. Correction: Opera is not available normally through Synaptic. I think I only see it in my Synaptic because I had installed it from other means.

Anyhow, anything you install through Synaptic is just automagically 'there' on your machine after clicking the button to install the desired package (browser software will appear in Start menu->Internet). Another browser option is Chromium, which is actually slightly different to Google Chrome: Chromium is the open-source equivalent of Chrome. They appear almost identical from a user point of view. Chromium is available via Synaptic.

3. If for some reason you wind up downloading software direct from its home page (I did this with Opera), then it will wind up in your Downloads folder by default, typically as a .deb file and with a box-package icon. If you want to then install the software, then RIGHT-CLICK on its icon and select "open as administrator". It won't work if you just try to open it as 'you', it'll only install if you open it as administrator. This is typically how I download and install anything that I can't find on Synaptic. This way, no command-line is needed and I can get the software I want.  Yes there are a few rare exceptions where you have to wind up using the command line during at least some of the installation process. (Sophos was one of these for me, although it had an installation guide that I followed and it worked fine).

4. Generally, the more I'm using LL the more I'm finding the GUI way of doing things! I almost never use the command line any more (as it takes longer to type everything). The only exception is if I'm doing some bash scripting or something like that where I more or less HAVE to use command-line stuff. So, it is possible - with a few exceptions - to use LL without having to wind up doing DOS-like stuff at the command line.

Again, apologies if this is stuff you already know. I'm just trying to cover all bases to get you helped out, since we both come from Windows backgrounds. I'm hoping other more experienced users than myself will be along soon too and will be able to help you more also.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:53:42 AM by Vera »
Using Linux Lite for everything now. I put it on my desktop and my laptop. Woohoo!

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 06:29:58 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello ,

where commands do not work it can be for a variety of reasons.
A command not working does not mean the terminal is broken, only it means, you need a different command/s.
You do not need to reinstall LL because a command does not work.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 03:50:45 PM »

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks. Notably I tried to install Seamonkey. Copied and pasted code from a thread here and followed instructions. Got error message similar or same as other forum users. Then saw later in the thread a series of codes to use to repair the original one that didn't work. I just said no thanks and re-installed since I couldn't figure out how to repair the terminal. I saw something about rolling back terminal commands but I was unable to figure that out. Just kept getting the same error. Software installer wouldn't work. Seems overly complicated to accomplish simple and common tasks. I acknowledge I may need to unlearn windows. The code I need to understand is just not making sense to me. I am not interested in learning a new language. Many people in my circle seek computer help from me. I do not consider myself a novice. Certainly not an expert or programmer but able to figure out most issues and resolve. Not so much here...

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 02:53:17 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello 1032,

Welcome to the forum and Linux Lite :)

Why did you need to reinstall, eg; which issues did occur, after which changes made etc ?

Have you added any commands in to the "terminal" (how you called DOS like equivalent), on the current install of LL ?
If so please list any that you can remember at this time, for each one add a details of why you added it/ what you wanted to achieve with it.
Or is current install clean no changes made, or tried ?

Also add a list here of all the simple task things you want to do.

It should be each topic goes in its own thread for that subject to attract more responses from the community.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 03:08:24 PM by bitsnpcs »

New User...Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 02:37:15 PM »

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Greetings-
In short, I hated WIN10 so I looked for alternatives. Landed on Linux Lite for 2 laptops and have been generally satisfied. I am reasonably intelligent and am moderately tech savvy. I am NOT an IT professional or code writer. I have been frustrated with some processes in LL that require code written into the DOS prompt equivalent. I even copied and pasted some of the code from this forum and in each and every instance it did not work. I don't know enough to know what I am doing wrong. As much as windows sucks I could almost always accomplish simple tasks like adding a browser or other software. Sorry to complain but I'm 3 days in and have had to re install the OS several times.

Other than that I like it! :-) I'm sure as I use it more I'll begin to "get it". This forum will doubtless be a valuable resource.
Thanks,

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section