You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Return of the prodigal

Author (Read 10673 times)

Re: Return of the prodigal
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 08:13:20 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
Thanks, Rob.

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

Re: Return of the prodigal
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 04:21:39 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Welcome back, Coastie! I like that 'prodigal son' theme in your story...

"And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry: For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry." - Luke 15:23-24, KJV

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

Return of the prodigal
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 07:18:46 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
Discovered Linux Lite reading and watching You Tube reviews especially Spatry's. Installed it in January 2014. I tried a couple of dock program but figured out how to make the Xfce desktop look like my iMac without an extra program. The Linux Lite (Lubuntu) and Ubuntu Software Centers were the main reasons that I started looking for a beginner friendly rolling distro. The Deja Dup site said the bug I was experiencing could only be fixed by installing the newest version. The version of Deja Dup in those software centers was out of date. For several days the download on Deja Dup's site was not working so I could not get it that way either.

Thanks to Spatry's reviews on You Tube of Manjaro and his edition, I “graduated” Manjaro Cup of Linux Edition (without Compiz) in April 2014. (The newest version of Deja Dup was in the Manjaro repository.) The automatic updating locking problem up in the last update scared me off Manjaro. I read on Cup of Linux forum: "Do not use pamac to update your system. You will have to do it in the terminal. Type this command in the terminal to update your system: sudo pacman -Suu" I read on Manjaro's forum: "Re: Cannot update to latest update - pack 6: use pacman -Syuu, not -Syu only, and it will work." This is very confusing for a newby like me and I still avoid the terminal because it is too much like DOS to me.

I wanted to use a stable rolling distro to avoid having to reinstall. I tried unsuccessfully to install SolydX or PCLinuxOS Mate but could not manage the installers without automatic partitioning like in Manjaro or Ubuntu based distros. My computer would not boot after installing either SolydX or PCLinuxOS Mate. On my last attempt to install was PCLinuxOS Mate from a live DVD, I managed to format my back ups on a USB stick.

Went back to Linux Lite 1.0.8 waiting for Makulu Linux Xfce 6 release and see if I could install it. After trying out Makulu Linux Xfce 6 on DVD, I decided it was just “too different.”

I tried Linux Mint 16 Xfce waiting for 17 Xfce to be released because I would not have to reinstall for five years. Waiting for 17 Xfce, I got the feeling that Xfce was the "unwanted step child” from the Mint forums and web site.

Also while waiting, I started think about what I wanted in a distro if it wasn’t a rolling release: Xfce so I could make it look like I wanted (BleuFear theme from Spatry’s Manjaro, blue folders, panel like a dock, etc.), Debian (or 2d choice - Ubuntu) based, five years before I would need to reinstall if not rolling, and most programs that I liked already installed. Then it came to me that Linux Lite met all those desires so I am back!  8)

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section