You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite Persistent USB Purchase

Author (Read 6011 times)

Re: Linux Lite Persistent USB Purchase
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 10:43:50 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
At the end of the day, you still have a functioning LL USB persistent USB device. "Operation System not found" is a hard disk/SSD error not a boot device error. In POST, once it looks for other devices, it will then look to the first disk, if there is no OS present, you'll get that error. Hold onto it, it will serve a purpose once you have the right time and people in physical proximity to guide you. A little advice, I'm not a car person, ask me what a distributor is and I'll tell you it's a guy that delivers mail. I wouldn't buy a car engine, then ask the guy I bought it off how to build engines. It is assumed that if you are buying specialized equipment, you have the knowledge necessary in that area. All the best :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:46:25 PM by Jerry »

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 03:44:32 PM »

BobtheBaptist

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi again,
Yes I tried my own download and copy to my own USB stick and it loaded no problem and found all my hardware so I decided to purchase a USB Persistent stick from you so that I wouldn't have to reset after each use. I waited patiently for about 6 weeks for it to arrive but I cannot get it to load. I appreciate that you tested this stick before dispatch but the fact is it doesn't work for some reason and since I do not have the skill to sort it and you are 12000 miles away I guess I just put it down to another unsatisfactory experience with Linux and walk away. Thank you for the time you have spent. I really do not like MS or Apl but since I am in my 70's I really do not have the aptitude to learn it all. I was hoping for a much simpler transfer. Thank you again.
Regards
Bob

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 03:12:34 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Hello Bob,

I'm not sure what more advice I can give you at this point. One of the options has to work. You said "I did make an ordinary Live USB." I assume that was on another USB device, and not the persistent one you bought?

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 11:17:15 AM »

BobtheBaptist

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hiya,
Thanks for your response.
I purchased a Legacy Persistent USB as far as I know.
I have set the BIOS to USB first and when I use the non persistent USB Live that I made it boots in to it without a problem.
Since it is Legacy and not EUFI there is no way to disable or to disable secure boot.
So I start with LL USB in place and the boot just stops at "Operation System not found".
As I said I have very limited knowledge but I did make an ordinairy Live USB.
Is it possible for me to make a Persistent Live USB?
If I try the purchased USB on a new EUFI machine how do I alter the boot order please?

Sorry to be a pain,
Bob

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 10:49:53 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

To start with, all LL USB Persistent drives are tested before Shipping and a txt file is added to the Desktop and dated as proof. So it won't be the USB drive at fault here.
You can try: changing boot order from the BIOS, enabling/disabling UEFI, changing boot order at boot (usually F9 differs per brand), USB boot drive may appears with a benign name such as 'ubuntu' or similar - try booting every device that gets listed in your boot menus, try booting on a more modern pc. Don't attempt to alter the USB device in any way, that will render it unbootable! It will work, it just takes knowledge of how to boot devices.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 10:42:22 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Topic Split and Moved.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 11:22:43 AM »

Richard B

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello Bob,

Having looked at what is sold in the shop I suspect your problem is that you are using a EUFI "BIOS" stick on a legacy BIOS machine (or a EUFI machine set to run in legacy BIOS mode), OR a legacy BIOS stick on a machine expecting a EUFI boot medium. The LL Help system may help sort this out.

It is possible to install LL on to your own USB stick and use that on various machines. I do for when trouble shooting. When doing the install to a USB stick it is best to first disconnect the internal drive or the boot process may get on the wrong device. It will in any case try to find both discs on boot up. I got myself in trouble with this problem a few days ago. Another reason for disconnecting the internal drive is to make absolutely certain that you don't corrupt it.

Hope that helps,
Richard
<><
Desktop: Running LL5 on second HD in ACEPC model MK1: "Mini PC 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Windows 10 Celeron J3455 Processor Mini Computer Dual HDMI, Support mSATA / 2.5 inches SSD/HDD 4K, Dual Band WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0". Don't normally use the supplied W10. Also use LL on netbook (Using xrandr to "expand" the screen) and various old laptops. NAS drive and web server hosted by Raspberry Pi's.

Linux Lite Persistent USB Purchase
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 06:20:54 AM »

BobtheBaptist

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thank you for your response.
However I do not at present want to install LL but use the USB in Live mode with persistence on my old laptop whilst keeping all my apps and files intact.
Do I need to start a post in "Installing LL"?
As I said the usb live drive that I created boots fine but the purchased LL USB Persistent only shows as "Operation System not found"
I would be happy to create my own persistent USB live drive from Windows 10 if I could find directions for doing so, but it seems not to be possible at present.
I am sorry to have such a lack of knowledge but can you please point me to the correct place.
Regards
Bob Edwards
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 08:14:25 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section