You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

How can I install Linux Lite by the very beginning?

Author (Read 21830 times)

Re: How can I install Linux Lite by the very beginning?
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2021, 08:30:37 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Try Rufus in Windows. Thread closed, please don't hijack other people threads. Start your own, thank you :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 08:32:23 AM by Jerry »

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2021, 11:19:26 AM »

MIKE STAN

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Yep, I saw that Balena Etcher on the manual. This Balena Etcher just donīt work (by the way I almost lost my pendrive doing that!).

When I followed Balena Etcher procedure, it simply created an empty USB drive that Windows or the BIOS cannot read.

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2021, 07:26:19 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
LoL Nasmad... if that was the case here... the thread was a lot of wasted effort! ;)
If not, maybe 5.x works now...
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2020, 02:35:04 PM »

Nasmad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi,
I know that was a old post but maybe that could help someone.
I had the same problem and personaly that was just a corrupted iso.
So I downloaded it again and that's working for me.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 02:39:53 PM by Nasmad »

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2020, 03:28:46 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

firenice03,

I'm afraid your comment does not helped.

However I did research about UEFI since you said itīs like other kind of BIOS. And I find out I have BIOS not UEFI !!!

Thatīs why my BIOS donīt have the option to enable legacy bios as I told before, because it IS the legacy BIOS already.

About Etcher, are you assuming that is impossible to Balena Etcher fail ??

It's the same that saying all Linux O.S. is fully dependent on a third party software called Balena Etcher!  If Balena Etcher fails no one never could be able to use Linux ever.  Thatīs insane!

It does not help if you go this way and do not check others alternatives how to do that like I was trying to do.

I'm saying, saying it "It doesn't work"  - doesn't help anyone trying to help you.
I'm assuming something is wrong - I'm trying to help figure out what...

You may be overthinking it. Have you found one that does create a bootable usb? if so, use that - yes they are all the same (except multiboots)...
I typically dont use etcher.... BUT Don't assume cause its not readable its failed... Try it, it may work

Yep, I saw that Balena Etcher on the manual. This Balena Etcher just donīt work (by the way I almost lost my pendrive doing that!).

When I followed Balena Etcher procedure, it simply created an empty USB drive that Windows or the BIOS cannot read.

That is by design - Windows will not read it, its a boot disk now, as I mentioned in my previous post..

ARE you certain of your BIOS??
In a previous post you say... you disabled secureboot? - - That is available to UEFI.. not typically a bios...

Yes, I disabled secure boot.  It seems I don't have the option to enable legacy boot on my BIOS configuration. But the first boot is set to be my USB! It appears the fabrication name of my USB.

However, still Windows 10 is always started and no Linux Lite options is displayed.

If you haven't yet - Please try the UEFI version - it will install to either a BIOS or UEFI enabled systems --- a BIOS installer will only install to BIOS...

Don't give up @Roken

If the PC is UEFI - BIOS LL will not install (you are correct it doesn't see/read it)

You haven't mentioned you PC model - it might help us point you in the right direction...?

You can also look in System Information (msinfo32 from run) for BIOS

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2020, 02:23:30 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

Wow, what a bad experience! I almost lost my pen drive!   By the way, using Balena Etcher I almost lost my pen drive too.

I had to use "Diskpart" from CMD. I used the commands "list disk", "select disk and "Clean". After that I ran Rufus again using the first option. And now at least my pendrive is back live.

However I still am not able to install LL, even excluding step 3.

I think maybe the problem is the failure on constructing a bootable device, although Rufus said the procedure was concluded successfully.

@Roken, Are you using the same "not so old pendrive" that has repeatedly failed to boot time after time or the "old one" you said did succesfully booted the "windows for example"? I think you might give that a try and see how that goes.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2020, 02:14:23 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Moltke,

I did the procedure again excluding the step 3 as you mentioned, but it did not worked too.

So I tried to use the second option available on the Rufus software (as image DD), since itīs said maybe I can have problems to boot using the first recommended option.

But now Windows does not recognize my USB driver anymore!! Did I lost my pendrive?  How can I recover my pendrive if Windows does not read it??

P.S.:  This forum does not allow to attach images (.jpg)?
"Allowed file types: txt, log, cfg, conf, err, zip, tar, bz2, tbz2, tgz, html, tar.gz" ?

No, you didn't lose your pendrive, it's only that it is most likely formatted in ext4 and windows doesn't read that file system format. plug in the USB device, run rufus and burn the Linux Lite ISO using the default option, that way Windows will be able to see it again or right-click on it and see if it gives you the option to format.  Please, consider providing the info I asked you before; make and model of your pc, so we can search for it, find the specs and see whether there's some "obscure setting" not you let alone us can't see. Otherwise there's not much we can do to assist you from the distance apart from what's already been offered. You can post an image by visiting this site https://imgur.com/ uploading the image you want to share in the forum by clicking in new post, you'll be redirected to the uploader's tool where you can either drop your image right into it or click on choose, find the image in your pc and once it's been uploaded at imgur, click in the three dots placed at the top right corner of the image, right where it reads copy link and in the menu click on get share links and finally in the window that pops up right where it reads BBcode (Forums) click on copy link return to the forum and past that link in the thread you want it to be visible.

Hope this helps! :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:16:42 PM by Moltke »

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2020, 01:44:32 PM »

Roken

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Wow, what a bad experience! I almost lost my pen drive!   By the way, using Balena Etcher I almost lost my pen drive too.

I had to use "Diskpart" from CMD. I used the commands "list disk", "select disk and "Clean". After that I ran Rufus again using the first option. And now at least my pendrive is back live.

However I still am not able to install LL, even excluding step 3.

I think maybe the problem is the failure on build a bootable device, although Rufus said the procedure was concluded successfully.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:46:43 PM by Roken »

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 01:17:57 PM »

Roken

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Moltke,

I did the procedure again excluding the step 3 as you mentioned, but it did not worked too.

So I tried to use the second option available on the Rufus software (as image DD), since itīs said maybe I can have problems to boot using the first recommended option.

But now Windows does not recognize my USB driver anymore!! Did I lost my pendrive?  How can I recover my pendrive if Windows does not read it??

P.S.:  This forum does not allow to attach images (.jpg)?
"Allowed file types: txt, log, cfg, conf, err, zip, tar, bz2, tbz2, tgz, html, tar.gz" ?

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2020, 12:21:13 PM »

DeepThought

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • WKDfm Radio | WKDfm Chat

• CPU: AMD Turion(tm) 64 x 2 Mobile Technology TL-60

• VIDEO CARD: ATI RS480

One more try to explain.

Your words:

Yes, I disabled secure boot.  It seems I don't have the option to enable legacy boot on my BIOS configuration

From :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Secure_boot

The UEFI 2.3.1 Errata C specification (or higher) defines a protocol known as secure boot, which can secure the boot process by preventing the loading of drivers or OS loaders that are not signed with an acceptable digital signature.

So while you may have disabled secure boot you have not enabled legacy boot, so when your pc boots, it looks for an efi partition to boot from.
The Linux Lite from the main site is Legacy Bios only so whether you failed or succeeded in making a viable usb live Linux Lite, IT WON'T BOOT WITH UEFI ENABLED.

The link I gave and has been posted again for you is to the UEFI version of Linux Lite and creating a  live usb with that iso should work.

Just because you haven't found legacy bios in your bios settings, doesn't mean it's not there. Different manufacturers label things differently and it may even be a case of disabling UEFI, only you can look through your bios settings to find it.

Anyway, don't know how else to explain things to you so I'll step back now.
Hope you are successful. :)
Owner and DJ at WKDfm Radio ( www.wkdfm.co.uk )

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 11:55:10 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

UEFI LL build is a test build of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface not of the operating system itself. Everything UEFI is test because it involves OEM firmware which has nothing to do with the OSs stability, but only the boot system requirements.

If you are not going to dual boot with Windows 10, and your BIOS has a legacy boot option enable it and install the MBR version of LL. If you are dual booting you will need the UEFI version.

When you clicked the install icon how long did you wait? Did you double click it? OR... did you click install from the boot menu? Run the live system first and you will get the info you need.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 11:33:49 AM »

Roken

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
firenice03,

I'm afraid your comment does not helped.

However I did research about UEFI since you said itīs like other kind of BIOS. And I find out I have BIOS not UEFI !!!

Thatīs why my BIOS donīt have the option to enable legacy bios as I told before, because it IS the legacy BIOS already.

By the way I donīt know why you insist on Step 4 once I said itīs the ONLY step I am sure is correct!

About Etcher, are you assuming that is impossible to Balena Etcher fail ??

It's the same that saying all Linux O.S. is fully dependent on a third party software called Balena Etcher!  If Balena Etcher fails no one never could be able to use Linux ever.  Thatīs insane!

It does not help if you go this way and do not check others alternatives how to do that like I was trying to do.

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 11:27:22 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Then there is not point to me to send here a screenshot of my BIOS configuration or the model of my PC.

You're wrong, yet again. Of course there is not only 1 point but several ones into asking those details, 1, we're not in front of your pc but you and you are new to Linux so you might be doing something wong without even know it and 2, since we're not "on site" but only you, we can not know if there's some configuration setting that needs to be done.

I did NOT boot into Linux Lite. There was a question if the problem was the BIOS that can not do boot from a USB driver or if the problem is anything else. In order to answer that question, I used an other old pendrive USB bootable (with windows boot for example) just to check if the BIOS is able to do boot from an USB device as I configured it for.  The BIOS did successfully boot from a USB device, so itīs a proof that my BIOS is correct configured to do that and the problem is anything else than BIOS configuration.

This only proves that you've no idea what you're doing. Did you try booting Linux Lite from that "old pendrive" which did boot  "windows for example"? Did you try the same "windows for example" in the not "so old pendrive" you've been failing to boot Linux Lite from too? Acording to your own account, "you've succesfully booted "windows for example" from an "old pendrive" but failed to boot Linux Lite from a not "so old pendrive" which begs the question, is one of those, either the old one or the not so old one, working correctly? which one is?  Again, according to your own words, looks like something might be wrong with the "not so old pendrive" and that the "old one" does work properly, so why don't try booting Linux Lite from the "old pendrive" and see it that works?

I donīt know if I did it right, but I did that following steps considering we donīt have manual for that:

STEP 1: Download ISO using the link from oficial LinuxLite website. ->  Status OK. Done!!

STEP 2: I used Rufos software in order to create a bootable USB device.  -> Status OK. Done!

STEP 3: I used "Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.9.0" software to extract the ISO file into the USB device. ->  Status OK. Done!

STEP 4: I configured the BIOS to do boot from an USB device before start Windows 10 boot.  -> Status OK. Done!

STEP 5: Boot into Linux Lite from the USB device and click on the icon "install" to start deploying Linux Lite. -> FAIL !!!

If you did follow those steps is no wonder your Linux Lite Live USB won't boot, again, if the above is correct, then you've made at least one mistake; step 3 isn't needed. Try again like this:

STEP 1: Download ISO using the link from oficial LinuxLite website.

STEP 2: Use Rufus to create a bootable USB device.

STEP 3: Configure the BIOS to boot from the USB device.

STEP 4: Boot into Linux Lite from the USB device and click on the icon "Install Linux Lite" to start deploying Linux Lite.

Again, this STEP 3: I used "Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.9.0" software to extract the ISO file into the USB device. ->  Status OK. Done! if you actually did that after using Rufus to burn the iso into the USB, then you destroyed what you did in step two, making the USB unbootable and that's why your bios can't boot Linux Lite, there's no need for this "step 3", try again following the 4 steps I pointed above.

Hpe this helps! :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 11:39:42 AM by Moltke »

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 10:16:14 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@Roken Have you looked at the install manual I posted above...

The UEFI install can be found here - http://repo.linuxliteos.com/uefitests/4.2/  - It says 4.2 but it will upgrade.
Don't let test fool you - it is a stable version... I have installed this as have many others just as stable.
***The UEFI part is newer and was test when thread was created -its been in use for sometime...

There are 2 types of BIOS -- The older "Legacy" BIOS most are familiar with then UEFI an new bios but has been around for sometime.

Steps..
- Download UEFI ISO --  -- ensure iso is completely downloaded
- Use Etcher to create a LiveUSB
- Boot to USB and Install (or try)

In Etcher - try again... What is failing?  ---- Or any creator (tho options may differ)
- Select image = point to the downloaded ISO
- Select target = point to USB drive (4+ gb in size)
- Click Flash
Wait for USB to Write then eject/remove

*Etcher is creating a bootable USB - it will not be recognized the same way once created - Afterwards if you want to reuse this USB drive you'll need to reformat it.. This is easily done in any OS no tools needed...

Put newly created USB in the PC to install LL... and boot
**Note if having trouble installing - Win10 may need Fast boot turned OFF - this shows where to find
https://lifehacker.com/enable-this-setting-to-make-windows-10-boot-up-faster-1743697169

** If you changed BIOS/UEFI settings you can set back... i.e. Turn Secureboot back ON and disable Legacy (enable UEFI)
*Change/set boot order - or know how to at boot..
Boot to USB..

LL will boot up, and after a couple minutes (give or take dependent on system/usb)
You will have options to Start or Install
- I like to "start" to see the desktop/test...

On the desktop click on the Install LL icon...
Follow on screen prompts..

If any errors - please note them we'll be able to better aid...

UEFI is different than BIOS - but once you know you have it and use the correct LL installer its easy.

Have a look at the manual
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html

Don't give up!!!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:28:46 AM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 08:18:44 AM »

Roken

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Moltke,

I did NOT boot into Linux Lite. There was a question if the problem was the BIOS that can not do boot from a USB driver or if the problem is anything else. In order to answer that question, I used an other old pendrive USB bootable (with windows boot for example) just to check if the BIOS is able to do boot from an USB device as I configured it for.  The BIOS did successfully boot from a USB device, so itīs a proof that my BIOS is correct configured to do that and the problem is anything else than BIOS configuration.

Then there is not point to me to send here a screenshot of my BIOS configuration or the model of my PC.

To go further on that itīs important to answer the questions I made, especially question two.

firenice03,

I donīt know what you mean by use UEFI.
Like I said so many times before, Balena Etcher does not work. Thatīs the reason why I tried all those other steps I mentioned on this post. Unfortunately nothing works.

DeepThought,

"Linux Lite needs legacy boot in the bios to work unless you use the uefi version from the link I gave you."  Why the manual does not mention anything about that? Why do I need an unknown person on the forum to send me an ISO since I have downloaded the ISO from the official website already?

It would be terrible if I had to look for a new Linux distribution after all these hours of research and all efforts to try Linux Lite.

Isn't Linux Lite supposed to be an easier, little, simple and fast way to initiate with Linux?   Is this OS supposed to replace Windows without at least a decent manual?   If  I am wrong please tell me other distribution of Linux, because I am having a bad experience with all that.

I think the best way to solve this is answering my questions, especially the second one: "2. What exactly steps should be done after download the ISO considering:....."

For example:

STEP 1: Download ISO using the link from oficial LinuxLite website.  -> Status OK. Done!!

STEP 2: ..... ?

STEP 3: ..... ?

STEP 4: ..... ?

I donīt know if I did it right, but I did that following steps considering we donīt have manual for that:

STEP 1: Download ISO using the link from oficial LinuxLite website. ->  Status OK. Done!!

STEP 2: I used Rufos software in order to create a bootable USB device.  -> Status OK. Done!

STEP 3: I used "Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.9.0" software to extract the ISO file into the USB device. ->  Status OK. Done!

STEP 4: I configured the BIOS to do boot from an USB device before start Windows 10 boot.  -> Status OK. Done!

STEP 5: Boot into Linux Lite from the USB device and click on the icon "install" to start deploying Linux Lite. -> FAIL !!!

It does not boot LinuxLite!!  I donīt know why yet. Are the steps I performed correct?

Is there a way to double check if the procedure described on Step 2 really worked?

Is there a way to check if Steps 1 to 3 are correct?  I am only sure about Step 4 procedure because I could check it.

Is there a most simple, little, and easy Linux distribution that has a manual step by step like this to install and configure it?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:33:26 AM by Roken »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section