You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

How can I install Linux Lite by the very beginning?

Author (Read 21842 times)

Re: How can I install Linux Lite by the very beginning?
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2020, 11:18:16 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
@Roken  I second the UEFI version what @DeepThought mentioned.

Especially if you want to dual boot with Windows - if not Win would be UEFI and LL would be Legacy/BIOS and you have to switch bios for each to boot..
SO yes if you turned off secureboot - you have UEFI - so use that..

These forums and manual have ideas on what to use to create the USB - Etcher - Win32DiskImager, just dont use a "Multiboot" imager..

Once you have the usb - boot to the USB; may need to change boot order. Once you see LL you'll be able to install (icon on desktop) - You can try out LL just like you would if installed (it running off your usb - may feel slow running from usb - not when installed)..

Here's a link to the install portion of the manual..
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2020, 09:14:16 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

Hi Moltke. I could not find that info about UEFI but I donīt see any point on this.  It doesn't matter at all since I said before that my BIOS is booting from others USB device.

What do you mean exactly by "my bios is booting from other USB devices?" Did you or didn't you boot into Linux Lite? Did you boot using another Linux distro?

Users are unable to simply deploy LinuxLite! Can you imagine how could it be when you try to use or configure it if you can not go further then step zero?   Itīs a shame the manual is not enough to start deploying Linux in first place!

You're wrong. I have succesfully booted Linux Lite and many other distros in every machine I tried, in fact, I'm writing from a hp 2000 laptop runing Linux and according to inxi
Code: [Select]
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP 2000 Notebook PC v: 0888110003305910000620100
           serial: <root required>
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 188B v: KBC Version 69.17 serial: <root required> UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde v: F.34
           date: 05/22/2013
and I didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary to boot Linux Lite from a USB and it wasn't the UEFI version. FWIW, I'm not a Linux expert whatsoever.

However, I realized there's some information everyone here in this thread has failed to ask, including me; what's the make and model of your pc? Like brand i.e samsung, HP, Acer ... can you provide that info so we can offer a better informed advice, please?  Also, can you take a picture of your bios settings and post it here so we can take a look? Something's clealy preventing you from booting Linux Lite in your pc and with this information we might have better view of the problem.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 08:06:11 PM »

DeepThought

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • WKDfm Radio | WKDfm Chat

• CPU: AMD Turion(tm) 64 x 2 Mobile Technology TL-60

• VIDEO CARD: ATI RS480

Yes, I disabled secure boot.  It seems I don't have the option to enable legacy boot on my BIOS configuration

Linux Lite needs legacy boot in the bios to work unless you use the uefi version from the link I gave you.
Disabling just secure boot is not enough and unless you can resolve this you will have to use the uefi version or try another distro.
Owner and DJ at WKDfm Radio ( www.wkdfm.co.uk )

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 07:49:50 PM »

Roken

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi Moltke. I could not find that info about UEFI but I donīt see any point on this.  It doesn't matter at all since I said before that my BIOS is booting from others USB device.

Before go to other ways (like to try other ISO or even find other Linux distribution), I think two main questions should be answered:

1. Why it does not work with the ISO downloaded from the official Linux Lite website?

2. What exactly steps should be done after download the ISO considering: a) My BIOS is set to boot from a USB device since itīs working fine with other bootable USB device.  b) The "Balena Etcher" procedure is not working as I described earlier on this topic.

Furthermore, why the Linux Liteīs Help Manual does not mention any of this issues described here??

After several hours of research, manual reading and a lot of tests my first experience with Linux is:  Unable to reach the boot to try to deploy Linux! In other words, unable to go further then step zero.

On the past Linux was only for developers or very advanced users and there was no real support at all. I heard a lot of people saying it was in the past, everything has changed, Linux can be easier than Windows, etc.

Well, my experience here shows we are not so far from this past.

Users are unable to simply deploy LinuxLite! Can you imagine how could it be when you try to use or configure it if you can not go further then step zero?   Itīs a shame the manual is not enough to start deploying Linux in first place!

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 06:55:40 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello DeepThought.

I donīt know what is a system with or without UEFI. But as I said before secure boot is disabled!

Just in case I am downloading that full UEFI version you mentioned. I hope your link is safe!   It will take a while until my download finish.

In Windows 10, click on Start, search for system information and under system summary look for bios mode. It should state whether your pc is running under legacy bios or uefi

Hello Moltke.

I tried with Rufos, but it does not work either. I continue with the same issue.

Oh well, that's too bad. It's never failed to me but I guess this can happen.

By the way, I see the file name and directory is a "UEFI test" !  Is this a test of the Linux O.S. ?

I am only interested on stable and secure versions of O.S.

It's a stable and secure release. I don't know why it's called like that but as far as I can tell is as stable and secure as the legacy one.

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 06:12:27 PM »

Roken

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
By the way, I see the file name and directory is a "UEFI test" !  Is this a test of the Linux O.S. ?

I am only interested on stable and secure versions of O.S.

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 05:58:50 PM »

Roken

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello DeepThought.

I donīt know what is a system with or without UEFI. But as I said before secure boot is disabled!

Just in case I am downloading that full UEFI version you mentioned. I hope your link is safe!   It will take a while until my download finish.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 06:02:01 PM by Roken »

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 05:55:02 PM »

Roken

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello Moltke.

I tried with Rufos, but it does not work either. I continue with the same issue.

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 05:47:29 PM »

DeepThought

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • WKDfm Radio | WKDfm Chat

• CPU: AMD Turion(tm) 64 x 2 Mobile Technology TL-60

• VIDEO CARD: ATI RS480

you need the uefi version of Linux Lite which can be downloaded here:

http://repo.linuxliteos.com/uefitests/4.2/

The normal version won't boot on a system with uefi and secure boot enabled.
Many of the larger distros have installer iso with both systems on the iso, which is why they probably work.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 05:51:09 PM by DeepThought »
Owner and DJ at WKDfm Radio ( www.wkdfm.co.uk )

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 05:39:28 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Well, I have put other USB bootable device, and my PC did boot successfully from the USB without start Windows 10.

So itīs a prove there is nothing wrong with my BIOS configuration to boot from USB device.

Then I think the problem is with that USB with Linux Lite.

Now I formatted my USB again. I did copy the ISO file to the pendrive. And this time I used other installer called Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.9.0.  I followed the installations steps until the successfully end.  But still it seems I don't have a bootable USB device.

What did I miss?  Is all this steps correct or is something missing?

@Roken Try with this https://rufus.ie/ it's very easy to use and it's never failed me when creating live USBs, not once!

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 05:32:51 PM »

Roken

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Well, I have put other USB bootable device, and my PC did boot successfully from the USB without start Windows 10.

So itīs a prove there is nothing wrong with my BIOS configuration to boot from USB device.

Then I think the problem is with that USB with Linux Lite.

Now I formatted my USB again. I did copy the ISO file to the pendrive. And this time I used other installer called Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.9.0.  I followed the installations steps until the successfully end.  But still it seems I don't have a bootable USB device.

What did I miss?  Is all this steps correct or is something missing?

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 05:20:02 PM »

minesheep

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

on some computers press esc almost immediately after pressing power button to see more boot options. On other ones f12 usually does the same. You may need to use uefi version for non legacy computer. Try few times f12 and esc key to get the correct time for doing it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 05:22:38 PM by minesheep »

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 05:03:14 PM »

Roken

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Yes, I disabled secure boot.  It seems I don't have the option to enable legacy boot on my BIOS configuration. But the first boot is set to be my USB! It appears the fabrication name of my USB.

However, still Windows 10 is always started and no Linux Lite options is displayed.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 04:41:01 PM »

minesheep

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Disable secure boot (google it). Enable legacy boot(google it). On some system use magic. Sorry I cant tell you how exactly you do the magic part, it is so different on every device you need to research yourself.
You booted into Linux Lite (yaaaaay!  Beautiful ain't it!), but did not install it.  It's not a program that you run "inside" Windows, it's a whole 'nother operating system that replaces Windows.

So before you install Linux Lite, save copies of all your important files (documents, music, pictures, videos - all the stuff you have saved to your hard drive) to a separate USB stick, external hard drive, or some other backup. 

You can set up Linux Lite to run alongside Windows (dual-boot), in which you choose which operating system (OS) to boot into at startup, or you can wipe away Windows altogether and use only Linux Lite, like most of us have done.

There's a "Install Linux Lite" icon on the desktop that you can click on after you boot into the USB next time (after you have done a back-up of all your important stuff), and the installer will take you step-by-step through the process, whichever option you choose - alongside Windows 10 or in place of it.  You can use one at a time, never both, since they are separate and incompatible operating systems

Wrong. UUI makes the stick still usable to other purposes and is the only image writter that I know that does it.
Ok! I was researching about that and I did find that information.  That is a installer is required to run the ISO indeed.

I just used LinuxLive USB Creator (LiLi) now.  I followed all steps and it said all is done successfully.  I can see files and directories on my USB pen drive now.

I configured BIOS to boot from USB first. However when I restart the computer, it always open Windows 10. No option to deploy Linux is displayed.

What is wrong? Whatīs the problem? Why I canīt deploy Linux yet?

What should I do?

seems successfully installed to usb stick. see the beginning of this message for fixing boot from the stick you just made.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 04:38:39 PM »

Roken

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I did NOT booted into Linux Lite!  Like I said before, when I restart my PC only Windows 10 always start.

I donīt know whatīs wrong.  It should be easier, isnīt it?  What should I do ??
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 04:55:42 PM by Roken »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section