You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Hi from PEI, in Atlantic Canada

Author (Read 7749 times)

Re: Hi from PEI, in Atlantic Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 02:03:30 PM »

myrddin

As an addendum to my intro "sermon", just a brief note. I had installed Linux Mint some time ago, on my wifes'  Acer laptop. I have just finished a new 'LL' install, and she now has a nicely responsive system on her laptop.. It really is noticeably faster than Mint, in a number of aspects, from boot, to application launching. Other than a different Login screen, she has the same wallpaper, and panel icons(launchers) , that she had before. She will certainly notice the difference in performance..(probably before she realizes that I have installed a new system!!!)
Have a good week, and Happy Canada Day (tomorrow) to all us Canadians
Regards
Richard

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 07:33:37 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Welcome to Linux Lite, and thank you for sharing your search for 'just the right OS' with us. It's great that it will support your Windows 8 touchscreen out of the box.

Someone else asked about touchscreen support in LL. Seems as if you've just answered their question!

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 12:51:03 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
I now have a extremely responsive laptop, running Linux Lite 2.0.... It could be argued that with the specs on my laptop, that I don't need a "lightweight" installation. My argument for Linux Liite, would be to point out that the applications included with the install, are anything but 'lightweight', and I can add whatever "eye candy" I would like to the desktop, (if I wanted to..which I don't). There is a world of difference between a "Minimalist" installation, and Linux Lite. The former is very fast, because it has very little installed, the latter is also very fast (responsive would be more appropriate.."fast is too subjective) because it was designed to be, and not because it has been just stripped to the bare bones, necessary to boot up. I want a clean uncluttered desktop, in conjunction with a set of quality applications, and a very responsive system. That is what I now have !

Welcome to LL and the forum myrddin,

I agree with everything you just said.  Just because a distro is 'lightweight' doesn't mean it's only for use on older machines.  I've used Xfce-based Linux distros (LL being the most recent) for the past couple of years on both old and new computers for the same reasons you just gave.  They're very responsive, have less bloat, have a relatively intuitive interface, tend to be more stable (in my experience at least) and are highly customizable if you want to add a bit of 'eye candy'.  Nice thing about Linux is that there is something that fits most people's tastes.  For those who like more, they can choose a distro using one of the 'heavier' desktops -- Cinnamon, KDE or Unity.  Those who like minimal can use LXDE, Openbox, etc.  A little something for everyone!
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

Hi from PEI, in Atlantic Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:05:44 AM »

myrddin

Hi everyone, from a retired IT manager on Prince Edward Island in Atlantic Canada..
I last touched UNIX about 15 years ago, running a large manufacturing system.. I am now in my "golden years" (the big 70th birthday a few months ago), and I received a laptop with Windows 8.(If Microsoft made a vacuum cleaner it would also suck !!!..Not my quote ) I now have a extremely responsive laptop, running Linux Lite 2.0.. I first went to Linux Mint (Cinnamon), polished, but "heavy", even on the SSD. Next, to the other extreme, Bodhi Linux..Amazingly fast, but a "tad" too minimalist, and lacking in some areas..Then to Manjaro, again very fast, but just not a comfortable experience. The Linux Lite development team, has my sincerest congratulations on such a polished release, that, as a user, gives me a comfortable and secure feeling. It boots up so quickly on my SSD, that the screen is fully loaded, before the WIFI has a chance to connect. It is so refreshing to be away from "Window" clutter, and to have such a clean desktop... Right clicking on the desktop, to bring up a menu has an certain intuitive feel to it. It could be argued that with the specs on my laptop, that I don't need a "lightweight" installation. My argument for Linux Liite, would be to point out that the applications included with the install, are anything but 'lightweight', and I can add whatever "eye candy" I would like to the desktop, (if I wanted to..which I don't). There is a world of difference between a "Minimalist" installation, and Linux Lite. The former is very fast, because it has very little installed, the latter is also very fast (responsive would be more appropriate.."fast is too subjective) because it was designed to be, and not because it has been just stripped to the bare bones, necessary to boot up. I want a clean uncluttered desktop, in conjunction with a set of quality applications, and a very responsive system. That is what I now have !
Oh, BTW, the touch screen on the laptop works perfectly (not that I have really found much use for it). My German Shepherds' nose also works really well on the screen.!!!
Once again, Kudos to the Development Team, and I look forward to future developments,
Kind of a long introduction,
Regards and have a great week,
Richard Morris

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section