You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Hello!

Author (Read 6397 times)

Re: Hello!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »

Teddy

• 'Deep in the heart of Texas!'
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Texmex
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz/Turbo 3.5Ghz Quad Core (Skylake)

• MEMORY: 24Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M - 6GB VRAM

• Kernel: 6.x
Welcome to the Linux Lite community!
Theodore,

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11-e015dx (11-inch "Travelbook")
ASUS Republic Of Gamers G752VT-DH74 (17-inch Main) [6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M GPU, 24GB RAM]

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 05:21:34 PM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Thanks for the welcome people.

N4RPS, I can understand how people might have problems, especially those who've never used anything but Windows before.
I thought I understood the guide ok, it seems easy enough to follow, some past experience installing Ubuntu helps, though I'd never tried to set up a dual boot until now.
I think my mistake was not following the troubleshooting link in the guide when the installer didn't offer the option to install alongside Windows, and not enough sleep at the time  ;D
From memory I think I just checked the LVM option thinking that it sounded good & didn't see the Erase Disk button was set as well.
Whatever I did by the time I realised it was too late, even though it was only a few seconds until I tried to stop it  :(
In the end I had to use the Something Else option & set the partitions manually as trying the other options all failed after this with an error but I can't remember what it said.
Installing from a USB I was, once I set the partitions manually all went well.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 06:02:53 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Welcome to Linux Lite.

Unfortunately, one has to plan a dual Windows/Linux install carefully in advance. A number of people have 'gotten it wrong', and have had their Windows partition disappear on them. Perhaps the whole procedure should be explained better, with the risks more clearly emphasized.

Gold_finger has done an outstanding job in creatinga tutorial concerning this issue. If it hasn't been done already, perhaps his tutorial should be incorporated into the user manual.

In a nutshell, one shrinks the Windows partition to accommodate the Linux install with the Partition Editor on the Live CD, reboots into Windows to let a CHKDSK run to verify the shrunken Windows partition, reboot into the Live CD again, select 'Something Else' when installing Linux Lite, create a swap partition at least equal to the amount of RAM, and using the rest of the newly-freed space for Linux Lite...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 11:45:48 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Cheers JmaCWQ. Welcome aboard.

Hello!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 04:29:25 AM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Hello to All from western Queensland, Australia  :)

Having a play around with Linux Lite for the first time, quite enjoying it so far.
Used Ubuntu for years, yesterday was trying to setup a dual boot on an MSI Netbook with Windows 7 & Linux Lite after trying LL for a while from a bootable USB.
Made one mistake during the process and oops...no more Windows, gave up trying to get Windows to boot again & decided to wipe the lot & just use Linux Lite instead.
So, here I am.
Cheers

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section