You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Hi All!

Author (Read 8015 times)

Re: Hi All!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 08:25:31 AM »

James_K

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 635M]
Hi,

I'm new to Linux.  Have sampled some different distros, but Linux Lite stands out for me as what I'm really looking for.  Very high marks for the excellent user guide!

My primary system (for now) is Windows 7.  But when security support ends for Win 7 in 2020,  my plan by that time is to have already moved to Linux as my primary system as I have no desire to move to Windows 10.

Looking forward to the journey.

I too have win 7 as a primary. Laptop has two hard drive bays and since I put LL in my laptop ( used to run it in an external usb hard drive ) next to my win 7 hard drive I hardly ever boot the win 7 anymore.

Don't waste your time with win 10. The user interface is kinda neat, but it Will take control of your PC.  It even left a partition on the hard drive that was hard to get rid of without loosing that usable section.

Good luck with LL!! I am a new to Linux as well....Love it!!

James

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 11:28:34 PM »

Sierra

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Centrino Duo T7400 @ 2.16GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Hello everybody! I'm a Long Islander that's new to Linux on a $70 laptop, but I love it so far. I use Linux mainly for work, but have fun with it.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 10:16:03 AM »

TimeTravel

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks again for all the welcomes.  Looks like a friendly place here  :D.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 09:24:32 AM »

sobermadman

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Just wanted to say how impressed I am with Linux Lite. I'm doing a lot of everyday stuff in Virtualbox, mostly running versions of XFCE on a rock solid Mint LMDE 2 host, and also keep trying out new distros there. I've had enormous problems though trying to get the 18.04 Ubuntu based releases to run, they seem to have kernel issues, at any rate on my system,  while the install goes fine, the system then boots into a black screen, and that's that. This is both fresh installs and dist upgrades like, for example, from xubuntu 17.10 to 18.04.

Anyway, I needed a reliable XFCE distro (I REALLY like XFCE) with a few years of support left (had been using Xubuntu 16.04 hassle-free but its EOL is only 10 months away), so came across LL 3.8 which is supported until 4/21, and it's been running without one single issue from the moment I rebooted after the install.  I know LL 4 is about to be released, but I read in the forum that there seem to be kernel issues as well, it's the 4.15 kernel I guess which Ubuntu uses, so I'll wait to see how that works out. I might install the new release in VBox just to test it but from what I've read, the same issues may occur that prevent xubuntu from running on my system.

So I just wanted to say thanks for a great OS which does everything I need for the purposes I use it for, and knowing I'll be able to rely on it for another 3 years before its EOL is just great.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 05:29:53 AM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

• Kernel: 5.x
Welcome
Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 05:21:39 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
Welcome ...
Time travel into another dimension with Linux Lite !  ;D
Enjoy the journey here with a very friendly and knowledgeable forum community.

64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 04:54:34 AM »

NN

• a Xubuntu 16.04.4 LTS user
  • Muted
  • Forum Regular
  • just a visitor
    • View Profile

• CPU: Muted

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Muted
Hi,

I'm new to Linux.

Hi, TimeTravel!

Welcome to new Linux users! Linux is cool!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:59:11 AM by NN »
... let the dead bury their dead (Matthew 8:22)

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 08:08:18 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Welcome to Linux Lite!
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 10:47:08 PM »

TimeTravel

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello TimeTravel,
Welcome to the forum :)

Thank you bitsnpcs  :)

Happy to be here.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 03:36:56 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello TimeTravel,
Welcome to the forum :)

Hi All!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:12:45 PM »

TimeTravel

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm new to Linux.  Have sampled some different distros, but Linux Lite stands out for me as what I'm really looking for.  Very high marks for the excellent user guide!

My primary system (for now) is Windows 7.  But when security support ends for Win 7 in 2020,  my plan by that time is to have already moved to Linux as my primary system as I have no desire to move to Windows 10.

Looking forward to the journey.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section