You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Hi

Author (Read 3512 times)

Re: Hi
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 02:25:34 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

• Kernel: 5.x
I have found that there is a huge hole in the linux world. We can find distros for experienced users. We can find distros for new users, but it is very difficult to find a distro designed to take somebody from beginner to experienced.

Here's one that kind of fills that need. They say if you really want to "Learn Linux," use Slackware. But what if you're a beginner, or just lazy?

Well, there's Linux for Lazy Slackers, which uses the same basic desktop as Linux Lite (but not the super-easy installer) and helped me get past my dread and terror of the command line. It's a kind of in-between distro for when you're ready. But Slackware, the oldest Linux distro of them all, has older software than most distros (it's one of the reasons it's so super-ultra-mega stable).

But even lazy Slackers regress sometimes, or need newer software or other conveniences, and find themselves right back here at good ol' Linux Lite!

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 11:56:55 AM »

grgc

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i3

• MEMORY: 4Gb
Hey,
Thanks for the reply.  LL does work out of the box, and it is good distro to transition from linux.  I installed it because it was easy to install.  I have some exposure to Linux, but never moved past the GUI. 

I have found that there is a huge hole in the linux world. We can find distros for experienced users. We can find distros for new users, but it is very difficult to find a distro designed to take somebody from beginner to experienced.

I would like to change that, so I am starting in LL where I have some support while I explore the CLI and learn enough to move on to a more barebones distro. Eventually, I will post a series of tutorials built around some server that actually explores the potential and power of the Linux OS. 

I really appreciate what LL offers, and when I move on, I will still recommend the distro to people who just want a GUI experience like Windows.

The ideal distro I'm looking for is a 300 -500 mb server, built on systemV, probably Debian based and 64bit. I am looking for something light enough to run on minimal equipment and still take advantage of a modern system.  I suspect that I will end up over at Arch or Gentoo, but I don't know. I am still learning to basics. 

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 10:34:43 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
@grgc

Welcome!!! LinuxLite is a perfect place to learn; especially if coming from Windows... Its designed to be simple and easy to use and stable.
As for a server edition or "core" (assuming less a desktop) there are not. Even if a core/minimal version would be built it would be a basic LL w/ a gui, just less the 'extras'..
Compiling/changing desktop environments is a bit advanced, LL is built as such so everything works from install. Not saying one can't but know it is outside the realm of support.

You may find LL is the perfect platform for your day to day OS and use virtualbox for your Odin testing :)

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

Hi
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 03:14:37 PM »

grgc

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i3

Hi,
I am a new linuxlite user.  I needed a lightweight distro with a simple gui as a learning platform.  I am currently working through The Odin Project.  After getting comfortable with the cli, I would like to install a server and build my gui from the cli.  I'm don't remember seeing a "lite" or "core" edition of LinuxLite. Did I miss it?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section