You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Hello from Florida

Author (Read 4591 times)

Re: Hello from Florida
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 03:12:26 AM »

Hoffer77

• Bitcoin Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Love Linux Lite
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5 3.1

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GT 610

• Kernel: 5.x
Welcome to Linux Lite ;)

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 10:11:20 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@Fishtails ,

Welcome aboard!
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 08:29:04 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Welcome!

From our experience I'm sure you'll stay here a while! hehe
I'm sure your journey from Windows to Linux is exactly what Jerry and the team like to hear!

As for the disk thing, I'm thinking of two things, that can be quite wrong ;)
Maybe a partition was left on the harddrive that is not fully suported or a memory card reader of some kind?

Cheers and see you in the forums!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 10:10:35 PM »

Fishtails

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel ® Core i3 7th Generation

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: on board
>Menu>Settings>Session and Startup>Application Autostart> Check the box for the Lite widget. Logout and login again and the Lite widget will appear.

TC
Thanks.  8) I couldn't remember where it was.
1. Dell Inspiron 5566 7th generation Intel Core i3 6Gb Ram 240Gb SSD OS Linux Lite 4.2
2. Dell Inspiron 1525 Circa 2008 Intel ® Core TM 2 Duo CPU 4Gb Ram 160 Gb HDD OS Linux Lite 3.8 32bit
3. Home built Circa 2003 desktop  Asus An7x8  AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.5Gb Ram 80 Gb HDD OS Ubuntu Server 18.04LTS with Lubuntu Desktop

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 10:00:33 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

>Menu>Settings>Session and Startup>Application Autostart> Check the box for the Lite widget. Logout and login again and the Lite widget will appear.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 07:36:46 PM »

Fishtails

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for the welcomes.  An update.  I've installed 4.2 on my main laptop, the 5566.  I was glad there was an option to go straight into an install rather than go thru the live disk.  I hadn't noticed it before.  The install went very smooth and very quick.  5 minutes tops from boot up to reboot.  Far faster than any other I have tried.  Not sure why virtual guest additions are in the initial install.  VB has that when needed.
After install boot up is noticeably slower, clocking at 72 seconds to be exact.  One thing to note is I do have the BIOS POST set for thorough rather than fast boot.  I did receive during boot a text notification of "Disk write filters not supported."  At first I thought maybe it was just a check, but after rebooting several times testing the boot it occurred every time.  A search indicates that it is an Ubuntu bug thats been around going back as far as 2012-13.  A youtube video showed a quick fix by editing the grub.  I consider it a band aid and figured I'd do a little more research before I implement a band aid.  Maybe someone here can shed the light.
Otherwise, besides the slow boot, it' quite snappy.  A couple of things I don't see in this version that I happened upon in 3.8.  Most notably a desklet (is that what they're called?) that shows on the desktop a cpu, memory usage stat.  Not really needed, just a widget that I liked in 3.8.
Anyway, thanks again for the warm welcome.
1. Dell Inspiron 5566 7th generation Intel Core i3 6Gb Ram 240Gb SSD OS Linux Lite 4.2
2. Dell Inspiron 1525 Circa 2008 Intel ® Core TM 2 Duo CPU 4Gb Ram 160 Gb HDD OS Linux Lite 3.8 32bit
3. Home built Circa 2003 desktop  Asus An7x8  AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.5Gb Ram 80 Gb HDD OS Ubuntu Server 18.04LTS with Lubuntu Desktop

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 06:56:37 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

I find 3.8 a lot faster than 4.2.  Bootup in 4.2 takes several minutes on a more than adequate machine, even after unchecking the virtualbox / virtual-guest stuff.  Even uninstalling vb and vg didn't help.  And is virtualbox doing in a distro that's supposed to be "lite" anyway?  Well, Jerry's a smart guy and I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but I found 3.8 to be far superior.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 03:18:53 PM »

Linuxkumpel

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium P6100

• VIDEO CARD: Intel X4500HD

Then have fun with LL and welcome.   :)
LL 5.0 64 bit Packard Bell Easynote TK 85 (since 1.0.6)
Manjaro 20.1 Xfce 64 bit Thinkpad T420s
Pop!_OS 20.04 64 bit HUAWEI Matebook D (AMD)
Solus 4.1 Lenovo M30-70
PeppermintOS 10 64 bit Dell Inspiron 11-3162
ROSA 11 Fresh 64 bit Packard Bell dot SE

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 03:12:38 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello Fishtails,

Welcome to the forum :)

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 02:50:09 PM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U

• VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

Welcome
Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.

Hello from Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 12:44:53 PM »

Fishtails

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for Linux Lite.  After trying so many different distros on my old dell I stumbled upon Linux Lite 3.8 a few days ago.  It is the only distro that I have tried on that particular computer that installed without any issues whatsoever.  I use it in my garage while tinkering.  Previous attempts were with Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Mate, Xubuntu, Manjaro, Centos7, on and on.  Everyone of them either hung and took forever to boot after install, or would not install the driver for the wireless card, BCM4311, all of them as a matter of fact with the exception of Manjaro, but it took forever to boot.  Not to mention the resources they took, for whatever reason even the supposedly low on resource distros Xubuntu and Lubuntu.  This machine shipped with Windows Vista in the beginning.  Not anymore. 8)   I had a painless install of Linux Lite, quick, installed the wireless driver no probem, and boots in less than 30 seconds. The only thing that took a long time was the initial update.  The other distros would take upwards of 3 to 4 minutes to get to the login screen, and then another 45 to 60 seconds to login.  :P   Linux Lite 3.8 loads almost immediately after login.  I know Linux Lite is based off Ubuntu, so I don't really understand why all the problems installing and running the other distros.  Maybe those guys should ask Jerry how to make an installation ISO. :)   It certainly isn't my first time using Linux, been around the block for several years.  So, my hat's off to Jerry and company for such a great product.

I have an old home built circa 2003 that I managed to install Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS 32bit, with Nextcloud running in it so I can do away with OneDrive.  It has 1.5 Gb Ram and an 80Gb HDD, an Asus A7nx8 motherboard and AMD Athlon XP 2500+ processor.  All equipment is original, nothing new except a 350w power supply.  I have a hankering to try Linux Lite on it just to see what would happen.  I originally had Windows XP service PK3 on it.   8) Not anymore. 

I'm running Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon on the laptop I type from, but maybe not for long.  Just downloaded 4.2 and burned a stick and will see how it runs on this one from the live USB.  I'm able to run all of the other distros on this one no problems and finally settled on Mint, but I really like the way Linux Lite runs and loads so good on the old equipment, I can only imagine how well it would run on newer equipment.  This machine shipped with Windows 10 Home. I upgraded to Pro, and eventually to 1809 after MS screw up with the Aug update. Not anymore. 8)   Cancelled my Office 365 subscription, pulled all my stuff off of OneDrive and installed Linux.  I only use Windows at work because that is what is used, that is, when I work.  Currently furloughed because of silliness in Washington.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to Jerry and his team.  Keep up the good work.  Glad to be here.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section