« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 07:23:15 PM »

pauloz

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member

• Linux Lite: 3.0 64bit

• CPU: 2x Genuine Intel(R) CPU U7300 @ 1.30GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb
Colin

Sorry to see you go, however I want to throw in my two bob's worth. I'm in my 63rd year and started learning about computers about 15 years ago. I'd never heard of Linux until about 7-8 years ago when an associate at work mentioned it to me after he heard me complaining about Windows (again). He introduced me to Ubuntu, which at the time was the most popular distro.

I remember starting with 10.04 and absolutely loved it. Ubuntu then switched over to the Unity desktop, which I was not keen on and about 15 months ago, discovered Linux Lite. The terminal commands initially scared the life out of me but over time, I gained the confidence to use them as recommended on the forums. That's as far as I go with them and it's easy to copy and paste from the instructions given.

My point is don't entirely give up on Linux. If you know anybody who has an ageing laptop and doesn't want it, have a tinker with it to give you greater confidence. I've come to admire the passion of Linux people and their willingness to help. Sure, some may come across as "techies" who do assume a level of expertise but they're in the minority.

I do hope you will reconsider Linux - for security, speed and reliability, in my humble opinion no other operating system gets close - that's the big plus.

Paul
Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:23:58 AM by pauloz

Re: Farewell
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 01:23:23 AM »

LinuxNoob

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member

• Linux Lite: 3.2 64bit

• CPU: 6x AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780
Just a point of clarification.  Your profile says you have 256 mb RAM . Is that correct?  If so you are getting windows 10 to work on your setup.

Just a guess. But that is probably video card ram.

I think he'll need more ram for W10.....

Added: I agree with Pauloz, grab an old computer try it on that and treat it as a hobby when ever you get bored of windows.
Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:31:35 AM by LinuxNoob
I'v been bashing Windows way before Microsoft.....

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 08:22:15 AM »

paul1149

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Enjoying Linux

• Linux Lite: 3.6 64bit

• CPU: C2D

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia
Sorry to see you go, Colin. I can understand your complaint to some extent. The new versions of Slimjet are not installing on LL, and the recourse is to install them raw using the tar.xz. I think I could pull that off, but I have no idea how it will affect the existing and working older install of Slimjet, or how it would affect the system. So for now I'm sticking with the older Slimjet and hoping for a .deb fix on their end.

But that is fairly unusual. Most everything here runs smoothly, and it is quite rare that I have to use the CLI. I'm definitely more proficient on Windows at this point, including its CLI, but I am learning Linux, and with periodic system images and data backups behind me, the pace and the risk have been manageable. I think LL is pretty much in a sweet spot for Windows transitioners that way.

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 04:03:18 PM »

Colin23erk

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member

• Linux Lite: 2.6 32bit

• MEMORY: 256mb
Quote from: rokytnji on January 29, 2016, 07:41:13 AM
Just a point of clarification.  Your profile says you have 256 mb RAM . Is that correct?  If so you are getting windows 10 to work on your setup.

Sorry your putting 2+2 together = win10  is the wrong conclusion ----- Old information + new Netbook = Win10 preinstalled

Thanks for all you inputs - some conciliatory , some hostile that I criticized their god ( Linux Lite )  , some insulting me , some encouraging me to carry on.

On that note I think its time to close this Post Down

Colin

I Learn something new Every Day !
An "example" is worth a 1000 words

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 06:00:11 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User

• Linux Lite: 3.8 64bit

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
Not prepared to learn by heart "Commands ant their syntax " ...

I do not use the command line either unless I just copy and past something into the terminal. If I wanted to do that, I would have stuck with DOS.  ;D This has never been a problem for me using Linux Lite.

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 07:17:20 PM »

LinuxNoob

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member

• Linux Lite: 3.2 64bit

• CPU: 6x AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780
Quote from: rokytnji on January 29, 2016, 07:41:13 AM

Sorry your putting 2+2 together = win10  is the wrong conclusion ----- Old information + new Netbook = Win10 preinstalled

Thanks for all you inputs - some conciliatory , some hostile that I criticized their god ( Linux Lite )  , some insulting me , some encouraging me to carry on.

On that note I think its time to close this Post Down

Colin
Wish you all the best.
I'v been bashing Windows way before Microsoft.....

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 08:09:50 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • Linux Lite OS

• Linux Lite: 5.2 64bit

• CPU: Intel Xeon Dual CPU's E5645 2.4GHz 12 Cores

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650