You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Grateful user on year 2004 Laptop

Author (Read 2771 times)

Re: Grateful user on year 2004 Laptop
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 09:26:48 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
 No problemo :)

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

Re: Grateful user on year 2004 Laptop
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 07:37:08 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Whooo! Pentium 4 with 1.4GB RAM.That things can run Doom2 fast! ;)
Like the old Atari ad, "Computers don't get older, they get better."
You can almost taste it! (well, I don't really drink Wine, so here's a random pic)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

Grateful user on year 2004 Laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 02:58:12 PM »

Lovelinuxlux

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Mobile Pentium 4 538

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
I have held onto a Toshiba Satellite A75 laptop (2004) as a kind of toy for testing out -- and playing around with -- lightweight Linux distros.

[Pentium 4 with about 1.4 GB RAM (upgraded from 512 MB); unit is 16 years old in 2020]

I have installed NOTHING other than Linux Lite and won't even bother with anything else.

I first installed Linux Lite 3.6 on this unit almost two years ago but did nothing much with it except to run updates every 8 months or so.

[Linux 4.x -- being 64-bit only --  is not an option. It is so great that Linux Lite 3.6 will be maintained until 2021]

I just want to say I am certain that Linux Lite is the perfect Linux distro for the above specs of this ancient dinosaur.

However, browser usage of this machine is quite <precarious> and finely balanced -- with almost no room for modification -- or else usability is wrecked.

When browsing, I keep JAVASCRIPT disabled -- and I only use Firefox on rare occasions.

==> The main-important-huge point I want to make is that it is *only* the MIDORI BROWSER (v.0.5.11 released August 30, 2015) that makes this unit "not-utterly-annoying" for browsing.

Specifically, the fans of this unit -- overstuffed with a Pentium 4 desktop chip -- REV UP up to LOUD Jetliner Turbo speeds on the slightest provocation when browsing to any webpage with multiple Javascript items running (ruining on?) the page...especially with Firefox.

==> The MIDORI BROWSER is my salvation, and makes this ancient unit running Linux Lite nicely useable.

Finally, just yesterday I activated zRam via "Lite Tweeks" -- and it made a *clearly* perceptible and satisfying difference in speed and responsiveness [!!]

Thank you Jerry and Linux Lite!

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section