You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Glad To Be Here!

Author (Read 13877 times)

Re: Glad To Be Here!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 09:52:02 AM »

rijnsma

• Forum Regular
  • Never give up..
    • View Profile
And Linux is rather safe. And it is mostly free of charge. :smile:
Have a nice time.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 10:36:18 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
No.  This forum is the only current source for support.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 08:28:13 PM »

Delta555

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GTX 1660

Thanks for the warm welcome guys and gals.

Haven't checked out the IRC channel yet, I skimmed by a post saying that support was no longer being offered through chat anymore. Is the LL IRC room still a good place to check out?

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 06:12:26 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello Delta555,

Welcome to the forum and Linux Lite community  :)

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 03:39:24 PM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

Welcome
Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 12:44:53 PM »

Delta555

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I  loaded my first Linux .iso not more than 14 days ago and I was amazed at what I was missing out on. I'm having so much fun just reading up on all the differing flavors and the history of it all.

I think the biggest aspect for me though is the community. I never engage in social behavior online because of all the bickering. However,  every interaction I have had with the members of the Linux community has been positive. It really makes me want to do something to give back.

So, when I become a guru, I will have to pay it forward. That, and a few donations$$$

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 11:40:13 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

^^Just use Windows enough to not justify a dual boot, huh?

I tried dual booting at first.  And for the same reasons YouTuber Joe Collins mentioned about dual booting, I gave that up quickly.  I often found myself perusing the Linux Lite file system to open a document residing on my Windows partition. 

It only took me as long as I did to give up dual booting because I was the only person I knew using Linux.  I had to discover on my own the Linux alternatives to the things I was using in Windows.  Now I ask people what their must haves are.  When I don't hear anything that is Windows only, I'm able to confidently assure them that there's a Linux answer for all their have-to-haves.  If not, I try to take their Windows license and put it into a VM.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 11:23:06 AM »

Jocklad

• Banned
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb
Welcome to the forum Delta555.   :) :)

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 10:47:59 AM »

Delta555

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I'm glad Win 7 isn't my daily driver anymore, and I only need to turn it on (in a VM) once or twice per 6 months.  I don't hate it.  I've just been around the block.  I know its limits.  I know the maintenance involved to get it to behave, and it's too much for personal home use. 

Thanks a lot for the salutations.

^^Just use Windows enough to not justify a dual boot, huh?

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 10:29:18 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

Welcome to the forum.

I can identify with trying to make Windows more pleasurable.  My laptop is represented by the specs you see with my profile.  But when I first put Linux Lite on it, it had 8GB of memory.  Running Windows 7 with that 8GB of memory and an Intel i5 duo-core quad threaded 2.6 GHz processor wasn't fun.  I don't miss it at all.  Linux Lite ran very well on the 8GB of RAM.  The reason I maxed it out to 16GB is because I knew I'd be running virtual machines, and a Win 7 VM would be one of them.

I'm glad Win 7 isn't my daily driver anymore, and I only need to turn it on (in a VM) once or twice per 6 months.  I don't hate it.  I've just been around the block.  I know its limits.  I know the maintenance involved to get it to behave, and it's too much for personal home use. 

I've said the Internet wouldn't be what it is today if it had to wait for everyone to be able to afford Apple products.  Likewise, I think tablets, cell phones, and desktop Linux are what they are today because desktop computing using Windows comparatively became the worst performing tech in people's personal lives.  Overpriced or low performing tech elsewhere have made the people around me, who still use a PC, easy to convert over to Linux Lite.

Again, welcome to the forum.  You're in the right place!

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 10:24:09 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

Welcome aboard!!

I too almost threw out a netbook with 1gb ram only to be revived by LL :)

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

Glad To Be Here!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »

Delta555

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hey people!

I have been on hiatus from in-depth computering since, well, having 512MB  memory was a top of the line, flight-sim wrecking, super computer.

I know, I know, there are people from before then but that's beside the point. I recently had to use a small, under powered net-book while my main computer was out of commission. It would literally take me Thirty minutes just to activate G-mail. I tried everything in my limited repertoire of OS knowledge to streamline Windows, but it was no use. Then I started browsing YouTube for hints and stumbled upon Linux.

Now i've been messing with computers since about '95 and had heard of Linux or Unix all through the years and I even dabbled in IRC chat. All I knew about Linux was that it was buggy and you had to memorize a literal index of commands to use it. Needless to say, I wasn't interested. That is until just Two weeks ago actually.

Found LL on Distro Watch and it was a god send. Easy to install, plenty of options for a computer to just browse the web and listen to music and best of all, my little 1GB memory computer ran butter smooth!

I then found this forum and started reading and was blown away by the willingness to help and the community aspect of it. I don't do social media or any types of online interactions for that matter except for corresponding with humans from the 'real' world, hehe.

Anyways, I am glad to have found this resource and I hope to contribute to the community!

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section