You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Engineer - New user switching from XP

Author (Read 8626 times)

Re: Engineer - New user switching from XP
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 06:27:18 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Welcome to Linux Lite. If your PC has the available resources, any one of the aforementioned workarounds should do...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 11:00:48 PM »

ohjrson

• I know enough to get into trouble
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Quad core

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: internal

• Kernel: 6.x
OK I am not a CAD user by any means, However I know that you can use Blender in many ways. Its probably not what you really need, but there are things you can do in there you can't on others. (I've heard.)

Other than that. Welcome to the Linux Lite Community.
LL 6.6 Dell Power Edge T310 Quad core 32g
LL 6.6 Acer E5-722-49HD A4-7210 Quad core
LL 6.6 Acer AX3812-E9502 intel Quad core
LL 6.2 Dell Optiplex 755 intel Core 2 duo
LL 3.8 Acer Aspire 3000 AMD processor
Simple, Fast, Efficient, Free, and Beats Windows all to hell.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 10:52:29 PM »

shengchieh

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tux's Links
Tons of linux CAD programs.  Go to

http://shengchieh.50webs.com/tuxslinks.html
-> softwares
-> CAD

and check whatever else you need - tons of stuffs on my website..

Sheng-Chieh

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 05:15:05 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Also, Depending on your laptop/desktop specs. You can run Windows inside of

Code: [Select]
$ apt-cache policy virtualbox
virtualbox:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 4.3.10-dfsg-1
  Version table:
     4.3.10-dfsg-1 0

Linux Lite if you so wish to just run that one program. I am in the same boat but with this kind of drm software instead.

Just another option if your system is strong enough. I totally understand about being pushed into a corner.

Howdy and Welcome.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 05:17:34 PM by rokytnji »
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Hello and welcome Engineer. There is the possibility that you won't have to still run windows in order to use your CAD software. You can run windows programs from within Linux with a program called Wine. First step is to install Wine. Menu, Install Updates then Menu, System, Install Additional Software. Then head over to here - https://www.winehq.org/search?q=Bentley and have a read through some of the links there to give you an idea of compatibility. From what I have read so far, the results are very mixed. With Wine there is never a guarantee. If you are serious about leaving windows, I know it would be inconvenient to learn new CAD software, but remember this, at one time you had to learn Bentley, and nothing is ever handed to us on a plate, we have to work for what we need in order to progress.

Bitsnips has a wonderful list here of linux alternatives for windows software - https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=833.0 also http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/08/8-best-cad-apps-for-linux.html Welcome to the world of Linux :)

Engineer - New user switching from XP
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 04:19:39 PM »

engineer

Hello,

I installed Linux Lite yesterday and look forward to hopefully transitioning to Linux full time in the near future.  This is my very first experience with a Linux OS, and the process is somewhat daunting.   One of the main reasons for the transition is that I really like what I see in the Linux community, you guys and gals are amazing.  Consequently, I have become disappointed and frustrated with Microsoft and their business practices.  It is obviously time for me to make a change and support (YOU) and Linux.

My issue right now is software compatibility.   I am a Civil Engineer and have been using Bentley Microstation as my Civil Design software.   To my disappointment,  I telephoned Bentley and their software is not compatible with Linux.   So this will require a new software package to learn, on top of learning Linux.  I did find one CAD software company, BricsCAD, that supports Linux, however I can not find a third party Civil Design package that will run on Linux.    So.... what to do? 

It looks like I will have to continue using XP and Microstation until I can find a Civil Design Package that will run on Linux.   It is hard to believe that I am the only engineer facing this issue?  Surely other engineer want to utilize and support Linux and ditch Microsoft?    Time will tell..

Thank You!

engineer

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section