You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Farewell

Author (Read 11608 times)

Re: Farewell
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 08:09:50 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Locked upon request of OP.

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 07:17:20 PM »

LinuxNoob

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 6x AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780
Quote from: rokytnji on January 29, 2016, 07:41:13 AM
Just a point of clarification.  Your profile says you have 256 mb RAM . Is that correct?  If so you are getting windows 10 to work on your setup.

Just a guess. But that is probably video card ram.

Sorry your putting 2+2 together = win10  is the wrong conclusion ----- Old information + new Netbook = Win10 preinstalled

Thanks for all you inputs - some conciliatory , some hostile that I criticized their god ( Linux Lite )  , some insulting me , some encouraging me to carry on.

On that note I think its time to close this Post Down

Colin
Wish you all the best.
I'v been bashing Windows way before Microsoft.....

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 06:00:11 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
Not prepared to learn by heart "Commands ant their syntax " ...

I do not use the command line either unless I just copy and past something into the terminal. If I wanted to do that, I would have stuck with DOS.  ;D This has never been a problem for me using Linux Lite.

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 04:03:18 PM »

Colin23erk

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 256mb
Quote from: rokytnji on January 29, 2016, 07:41:13 AM
Just a point of clarification.  Your profile says you have 256 mb RAM . Is that correct?  If so you are getting windows 10 to work on your setup.

Sorry your putting 2+2 together = win10  is the wrong conclusion ----- Old information + new Netbook = Win10 preinstalled

Thanks for all you inputs - some conciliatory , some hostile that I criticized their god ( Linux Lite )  , some insulting me , some encouraging me to carry on.

On that note I think its time to close this Post Down

Colin

I Learn something new Every Day !
An "example" is worth a 1000 words

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 08:22:15 AM »

paul1149

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Enjoying Linux
    • View Profile

• CPU: C2D

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia
Sorry to see you go, Colin. I can understand your complaint to some extent. The new versions of Slimjet are not installing on LL, and the recourse is to install them raw using the tar.xz. I think I could pull that off, but I have no idea how it will affect the existing and working older install of Slimjet, or how it would affect the system. So for now I'm sticking with the older Slimjet and hoping for a .deb fix on their end.

But that is fairly unusual. Most everything here runs smoothly, and it is quite rare that I have to use the CLI. I'm definitely more proficient on Windows at this point, including its CLI, but I am learning Linux, and with periodic system images and data backups behind me, the pace and the risk have been manageable. I think LL is pretty much in a sweet spot for Windows transitioners that way.

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 01:23:23 AM »

LinuxNoob

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I think he'll need more ram for W10.....

Added: I agree with Pauloz, grab an old computer try it on that and treat it as a hobby when ever you get bored of windows.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:31:35 AM by LinuxNoob »

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 07:23:15 PM »

pauloz

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 2x Genuine Intel(R) CPU U7300 @ 1.30GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb
Colin

Sorry to see you go, however I want to throw in my two bob's worth. I'm in my 63rd year and started learning about computers about 15 years ago. I'd never heard of Linux until about 7-8 years ago when an associate at work mentioned it to me after he heard me complaining about Windows (again). He introduced me to Ubuntu, which at the time was the most popular distro.

I remember starting with 10.04 and absolutely loved it. Ubuntu then switched over to the Unity desktop, which I was not keen on and about 15 months ago, discovered Linux Lite. The terminal commands initially scared the life out of me but over time, I gained the confidence to use them as recommended on the forums. That's as far as I go with them and it's easy to copy and paste from the instructions given.

My point is don't entirely give up on Linux. If you know anybody who has an ageing laptop and doesn't want it, have a tinker with it to give you greater confidence. I've come to admire the passion of Linux people and their willingness to help. Sure, some may come across as "techies" who do assume a level of expertise but they're in the minority.

I do hope you will reconsider Linux - for security, speed and reliability, in my humble opinion no other operating system gets close - that's the big plus.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:23:58 AM by pauloz »

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 03:31:25 PM »

Colin23erk

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Not prepared to learn by heart "Commands ant their syntax " most of which I will never need
Unhappy that I am not proficient enough to use them as they are NOT forgiving ie Command not recognized"  if one " "space is missed

I have more than sufficient problems already

Colin

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 01:51:38 PM »

fishmanluvslinux

• New to Forums
  • Loving My Linux Lite
    • View Profile
    • Fishman Loves Linux

• CPU: Intel Celeron G1620 @ 2.70 Ghz

• VIDEO CARD: NVidia GT210 1024 DDR-3
Sorry to see ya go. I have been using Linux Lite for 3 years now and I simply love it. My 71 year old Dad has too and just loves it also. But if a person is unwilling to learn the way the system works then I can see the problem already. I just hope that whatever you use that you will not let that keep you away from us here that enjoy your friendship. Maybe one of these days you will want to try again as an enthusiasts on a machine that you can just play with. I wish you all the best with whatever works for you. =]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:53:10 PM by fishmanluvslinux »
People Are More Important Than Software!

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 07:41:13 AM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4

LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 07:14:57 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

I am far from sure that I could get Windows 10 to work on my tosh sat pro A10, even with 1 GB RAM.

The family has two Fujitsu Siemes Si 1520 each with 2 GB RAM - One struggles with Windows 7, the other identical machine "flies" with LL 2.6 - No comparison. Setting up the UK keyboard for LL did need some trial and error though - otherwise worked "out of the box" and VERY stable.  Also HDD space usage for LL OS is about half that for Windows 7 !!!

As a silver surfer myself I found the investment in learning different ways  was well worth it, especially to  get free from the OS/hardware upgrade commercial gravy train so extending the working life of perfectly performing older hardware ( myself included :) )

I had previously tried other versions of linux, but found these  either to be too feature rich so that they were slow on my hardware, or too complicated to set up for a complete newbie.

Fortunately I found LL, and it has been a complete success - sole OS now as a SOHO heavy  user where reliability/stability is paramount; the forum also providing moral support through the/my transition.

LL certainly deserves more recognition and advocacy.  With  Windows Vista passed its cell by date and Windows 7 soon to follow, Windows users need to be aware that an alternative OS and support base is available to them.

My only wish is that a reliable speech to text dictation package could be found for  LL

my 2ps worth.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 08:34:12 AM by newtusmaximus »
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 05:19:17 AM »

DLX

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Knows sod all
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 16Gb
Sad see some go. Bye Colin
hope you come back to it
Note to self list to get fixed 1 by 1
Read how to make LL secure.
See what else Linux Lite can do.
I think X kill is cool :)

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 04:31:20 AM »

Colin23erk

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Problems come from nowhere and are inconvenient .
Questions are easy to ask  .
Good solutions are Rare .
Comment and suggestions good and bad , helpful or off subject come (like for me with problems) in abundance
Sometimes after lots of hard effort the lack of progress leads to frustration
So we throw the Baby out with the Bathwater

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 11:26:30 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Jerry I appreciate all the work you do! Keep up the good work.

Thanks, but I have to say we have a great team here who selflessly give their time to help those in need. At the end of the day you can't force anyone to use linux, the best you can do is point out the unethical behavior of corporates like Microsoft and hope that people place security and ethics over convenience. In reality that very rarely happens in todays world. We have a long, long way to go, but I will never stop the fight. Cheers LinuxNoob :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:11:37 AM by Jerry »

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 10:18:17 PM »

LinuxNoob

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I used to feel just the same. I ran back to windows many times. As a matter of fact I have run back to windows for almost 7 years now and I'm an old dog as well. I know very little of the command line just basic stuff like

sudo apt-get update / upgrade / install
ifconfig
ls pwd and others

However I have this hunger within me to not have windows as my only option. I look at what we have compared to years ago what linux used to be and I'm amazed at the tenacity of the developers of this linux idea. Everyone works so hard to build these os's and give it all for free. I mean like wow THANK YOU to all that make this stuff real.

I even donated this time and I am 100% all Linux now. So no dual boot on my 2 computers. I would also go as far to say that I'm better at problem solving now. Live n learn I guess.

I would feel very terrible complaining about something that is offered as a free alternative to what we call windows. I mean is it not time to take off the damn training wheels and start using a computer like it used to be.

In my opinion LL holds your hand just enough, not to get in your way. I like that.

Jerry I appreciate all the work you do! Keep up the good work.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section