You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Farewell

Author (Read 11898 times)

Re: Farewell
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 05:26:04 PM »

Colin23erk

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 256mb
Thanks Lynne

Colin
I Learn something new Every Day !
An "example" is worth a 1000 words

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 06:39:06 PM »

Lynne

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

• CPU: Celeron(R) Duel-Core CPU T3500 @ 2.10GHz 2094.90MHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4 Series Intergrated Graphics Controller
@Colin23erk, sorry to see you leave. I'm sure you'll enjoy windoze far more now that you've been around Linux Lite. :)

Just as an aside to all you techies out there ... I still get terribly frustrated with the "assumed knowledge" syndrome that most of you work with. I don't have an assumed knowledge! I didn't wean from the breast onto computers innards or binary code! I'm just an older lady who dabbles at a computer screen looking for GUI programs and thank my lucky stars that I find something stable and workable, and very practicable. So the next time you offer links and terminal commands think of this and see if you can't come up with something else to help out us oldies instead.

Lynne ... :)

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 01:43:30 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
@Colin23erk,

Sorry to hear this, I've no idea where you are  in the UK.
I will send you a PM, If close enough maybe I can help.
Whilst not a Wizard, I have my PC's running fine & dandy.
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 10:40:07 AM »

Jocklad

• Banned
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb
Have to agree with torreydale.

I have Linuxlite running on three machines,two desktops and a laptop.

The laptop is running 2.8 beta.

All running without issue.

After much distro hopping I have found linuxlite to be very stable and reliable.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 10:26:18 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Sad to see a forum regular like yourself leave.

I feel I have to defend Linux Lite in a few matters here, though.  In previous posts, you mentioned you're an old dog and you didn't want to learn new tricks.  In my opinion, you spent much time trying to make this new trick of Linux Lite work like your old trick of MS Windows.  You had some challenges initially getting Linux Lite to work on your hardware.  But after you got it working, with the help of the manual and the folks on this forum, you insisted on having Microsoft Wordpad using Wine, or having Abiword, or OpenOffice instead of using the included LibreOffice.  LibreOffice is feature rich, but you don't have to use all of those features.  You also insisted on dual booting.  Learning these things can be a time pit for someone who doesn't want to learn new tricks.

I have helped transition folks from Windows to Linux Lite in your age bracket and I would, as their friend or relative, discourage them from all that.  I am an IT professional, and I avoid those potential time pits for myself.  I have commented on this forum that Linux Lite has become somewhat boring for me, or a better way to put it is, it's very stable.  I just run updates daily, run backups occasionally, create a new Systemback restore point occasionally, and that's it.  Most of my time troubleshooting Linux Lite issues is on this forum or helping someone I know make the switch. 

During the day, I've put food on the table and gas in the tank solving issues related to Microsoft.  I don't want to do that with my own personal computer during the evenings.  So stable/boring is where it's at.  I'm saddened that you felt your experience was such that it required you leaving the distro.  My experience has been otherwise.  I wish yours had been, too. 

By the way, on your other post, a way to repair Linux Lite is to keep current restore points using Systemback, and revert to them as needed.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:34:46 AM by torreydale »
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 07:03:15 AM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Happy Trailz, Rok
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

Farewell
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 06:30:10 AM »

Colin23erk

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 256mb

After fighting and winning a lot battles with problems relating to Linux-Lite  the War still goes on and on so for me its time to admit defeat and go back to Windows . For me LL is not, in spite of all the effort put in by the team, a real alternative to  Microsoft to make LL a everyday user user-friendly with everything using a GUI rather than needing to learn and type in lots of data using a CLI

Thanks to Everyone who have tried to help me in my many hours of need . Unfortunately the ones who do respond are generally into Terminal Commands but not having learnt this low level language with its syntax its difficult for me. How do I know what to do if I do not get the correct response. Is it me or has the solution provider missed some important detail that they expect I should know   etc
At times I made feel that I am inadequate because I want GUI solutions and  I am  not prepared to learn the CLI. If I wanted to be a real geek I could use basic binary 1's and O's to input / output as that is all a computer deals with . Anything above that level is designed to make life for us humans easier . I want the highest level which at the moment is GUI . I just want to use a computer to run  programs and not bother with the OS once I set up its setting to my liking.

I am devoting too much time getting  Computers including Smartphones to work without problems  . We were promised that computer would save us time but thats not my view - they take time away ?

At the moment Windows 10 is working for me ok . Its not perfect and there is too much change for the sake of style .

Good Luck to you all and my you achieve your dreams

Colin

I Learn something new Every Day !
An "example" is worth a 1000 words

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section