You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Automatic upgrade notification

Author (Read 4064 times)

Re: Automatic upgrade notification
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 10:04:40 AM »

mblinux411

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: intel Q9650 Quad Core

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NV98
Perfect, thank you, keep up the good work!

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 09:58:05 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Correct.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 09:49:17 AM »

mblinux411

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Ok, sounds good. Thank you. I’ll keep an eye out to see if I get automatic notifications for updates. So I’m clear, it’s not required to upgrade within a series to still get support, correct? 4.0 will be supported for the same time period as 4.2, 4.4, etc. They will all receive support and updates until 2023, right? I can stay on 4.0 until 2023 without worry of not being up to date, then switch to 5.0 when it’s released.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 01:42:36 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
There is no automatic notifications for available upgrades, if you mean eg. 4.0 - 4.2 There are automated update notifications via Lite Updates Notify.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 09:20:03 PM »

mblinux411

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi Ottawagrant, and thank you for your response. Most of my questions were answered, although, I’m still curious about one. Does LL have any automatic notifications for available updates or upgrades? Meaning I will be notified when updates or upgrades are available without me having to go check for them? I heard about 4.2 being available because I check the website frequently. I was wondering if the operating system is able to provide that info as a notification. Having used Ubuntu pretty frequently for quite a while, I’m use to this happening. Seems like Ubuntu will automatically scan the repository for available updates or upgrades. If any are found, you’ll get a notification letting you know, and gives you the option to install them or not. I see LL has updates notify. Does that work in the same manner, or will I have to manually check my system periodically for updates? I set updates notify to check daily at 7pm. Maybe there hasn’t been any new updates yet and I’m jumping the gun. I’m still trying to learn to use LL, and Xfce for that matter. Just trying to figure out if it’s possible for the system to notify me automatically for updates and upgrades. Thanks again for any and all feedback.

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 06:13:54 PM »

Ottawagrant

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Duo Core 2 E8400 @ 3.00GHz

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43
Hi mblinux411: Here's the good news. You don't have to upgrade to Linux Lite 4.2. You can if you want, but you don't have to. If you check here:https://www.linuxliteos.com/download.php#roadmapWhere it says "Linux Lite 4.8 Release - 1st February 2020 (End of Support April 2023)" that applies to all Linux Lite series 4. So that's 4.0 through 4.8. Since that's 4 1/2 years away you can safely give any & all friends computers with either LL 4.0 or 4.2 & they don't have to do a thing further except regular updates. In April of 2023 you can install Linux Lite 5.0 for everyone. Not too bad to not have any work for 5 years. So every release of Linux Lite series 4 will get all security updates. Nothing else to do.

Automatic upgrade notification
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 03:53:44 PM »

mblinux411

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello all. This is my first post. Hope it’s in the right spot. I’ve been aware of Linux Lite since version 3.8. I recently installed version 4.0 on a few laptops and a desktop I have. I intend to give these away to people who need them, but aren’t to techie or self inclined. I personally enjoy using Linux Lite as it works well for me on older hardware in comparison to Ubuntu, which I have used for years. So, my question that I have is:
When the upgrades happen within a series, will I get a automatic notification letting me know, or will I have to manually check lite upgrades to see if one is available? My thought is, with me giving these pc’s away, how hard is it gonna be for the end users to keep the system up to date with the upgrades every 5 months or so. So far on my own desktop, I haven’t gotten a notification that 4.2 is available. Should I  have gotten an automatic notification? I have turned on automatic daily update notifications, but does that also cover upgrades too? Just wanted to figure that out. I haven’t got an automatic notification pop up for updates or upgrades as of yet. My updates notify is set to daily at 7pm. Manually checking will produce updates needed, and manually checking upgrades will show that 4.2 is available. If possible I  would like to see a pop up saying a new version is available. Is that suppose to happen? Thanks for any and all feedback.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section