You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Another refugee from Windows XP

Author (Read 3654 times)

Re: Another refugee from Windows XP
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Hi Br1anstorm,

Welcome from another new to Linux member...
Having been through 8-10 distro's since January, I think you have made a good choice with LinuxLite.
It may seem overwhelming, but give it a go, post your queries/questions, if somebody can help, I'm sure they will
They have for me.

David
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 04:25:03 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Welcome br1anstorm :)

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 01:12:00 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Welcome to Linux Lite. It's an EXCELLENT way to 'get your feet wet' in Linux. There are a LOT of active forum participants here with varying levels of experience. They're all more than happy to help you resolve any issues you may encounter.

If you use LL regularly, you'll master it very quickly...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:14:32 AM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 06:26:59 PM »

br1anstorm

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks, gold_finger, that's very encouraging. 

I have had a very quick glance at that Newbie Guide, and bookmarked it.  Looks like exactly what I need to help me along the way...

Rgds

br1anstorm

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Already I am daunted - by the astonishing range of possible versions and variations of the Linux OSs.  When Windows comes in just one current OS, with maybe two or three editions, the proliferation of Linux options is confusing.

Welcome br1anstorm,

Yes -- can definitely be overwhelming!  Best to just pick one that is "newbie" friendly and start using it.  Linux Lite is a good one to try and most of what you need to do will not be done with command line.

I am also intimidated - by the extent to which Linux users seem to slide swiftly sideways into the gobbledegook of "cmd" language as a way of explaining or resolving issues.  As someone who has never responded to a command prompt in his life, I am already not looking forward to what happens when you "open a terminal" in Linux.

First -- the command line sounds much more scary than it is.  If you take the time to learn a few basics, you'll be just fine when/if you ever need to use it.

Second -- Not speaking for anyone but myself, I am definitely guilty of giving instructions that involve command line.  Why?  Because it's much quicker to get something done right and because it takes way too much time to try explaining the process of clicking through multiple layers of programs, files, etc.  A solution that can be done in one simple terminal command could take two or three paragraphs of explanations on how to navigate with GUI programs, clicking on various things along the way to get the same thing done.

If you're interested, here are a few good sources to get you going:

*** Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
A free downloadable book that is a good beginner overview for Linux.  It's the fifth book down the list on this page:  Linux Documentation Project Guides.

*** The Ultimate Linux Newbie Guide

Command Line Basics:

*** Introduction to the Command Line

*** LINUX: Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition

*** Linux Shortcuts and Commands
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

Another refugee from Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 12:14:56 PM »

br1anstorm

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Greetings to all....

This is my first post, just to get acquainted with the forum and its members.

I suspect I am one of a rapidly growing number who are preparing to make the leap of faith from Windows XP into the Linux universe.

Already I am daunted - by the astonishing range of possible versions and variations of the Linux OSs.  When Windows comes in just one current OS, with maybe two or three editions, the proliferation of Linux options is confusing.

I am encouraged - by the multitude of forums, blogs and websites which offer wisdom and advice.  I have already tried to browse through some of them.  But it's almost a lifetime task!

I am also intimidated - by the extent to which Linux users seem to slide swiftly sideways into the gobbledegook of "cmd" language as a way of explaining or resolving issues.  As someone who has never responded to a command prompt in his life, I am already not looking forward to what happens when you "open a terminal" in Linux.

I am as new to Linux as it's possible to be.  But the fact that I have registered here proves that I have dipped my toe in the water, and decided (at least for now) that opting for Linux Lite may be the best way into this new world.

I confess that I have not even installed Linux Lite yet!  I have just tried it out by running it from a LiveCD.  Already some questions have arisen.  But I'll raise them in separate posts in the appropriate forums.

Meanwhile, I hope this journey will be interesting, fun, and not too stressful!

br1anstorm

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section