You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

A belated hello

Author (Read 13292 times)

Re: A belated hello
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 11:42:09 AM »

camv41

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Rob: it is amazing how LL can meet so many computing needs.  When something is so diverse, it often comes at a cost -- which for an OS is usually bloat and performance hits.  LL boots and runs very fast.  And it is STABLE.

8) 8) 8)

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 08:47:10 AM »

brewerz

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Rob: it is amazing how LL can meet so many computing needs.  When something is so diverse, it often comes at a cost -- which for an OS is usually bloat and performance hits.  LL boots and runs very fast.  And it is STABLE. 

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 01:02:58 AM »

Teddy

• 'Deep in the heart of Texas!'
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Texmex
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz/Turbo 3.5Ghz Quad Core (Skylake)

• MEMORY: 24Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M - 6GB VRAM

• Kernel: 6.x
Welcome to the Linux Lite community, brewerz! Thanks for sharing your awesome story with us and enjoy Linux Lite 2.0! :)
Theodore,

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11-e015dx (11-inch "Travelbook")
ASUS Republic Of Gamers G752VT-DH74 (17-inch Main) [6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M GPU, 24GB RAM]

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 05:55:53 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Welcome brewerz, and thank you for sharing your story with us :)

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 05:51:30 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Welcome to Linux Lite. It IS amazing how well LL meets a wide variety of needs, isn't it?

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

A belated hello
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 05:41:54 PM »

brewerz

Greetings from Wisconsin!  8)

Over the past 15 or so years, I have been a pure IT manager and watched my UNIX/Linux/BSD/etc. skills fade.  I used to be quite proficient in system admin work, writing Perl scripts, etc.  For a while, I thought FreeBSD was the end all/be all of operating systems, particularly for servers.

With Microsoft's recent sunset of Windows XP support and my owning several older PC's that still seem to have plenty of life in them, I started to look at lite distros.  I initially decided to install Lubuntu on one of my old PC's and was amazed at how simple it was to install.  I was hooked (again) on the freedom, tweakability, speed, innovation, etc. of an open source operating system.  I “binge” installed several distros including Elementary, Zorin, Puppy, PCLinuxOS, SolydX, etc.  Each of them have a lot of strengths and breathed life into my old PC's.  But for whatever reason -- whether it was the video resolution, WiFi connectivity, detecting hardware, general error messages, UI, or whatever else -- I wasn't completely happy.  Maybe I have some strange hardware configurations.  Plus, I'm a musician and wanted to try Ardour as a new DAW alternative to my older Windows-based packages.  Unfortunately, not all of my audio hardware was recognized by several distros and there were usually some other audio issues.

Then I discovered Linux Lite.  It installed quickly, recognized all of my hardware and just worked!

I'm not entirely sure why Linux Lite doesn't get more great reviews & props because I have found it to be just about perfect for my needs.  It has just the right balance of ease of use, great hardware detection, awesome speed & performance, selection of pre-installed apps, aesthetics, tweakability, etc.  And this support forum has been a great way to get answers to questions.

I've already told several family members and coworkers that Linux is no longer a black box with a mysterious question mark on it.  It is ready for prime time use by every day users.  And the distro that I recommend, based on looking at several, is Linux Lite.

HUGE thanks and props to Valtam and the rest of the LL developers for creating an absolutely fantastic distro!  And thanks for supporting this support forum!

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section