You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Backup program

Author (Read 15077 times)

Re: Backup program
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 09:14:26 AM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I m using SystemBack , saved on installs time on my end . It s the only one that worked for me up to gate , but some backup tools in this thread that I haven t used yet , so can t comment on those .
HP DV7 i7 2670QM 500.1GB 8GB Ram Dual-Boot LL2.4 Beta / Extix 15.1.1 64-bit 
Dell Inspiron 1720 CrunchBang 11

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 06:52:06 AM »

Mike

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Enthusiast
    • View Profile
I meant never in terms of the reliability of their service. :)

While I do appreciate their 448 bit encryption, I know it's only a matter of time before a super computer breaks it.

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 03:05:50 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Never say never. Given sufficient computing power and time, ANY encryption can be broken through cryptoanalytic attack.

The goal is to avoid the data being compromised in a meaningful period of time. The boys at Fort Meade (NSA) have a whole complex of Cray supercomputers on hand for just that purpose...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 06:19:52 AM »

Mike

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Enthusiast
    • View Profile
It's not exactly free software but I'm a fan of CrashPlan. You can backup to other folders and computers for free. Or there is a paid option to backup to their servers for a reasonable price which I do pay for because of the high bit encryption. I've had to restore numerous times and they have never let me down.

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 12:17:04 AM »

Robert S

I prefer CloudBacko software for backup plan to my data and information. I am using this software because it provides me free cloud storage combined from Google Drive, Drop Box, One Drive into a large single cloud storage. Data remains secured because healthy encryption is done so that it is impossible to crack such a keys. So i would like to suggest you to try this CloudBacko software for your backup plan. For more information visit...http://free.cloudbacko.com/?r=1d

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 06:04:06 PM »

uxli

Use Back In Time to backup your home directory and any other important files. 

A Newby does not know what are "other important files"

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 07:12:50 PM »

riser

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
??? ... The reason to boot from a Live CD and do a restore is that you OS (Operating System, main partition) got corrupted. ... I suggest you create separate backup volumes for documents/email (more frequent, maybe hourly, backups) and one for media/video (less frequent, maybe daily, backups).

riser

This seem way over my head. Wouldn't be sufficient to just back up the files I created in my home folder and saved e-mails (if I can find them) and if the hard drive got corrupted just reinstall the OS and programs?

(The only partitions that I think I have are a small one for grub and the rest of the HD for Linux Lite.

That is my point.  You don't need to backup the OS, so there is no need to boot from a Live CD. 

Use Back In Time to backup your home directory and any other important files.  I suggested separate volumes within BIT to backup often changing files (usually small),  and not-often changing files (usually large).  You should also exclude some files/patterns from the backup to improve performance and reduce clutter (tmp, cache, *~, etc.).

riser

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 12:21:16 AM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
Thanks

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 09:11:08 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Quote from: Coastie
Wouldn't be sufficient to just back up the files I created in my home folder and saved e-mails (if I can find them) and if the hard drive got corrupted just reinstall the OS and programs?

Yes.  That is pretty close to what I normally do.  Because re-installing is so easy, I don't bother making clones of the system partitions.  I just have backup copies of my important data files, any custom configs, scripts, etc. I've got, and I keep a running list of extra programs I install to the system.  If I change to another distro or update to later version, I just install the new one -- then install the programs I like from my list onto the new one.

I keep my data files on a completely separate partition (which doesn't get touched during any installation), so just link the new distro to it and am ready to go in no time.  I use the Luckybackup program for the data backups, which serve two purposes for me:
1.  To save me in case of a disaster if my data partition gets destroyed.
2.  To sync the same files from one machine to another.

In your case, the easiest thing to do would be to use Luckybackup to backup your /home/coastie directory.  That will backup any data in Documents, Pictures, Music, etc. and will also backup your hidden program configuration files.  If disaster strikes, just do a re-installation, add back any other programs you may have installed before, then use Luckybackup to restore your old /home/coastie in place of the new one.  Everything will be back to the way you had it.  Done.

(By the way, your Thunderbird and Firefox stuff will be restored as well following the above because those are contained under your /home/coastie directory also.)

I'd recommend using a USB stick or external HDD -- otherwise, over time, you'll end up with a million CD's/DVD's.  Just make sure you use one that has the capacity to hold what you're backing up.

Install Luckybackup and give it a try -- it's not hard at all.  Here are basic instructions to backup your /home/coastie directory.

*  Open program:  Menu -> Accessories -> Luckybackup

*  Along right, under "Task", click "+Add" -- which will pop-up a "Task Properties" window.

*  "Name:" -- Describe what this task is for -- eg. "Backup /home directory"
*  "Type:" -- this can be a "backup" or a "sync"; choose "Backup Source inside Destination".
*  "Source" -- type in, or navigate with file button to /home/coastie and hit "open"
*  "Destination" -- navigate to folder on USB/HDD where you want to backup to, hit "open"
*  Check the box next to "Do NOT create extra directory".  (If you were syncing files b/w source and destination you would leave this box unchecked.)

Here is picture of what it should look like.

Only difference you should see is the "Destination".  In this example I'm using a USB stick that I labeled "EXTRA" and has a folder on it called "Backups".  Yours will read differently.  (Side note:  when connecting a USB stick or external drive it will likely be mounted under either "/media", or "/media/coastie" -- so that's where you want to navigate to to find it in the file system.)

Once task is all filled in hit "Run" (top right).  Or, you can click the box next to "Dry", then hit "Run" to do a dry run test of the action.  The dry run will show you what your task is going to do and also report if something is wrong that may cause errors when doing the real Run.

So, there you go -- give it a shot now.  Think you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

P.s.  I normally do the backups manually, but you can use the schedule button (clock) on interface to set up automatic backups if you like.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 06:11:50 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

??? ... The reason to boot from a Live CD and do a restore is that you OS (Operating System, main partition) got corrupted. ... I suggest you create separate backup volumes for documents/email (more frequent, maybe hourly, backups) and one for media/video (less frequent, maybe daily, backups).

riser

This seem way over my head. Wouldn't be sufficient to just back up the files I created in my home folder and saved e-mails (if I can find them) and if the hard drive got corrupted just reinstall the OS and programs?

(The only partitions that I think I have are a small one for grub and the rest of the HD for Linux Lite.

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 01:18:15 PM »

riser

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
It may sound difficult and may be difficult, but probably because it's trying to use BIT to solve a different problem than the one it was designed for.

The reason to boot from a Live CD and do a restore is that you OS (Operating System, main partition) got corrupted.

BIT is not a good solution for backing that up.  You're better off with qt4-fsarchiver or such (full partition backup tools).

You use BIT to backup document, media, etc.  These are things you restore from within your working OS using the BIT interface.

I suggest you create separate backup volumes for documents/email (more frequent, maybe hourly, backups) and one for media/video (less frequent, maybe daily, backups).

riser

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 11:21:02 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

I suggest you look inyo Back In Time.  It is a simple to use program.

I did but as I wrote before "Backintime-Gome was the highest reviewed in the Ubuntu Software Center but one of the reviews said "While I really like the backup process, I do not like the restore process. You have to install BIT manually when using a live CD/USB stick and you have to set the correct hostname. Otherwise BIT is not able to detect its own backup." Not sure what it means but sounds difficult."

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 09:26:04 PM »

riser

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I suggest you look inyo Back In Time.  It is a simple to use program.

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 02:17:52 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

Could I leave a USB stick or a CD in the computer waiting for the next automatic backup?

Would it be better not to use automatic backup and just put the USB or CD in when I want to do a backup?

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 01:56:08 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

I guess it depends on how little (or how much) one has installed, and their particular circumstances.

In my situation, I run a dual LL/Windows 8.1 system with a LOT of added apps and data on several machines, so it's MUCH easier for me to back up periodically. It's saved my skin on a number of occasions, like when an HD died on me or an update went awry...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section