You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

What happened to the Xiphos Bible program ?

Author (Read 3691 times)

Re: What happened to the Xiphos Bible program ?
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 02:49:34 PM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

• Kernel: 5.x
@firenice03
Thanks for replying! :)
It's good to have many use cases! :)

[...] older builds relied more so on them, [...]

I noticed that too!
I never upgraded Inkscape manually in years (I guess I'm using it for more than 10 years, just forgot, it's old times...).
This time was so annoying that I had to do something to get rid of this behaviour. I thought maybe I did something wrong. Searching the net, I discovered that it was a bug, reported many times so the only guess available was that it was fixed in the latest stable release. It seems (so far...) it was.
However, the repo version is still 0.92.x and it crushed too many times to be able to cope with this.
As for the other PPAs, it is OK with all. If some server gets down, I uncheck the PPA, then I update later, if any update is available. It's convenient.
I only have a few actually in use, for DVDStyler, OpenShot (2.5.x, Developer), SimpleScreenRecorder, Inkscape (from now...) and Google Chrome.
Except for Inkscape, I have been using those for years and never had trouble, so far.

Maybe this will be useful for people who use those programs. :)

Best regards! :)
"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 10:42:07 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@Şerban S.
Code: [Select]
PPA's can and at some point may break updates

I too have used PPA's from time to time and older builds relied more so on them, but alas that 'some point' pops up - these questions are frequently posted...
I'm not saying this particular app is unstable by any means or that this app will eventually break updates...

PPA's in general unfortunately have a track record; and its not a case of a few or many or how many use (installed). Not going to deny there is an ease of use to them; add, update and install.... and repeat.. and forget..??..

For those not fully familiar with Linux; whether it be newcomers transitioning or those that just want a system that easy to use.
Seeing updates error.. is an error.. Might as well be a blue screen  ;D   ;D

The manual covers PPA's in detail, along with a lot of great information to get folks up and running but also keeping their system running smoothly. Pointing to the tools  :)

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 06:11:17 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

@arky217
[...] You can install via the PPA.... BUT ** Know that PPA's can and at some point may break updates....
The manual has good to info to know for adding/removing.. https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/software.html#ppa
Good luck

I have some PPAs. Sometime, indeed, for various reasons, they fail to update. It's very easy to proceed with the update. You just follow the error log instructions: uncheck the PPA that failed the update and check it back after update. A few clicks, nothing to delete. Just postpone the update from the server that created the problem. :)
Usually, small Apps lead to this, such as Grub Customizer.
Sometimes it's just a "server down" small window of time so, reviewing the status of the server after a while, might be useful. :)
Also, might be useful to check the development stastus. If the App was abandoned, might be better to leave unchecked the PPA.
There are situations when you need to use a PPA instead of the official repository.
Yesterday I went into trouble with Inkscape. Just refused to copy a selection I needed to copy in a different file. It crushed all the way. That is weird since I have 16 GB of RAM and 4 nucleuses and 8 threads. So resources, were out of question.
I went to the site and saw that there was "a new version". Actually, it is the 1.0 and I thought I had it installed. I checked the version and it was 0.92.1.
I added the PPA and there we are, the bug was solved! :)
However, I have to keep in mind that it may break the updates someday... ;) Like the others, in fact...
It never happened in the latest 18 months or maybe more (I just forgot), but it happened in the distant past so, I learned how to handle this. :)

Best regards and happy Lite-ing! :D
Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 11:39:36 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@arky217

From the link - if you came across...
"Ubuntu users, surf https://launchpad.net/~pkgcrosswire/+archive/ubuntu/ppa because Ubuntu no longer supports a certain library package required by Xiphos for editor support. Other mainstream distributions have latest Xiphos in their distribution pipes."

Due to that missing "library" Synaptic wouldn't be able to install it if it was added back....

You can install via the PPA.... BUT ** Know that PPA's can and at some point may break updates....
The manual has good to info to know for adding/removing.. https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/software.html#ppa

Good luck
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 05:08:58 PM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

Xiphos is no longer in the LL repository, can it be added back ?

Hi! :)

You can check this:

https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos/releases/
Current Machine:
Laptop:

What happened to the Xiphos Bible program ?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 02:40:11 PM »

arky217

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Pentium Gold G5400

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 610

Xiphos is no longer in the LL repository, can it be added back ?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section