You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Virtualbox USB 2.0 works but not shared folders?

Author (Read 6886 times)

Re: Virtualbox USB 2.0 works but not shared folders? SOLVED
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 02:13:00 AM »

kb7ypf

Valtam-

Got it working.  Had to go into LM17 Admin/users & Group/click on user/clicked on "Groups" on the right side/ then clicked on "vboxusers" from a pull down menu, than did a system restart.  After the restart I checked Devices and there my USB's were.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: Virtualbox USB 2.0 works but not shared folders?
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 01:01:23 AM »

kb7ypf

Valtam, yes I added myslef to the vboxusers group.  I will double check right now.  Thanks.

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 04:00:23 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
kb7ypf,

Did you remember to add yourself to the "vboxusers" group?  You won't be able to use the USBs until you do that.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Strange, I have full USB support here on LL 2.0 Someone else may have some answers.

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 03:12:50 PM »

kb7ypf

I deleted the old VM and using the new using the link you provided started a new installation.  Short story.........still no USB.   I did try it on an old windows computer and it worked great so I am led to believe there is some incompatibility difference between LM17/Orcale VM/linux Lite somewhere along the line. 

LM17 has no problem detecting UBSs.  Well anyway not a big issue at this time.  Thanks for your help.

Dick

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 02:51:52 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

See if this information here is of any help - https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/software_tutorials.html#vbox
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 04:20:33 PM by Valtam »

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 10:48:48 PM »

kb7ypf

Thanks Valtam for your response.

Went over the the link you supplied and downloaded the exact version of the expansion pack as the VM I have running.  It loaded and installed nicely.  But I still don't have access to my USB. 

Don't know if it has to do that I am running the VM inside Linux Mint 17 and somehow LM17 is not releasing the USB port/control/access or what ever it is.  Anyway I am not that concerned as I am only testing right now as to when I get my new computer in a few short days I will be able to install Oracle VM and run it under windows 8.1. 

Again thanks.  And if you have any more ideas I will be glad to try.

Dick

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 04:24:47 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Hi All-

My First post, yes a noob  ::)

I have Virtualbox 4.3.12 installed along with the extension pack so I could gain access to my USB.  Every thing works except I can't access the USB.  I went through the installation instructions line by line to ensure I have the right switched turned on/off.  I see below (or maybe above) someone had to get the right extension pack to work so he could access his USB.  So my question is what extension pack should I be using with VB 4.3.1.2?

Thanks much for any assistance.

Dick

Check your exact version number, then get one of the ones at the top here:

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.3.12/

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 04:21:33 PM »

kb7ypf

Hi All-

My First post, yes a noob  ::)

I have Virtualbox 4.3.12 installed along with the extension pack so I could gain access to my USB.  Every thing works except I can't access the USB.  I went through the installation instructions line by line to ensure I have the right switched turned on/off.  I see below (or maybe above) someone had to get the right extension pack to work so he could access his USB.  So my question is what extension pack should I be using with VB 4.3.1.2?

Thanks much for any assistance.

Dick

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 11:15:33 AM »

elliott

i installed both options in the add/remove, booted into virtual box and its allowing me to manual install it and asking me to reboot so that was probably the problem :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:06:10 PM by elliott »

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 10:13:48 AM »

elliott

i have vb setup and am looking at the manual, but like getting usb 2.0 when you install it in the linux lite remove/install additional software i could not get the usb 2.0 extension pack they included inside it to work until someone on the forum linked me to a specific version of it to download and then add to vb. even thought linux lite lists these features as available for download.  so my question is why that when i installed guest-additions which allows me to choose to share folders inside linux lite does it now install to vb, same issue with getting usb 2.0 to work, do i need to manually download a version that is not inside the linux lite install feature?

if anyone got this to work using linux lite install please let me know because i installed it and the package does not seem to show/work in vb just like usb 2.0, or if anyone knows which guest-addition i need to download (4.3.10) it would be greatly appreciated. this just feels a lot like the usb 2.0 issue all over again, they list the features in linux lite install but it does not work until you download the right copy..

:)

"THE VIRTUAL BOX GUEST ADDITION IS NOT INSTALLED" is the message i get, even after installing it via linux lite. :( and i did add a folder and give it all rights, the issue seems to be the package not installing via linux lite after choosing it in their add/remove software.i see that it has more than once choice for guest-additions so i will try to pick both or more and see if it works from linux lite install/remove now.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:56:55 AM by elliott »

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 08:41:42 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

elliott, the correct way to install Virtualbox is already covered in the Help Manual under Software, Software Tutorials, VirtualBox. All the steps are laid out there. Once you have set up folder sharing, the host files are in the media folder in the Virtualbox machine.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 08:20:38 AM »

elliott

does anyone know if the file "Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.10-93012.vbox-extpack" that allows USB 2.0 is also suppose to make folder sharing to work?

or why the Linux Lite Add Software manager doesn't install the right add-on to the version the VB it runs?

confusing before their are so many different types to download and one would think Linux Lite would install the one that works since it is a built in feature in the Os..

hope someone has figured this out because ill finally be able to ditch xp and not dual boot if i can.

thx

Virtualbox USB 2.0 works but not shared folders?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:54:06 PM »

elliott

Hi. someone was nice enough to point to to the file i needed to download for USB 2.0 to work, but when i share i fold it allows me to list it but when in VM when i try to access it i'm told i don't have guest additions? i tried installing it in the Linux Lite add software and still after installing i get the same message. does anyone know which package is needed to get folder sharing to work if not the one included inside the linux lite 2.0 add software app? it is VB 4.3.10

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section