You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

VirtualBox running Mint 18.2

Author (Read 6882 times)

Re: VirtualBox running Mint 18.2
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 06:22:08 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello BarryVG,

good to read you have LL 3.6 up and running with VirtualBox set up how is good for your needs :)

CAINE it is a forensics one I think yes ?
I hear of it mentioned before, they used it CAINE and DEFT.

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 10:42:09 AM »

BarryVG

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 2.80GHz

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Corp 82915G//910GL
Greetings,

VirtualBox has been running exceptionally well.  I've loaded CAINE, Peppermint 8, Sabayon XFCE, Regular XFCE and Zorin.  Currenlty working on Alpine, then onto Chapeau.  I couldn't run the basic setting, so upped memory to 1024 and video to 12mb.  With those no issues.  LL3.6 is running well and no issues noted.  I've not changed my repositories for the ones which are set work fine for me.

Again thanks to all for suggestions and comments.  Greatly appreciated.

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 01:59:01 PM »

BarryVG

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

:) My wait is over.  I downloaded the 3.6 final on the 30th and installed this morning.  Took about 20 minutes to run the entire install including updates.  The Lite Software went through with a breeze.  I included VirtualBox and Wine too.
Install of Virtualbox with the Linux Mint 18.2 XFCE OS is running right now doing final updates.
I believe the install of Kernel 4.12 back in July is what gave me the issues.  Believe that kernel was put into a different location so VirtualBox couldn't configure.  When I tried the beta 3.6, everything was good, so knew the final 3.6 was going to be my answer.
I'm pleased with the wallpapers, great pictures.  All is running well on this system and I'm looking forward to lots of fun.
My thanks to all for their suggestions and their moral support. 

And to think i just recycled a Zenith Z-100 that would only run DOS 3.3, Windows 1.03, and would just about run DBase 4 and a mouse on 512mb of ram.  Amazing how things have improved over the past years.

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »

BarryVG

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

It was the thought process if I checked the 3.6 (even the beta version) to see if i would experience the same issue is why I tried.  Planning on taking the original drive which is at 3.4 and 4.12 and doing a clean install anyway. I've found that doing this instead of an upgrade, it cleans out the system which appears to run better overall.  Two different drives running each running a different version.

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »

Jocklad

• Banned
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb
There is no upgrade from Beta to Final.

You would have to re-install.

Pleased you got it sorted.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:39:22 AM by Jocklad »

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »

BarryVG

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Greetings,

Per Jocklad comments, I swapped out my hard drive, and installed LL3.6 beta.  After updates and installation of Virtualbox, and all the other appropriate software, setup Peppermint 8 and it all worked.  I'm sure the issue I was having was the kernel 4.12 which did not have the modprobe file in the respective folder.   Once the final 3.6 comes out, will redo the system, not doing a upgrade.  It was a smooth setup and I'm sure the next one will be the same.

I did check on bios virtualization, there were three sections,  only one was checked, so I checked all three. 

I fully appreciate all the comments and suggestions.  This forum is a great place to ask the question, and get a great response.  I'll advise when I redo the 3.6 final

I do a help desk function for a company here in Maine.  As most folks run MS Windows, it has been noticed as folks get older, they have a time doing just the basic maintenance, where with Linux, there is, but not as intensive.  My thought is having VirtualBox running, I can display different versions of Linux and the customer could pick one of their choosing.  I will admit, that I am an afficianado of Linux Lite, it has a lot of similarities to MS Windows and most folks who have seen it feel comfortable with the swap.

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 11:32:19 AM »

BarryVG

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Greetings,

Checked system bios and there was an enabled on visualization, however, no checks on Trusted Execution or Enable VT for Direct I/O. so enabled those.  Tried again and got same errors.

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.12.0 (x86_64) 

I had upgraded the kernel after loading 3.4 to this system, so I'm thinking there is an issue here.  When I do 3.6, it says it has 4.4 kernel, so I'll leave that alone.  It is only less than a month away, I can wait.

I noted there is a 5.1 version of Virtualbox, I'm using 5.0.40.  Possibly by that time, LL will be using the newer version.

Thanks much for all suggestion.  I'll advise when I attempt again.

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 12:41:37 PM »

Jocklad

• Banned
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Is there a setting in the Dell setup utility to allow virtual computing?

TC
Good point Trinidad.

After I downloaded the Peppermint 8 iso and started Virtualbox I had to go back into BIOS and enable Virtualisation on this Dell Optiplex 780
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:46:24 PM by Jocklad »

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 12:07:28 PM »

Jocklad

• Banned
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Linuxlite 3.6x64 beta.

Have just downloaded Peppermint 8 and installed in virtualbox.

Running in VM no problem at all.

Whether its anything to do with the Kernel or not.........Have no idea.

Need someone more experienced than me to answer that one.

Hope you get it sorted.

Jocklad  :)

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 10:33:26 AM »

BarryVG

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Greetings,

Reran the start of Peppermint 8 in Virtualbox after booting system.  Again the virtual machine failed to open session saying modprobe vboxdrv was missing in the 4.12 folder.
Reloaded the dkms for 5.0.040 and got this:

Loading new virtualbox-5.0.40 DKMS files...
Building only for 4.12.0
Building initial module for 4.12.0
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.12.0 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.0.40/build/make.log for more information.

Think I'm going to wait until LL3.6 final comes out and attempt at that time using the kernel that comes with that version.  I'm thinking the update to kernel 4.12 is the issue.

I'll update once I've gone past the 3.6 install.  Thanks all.

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 06:03:05 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello BarryVG,

images have to be stored on an image host.
I use http://tinypic.com/  for screenshots, they are uploaded, a captcha has to be typed, then of the links made highlight the one beginning and ending in IMG tags inside square brackets, copy/paste this into your post and the image will appear on the post.
No login or user account is needed at tinypic.

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 12:47:12 PM »

BarryVG

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

What fun this is.   Have rebooted a few times, removed and reinstall the dkms stuff, tried to do the modprobe vboxdrv, no luck.  Took screen shots of the errors and attempted to attach, no luck, cannot attach png files.  Converted the png to jpg, cannot use that format either.  So have attached two text files with the errors.  The command screen file at the end says there is an error building the module for kernel 4.12  Wonder if this is the issue and should I wait for the next LL 3.6 version.  Has taken me a bit to get this system up, since BIOS was about 7 versions old and had to get that up so it would recognize the 1tb drive I put in.  Again, thanks much for any guidance and suggestions.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello BarryVG,

have you rebooted your computer (to load the headers) since updating the Linux headers ?
(this was the solution for this on ArchLinux bbs)

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »

BarryVG

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Well, unloaded and reloaded virutalbox.  Followed the manual which was something I had not picked up before.  Installed the extensions, for V5.0.40 and setup the ISO source, but when starting, got the same messages moomdule vboxdrv is not found.  So search says to load headers, found that reference, did that, still not finding vboxdrv in 4.12 folder.  As I did a upgrade to the kernel per information from this site, i wonder if this is the reason.  This is becoming a bit frustrating.  The help manual did not discuss headers.  Any suggestions would be helpful :-\

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 11:50:55 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello BarryVG,

thank you for update, look forward to read how the process goes. :)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section