You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

VirtualBox running Mint 18.2

Author (Read 6881 times)

Re: VirtualBox running Mint 18.2
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »

BarryVG

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 2.80GHz

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Corp 82915G//910GL
Hi again and thanks for the comments. I'm running bios 4.12 per instructions from this forum.  I don't think I've run the extension, so will look at that.  I also started Peppermint 8.0 thinking I may have missed something, it too is doing the same errors messages.  I'll feedback I'm my process. :P

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 11:25:42 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Is there a setting in the Dell setup utility to allow virtual computing?

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 11:23:12 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello BarryVG,

I am using LL 3.2 with VirtualBox, I set virtual box up following the tutorial in the manual as I had not used it before, the process went fine.  https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/tutorials.html#vbox
Part of this involved setting up a VirtualBox Extensions pack.
Have you set up the extension pack also ?

In the search I found this https://askubuntu.com/questions/692982/virtualbox-failed-to-install-after-upgrade-to-15-10
Which has info about removing and purging VirtualBox if you need to do a fresh install.

Other than these I don't really have any other ideas, and do not want to make any issue worse with experiments.

I did notice a thread today on the forum that says Mint 18 uses kernel 4.10, is it likely that the newer kernel is the causing the problem ?
Although using LL 3.2 if you want me to I can d/l  Mint 18.2 and see if it runs in VirtualBox to help determine whether or not the kernel it uses is the cause, or if it is something specific to LL 3.4, to try and reduce/isolate the cause a little bit, just let me know please, and if so a link to the desktop version of Mint you are using ?
I use kernel 4.9 in LL 3.2
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 11:27:03 AM by bitsnpcs »

VirtualBox running Mint 18.2
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »

BarryVG

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 2.80GHz

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Corp 82915G//910GL
After installing VirtualBox using Lite Software, setup Mint 18.2 and when I started it, got an error messag that a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv   It then says to install virtualbox-dkms package and load kernel module by executing  'modprobe vboxdrv as root.

Did this and the package will still not run.  Uninstaled and reinstalled Virtualbox and still no headway.  What am I missing.

Running on Dell Precision M4500 i7 with 8gb ddr3 ram.
Systems runs LL3.4 very well and I was hoping to use Virtualbox with this as it was in the Lite software and hopefully ready to run after installation. :-[

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section