You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Virtual Box problems - no USB devices and broken package

Author (Read 12718 times)

Re: Virtual Box problems - no USB devices and broken package
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 01:34:12 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I know the feeling! With my XP laptops all dying, I wanted to put this burden on LL. I've recently run some tests at last, and the printer is looking good now on Virtual Box. I should mark this thread solved. Even if my solution came from bits of the advice, the whole thing will probably provide helpful clues to others...

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2016, 07:37:09 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

I have an HP LaserJet 3100. On THAT printer, you pretty much have to use the software that came with it. It won't work on anything past XP, and won't work on any kind of virtual machine whatsoever.
I finally had to dedicate an old laptop on XP to it. I use TeamViewer to transfer files I want to print on it to that machine, and print them from THERE...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2016, 04:35:04 AM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Yes, absolutely essential reading for me, and that's what got the printer more or less running on the laptop, which I had never managed before on other distros or much earlier LL versions. That is why I was surprised when the printer acted differently on 2.8 on the new machine.

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 09:30:56 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Have you looked at the Linux Lite Help Manual in the section for printers?  From there, you'll find a section on Canon printers.
Menu > Favorites > Help Manual
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 07:27:13 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Things are looking good now in the XP box - I think a combination of the advice solved the problem, and when the printer finally did show up in the VB menu, it was installable. It has not passed all the print tests yet though, but thanks all round are in order, I just need to test it on photos.

Re the Pixma in LL - I got it to work most of the time on an LL laptop after much tweaking, but have not had any luck with it on the desktop. Someone with a Pixma mentioned having had better luck with earlier LL versions as well, and also said full success had eluded them. Not all of the Pixmas have equally good driver support in Linux, and the ip5000 is one of the unlucky ones if I remember correctly.

On the new setup running LL 2.8 everything _seems_ to be fine, but the printer doesn't respond. Print tests come out in one color. Print jobs remain queued. But if the XP box works even all the printer software and utilities will work as well, so that will keep me happy.

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 07:17:52 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

HHMMM - The Canon IP "should" work in LL...
I added a PIXMA ip100 -- I did have to do some tweaking - If I recall I HAD to install the Canon software, I might of gotten from Canon's website..

HAD is expressed as I messed around forever it wasn't until I installed the SW did it print.. Gimme a few I'll check my notes..
BUT LL does see the Canon :)
And it may be the same in Windows - try installing the SW in windows to see if it will recognize...
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 05:45:47 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
@firenice03 - oh yes, it's turned on!  ;)

output of lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 10d5:1010 Uni Class Technology Co., Ltd
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1058:1021 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. Elements Desktop (WDBAAU)
Bus 002 Device 013: ID 04a9:1097 Canon, Inc. PIXMA iP5000
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c326 Logitech, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

@torreydale - no, I have not updated the XP box to Service Pack 3 yet, I fear complications with that now that XP is unsupported etc, but may as well try that next.

When you say within the XP VM, ... well what do you know, the printer is showing in the USB menu now. I will report back if that simple development will solve all my problems.

Big thanks to all in the meantime...

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 04:30:20 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

1) Is your XP VM on Service Pack 3?
2) Within the XP VM, are you going to the VirtualBox menu and selecting Devices > USB for the printer and Devices > Optical Drives to select the CD/DVD ROM of your host operating system, which I believe is Linux Lite?
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 01:50:24 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Running lsusb in a terminal reveals that the LL machine does see the printer.

Yes, I have right extensions, have already double checked it. I considered reinstalling, but got a message saying the files were identical as well.
Can you post the output of the lsusb command - it may lend some info for those helping...

I never see usb mice listed, they become referenced as PS/2 or touch i believe... Printer, scanner and drives should pass thru.. But the Host may need to know what it is or at least that its attached before it can..

Printer is turned on??  ;)
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 01:46:21 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Firenice03, that is why I was musing about whether the USB choice only referred to external USB drives. I have checked there, and nothing is ever listed. As I have a USB keyboard and a USB printer, I started to wonder if the device definition was restricted to drives. Or if something is wrong with the extensions. But the trouble is currently limited to the printer.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 01:43:42 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Running lsusb in a terminal reveals that the LL machine does see the printer.

Yes, I have right extensions, have already double checked it. I considered reinstalling, but got a message saying the files were identical as well.

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 01:14:58 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Stealing Wirezfree's screenshot...  8)

Now I'm going from memory and this may only apply to flash drives, but...
Under the "USB Devices"  if you expand do you see your devices listed? If so, can you enable/activate the printer?
- Again when I use a usb drive I had to click that device within to allow the guest to see it...

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
I maybe wrong.??
But unless it is recognised correctly under LL it may not pass through to XP.

In LL with printer plugged in, what do you get from doing a:
Code: [Select]
lsusbIn a terminal.?

and you definitely have the correct version of extension pack.? File > Preferences > Extensions

and it matches what is in  Help > About

Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 07:56:57 AM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I have had no problem getting the additions CD recognized and installed in the XP box (though Windows warned me to stop installing it several times).

I still see no USB devices available though, and wonder if this is referring specifically to memory sticks. I wonder also about input devices, as the options are PS2 mice and tablets, which strikes me as unusual. I don't remember encountering this in my previous VB setups.

The printer process fails at the detect printer stage of installation from the printer CD. I can try to install the printer manually while the install CD tries and fails to find the printer, since the drivers are installed at this point - but XP only offers to locate it on standard LPT and COM ports, not the USB ports. It finds the drivers and pretends it is installed, but can't print to it. I've tried reinstalling by moving the printer around to various USB ports, by restarting it during the process, by rebooting XP while it's on, everything. XP just can't find it.

The big question - does it work under LL? Not really, that's the reason I'm trying to create a little old XP home for it. It is a Canon Pixma ip5000 and is a nightmare. I got it working with a LL laptop, but not consistently. I have never been able to get it to print properly on the desktop LL machine, but it is recognized and usually responds, but tends only to print out in one random color.

Canon stopped supporting the drivers long ago, it really needs a 32-bit XP environment to install properly. When my last ancient laptop running XP dies, a perfectly good if inconvenient printer goes with it, so therefore this project.

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 11:24:55 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Regarding "Guest Additions" showing in My Computer
When the Guest is running click on the Devices Menu and select: "Insert Guest Additions CD Image"
The CD image is part of the install

Regarding Printer..
Unless your printer is recognised natively by XP you will still need to install whatever printer software came with it.?
If that's the case...
1. Shut-down Guest, Shut-down Host, and unplug printer
2. Re-boot Host, Start Guest
3. Run Printer software and follow instructions..
    It may prompt you to plugin during install, or tell you to shut-down plugin and re-start.
    You only need to shut-down Guest, plugin and re-start Guest.

USB Printers/Scanner normally pass-thru from Host to Guest, no need to add them in USB devices.
I assume the printer is working under LL O.K.??
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section