You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Virtual Box problems - no USB devices and broken package

Author (Read 12681 times)

Re: Virtual Box problems - no USB devices and broken package
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 10:18:33 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
OK, everything seems to be working and in order, but the XP box does not see the printer on any of three USB ports. I guess that might have something to do with LL not being able to get it to work reliably, though LL does _see_ it.
Good to hear its working!!!?!

Somethings to try..
- - Not VB/Linux specific but gets you thinking...
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/824366

- - VB and Linux Specific
http://askubuntu.com/questions/48982/how-can-i-connect-usb-printer-in-virtual-box-ose-win-xp

Or as LinuxNoob suggests - a filter maybe needed
some info - https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65653
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:26:40 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 06:48:29 PM »

LinuxNoob

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 6x AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780
Have just doublechecked and I do indeed have the correct extensions pack installed for my version, done according to LL instructions. Now I wonder if I should just get the newest version of Virtual Box and install it and start over again. If proper procedure has left me with non-working extensions and a broken package?

I did get it to work once a while ago just to play with my MagicJack with a Vbox of windows7 and I believe if memory serves me correctly, you will have to go a set up a USB filter or something like that in where you set up the machine.

oh and when the machine is running you have a menu where you can also load usb devices.

I did get it to work but the MagicJack did not!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:50:49 PM by LinuxNoob »
I'v been bashing Windows way before Microsoft.....

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 05:54:07 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
OK, everything seems to be working and in order, but the XP box does not see the printer on any of three USB ports. I guess that might have something to do with LL not being able to get it to work reliably, though LL does _see_ it.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 01:00:52 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Ah, thanks! That I did miss.

Re getting Windows to see the guest additions CD, is that an iso file - not sure how you got that to show up.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 12:50:51 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
per firenice03
Menu > type user, and open User Manager
Scroll down and tick vboxusers : Then apply , quit, and re-boot.

Note in Windows, The Guest additions are installed by double clicking the "Guest Additions CD" in My Computer:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:08:57 PM by Wirezfree »
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 12:30:25 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

There is a part where you need to add the user:

From the manual:

Using USB's in VirtualBox

Assuming you've already added the the VirtualBox "Extension Pack",to begin using USB's in your new VM, you need to add your username to the "vboxusers" group. (You only need to do that once, not for every individual VM you make.) You should perform the following steps while no VM's are open.

UPDATE:
This info is just past the virtualbox setup..
I still use VB mostly in Windows and been a while since my last LL VB install (still need to get back to) so a tad rusty... :)
but I don't think you necessarily need to reinstall just yet..
Not meaning to jump in on torreydale.. Thought I'd respond/assist before you wiped out your XP install :)
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

There is a part where you need to add the user:

From the manual:

Using USB's in VirtualBox

Assuming you've already added the the VirtualBox "Extension Pack",to begin using USB's in your new VM, you need to add your username to the "vboxusers" group. (You only need to do that once, not for every individual VM you make.) You should perform the following steps while no VM's are open.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 12:18:19 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Have just doublechecked and I do indeed have the correct extensions pack installed for my version, done according to LL instructions. Now I wonder if I should just get the newest version of Virtual Box and install it and start over again. If proper procedure has left me with non-working extensions and a broken package?

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 12:12:17 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Yes, as I say, I followed the manual instructions. I have done this, and I have no contact with USB devices and Synaptic reports that my guest additions package is broken.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 12:09:58 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I downloaded what I believed to be the full extensions via the instructions in the LL manual, again, since I believe that this has been bundled in such a way that I should be following LL instructions. But despite this the mentioned problems have arisen. Should i uninstall and try to reinstall? Irritating, with a VM already set up...
No need to re-install... As mentioned you need the correct Extension Pack

As stated in the manual:
You need to know the version number of your VirtualBox installation in order to download the matching "Extension Pack". It should be version 4.3.10; but double-check that by clicking Help, About VirtualBox from the main VirtualBox window. Then look along bottom of pop-up window for the version number.
For the latest version, go to this VirtualBox webpage. Otherwise, go here, look for your version number and follow same steps as below to continue.

Find the "Extension Pack" listed under the heading for your VirtualBox version and click on All supported platforms to download it. Save the download to your Downloads folder.

Update: Not sure if 4.3.10 is still the default as there are newer versions - double check your version as labeled.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:11:45 PM by firenice03 »

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 12:01:19 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I downloaded what I believed to be the full extensions via the instructions in the LL manual, again, since I believe that this has been bundled in such a way that I should be following LL instructions. But despite this the mentioned problems have arisen. Should i uninstall and try to reinstall? Irritating, with a VM already set up...

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 11:46:08 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

For your guest OSes to recognize USB items connected to your host, you need to install the VirtualBox Extension Pack that matches the version of VirtualBox you are running.  You'll find that at www.virtualbox.org.  Go to the Downloads link.  From there, find the Extension Pack for your version.  After downloading it, I think you just have to double click on the downloaded file and the Extension Pack will install.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Virtual Box problems - no USB devices and broken package
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:53:18 AM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello,

Trying to get a few Virtual Box machines set up to complete my new office set up, and have encountered problems I haven't run into before. In a Win XP box (only OS that runs my printer...) I cannot get my printer recognized, and for some reason this time I cannot get USB devices recognized by the guest OS.

I went into Synaptic to see if anything was missing, and I guess that the guest utilities are not installed - but I cannot install them because virtualbox-guest-x11 package is broken.

Since I know LL is supposed to curate the Virtual Box software, and I haven't had problems doing this earlier, I thought I should ask here rather than trying to look for a generic answer - can anyone help?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:35:16 PM by mandoran »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section