You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

User Account Permissions and Access

Author (Read 6058 times)

Re: User Account Permissions and Access
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:41:50 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
ke5wxw & Valtam,

Excuse me if I'm wrong here.  SUID seems to be for setting programs that would run with normal USER credentials to run instead as ROOT.  If I understand ke5wxw's objective correctly, it sounds like he/she might be looking to do the opposite -- limit ability of son to do ROOT related things like install/remove software, change system settings, etc.

I don't know how to limit use to just certain programs, but you can easily set-up son's user account to have no ability to do things as ROOT, making it virtually impossible for him to do something that would harm the system.  If that is what you were looking to do ke5wxw, just open the Help Manual to the Install page and go to the section on Adding another user.  (Or you can read same page online here:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#adduser.)

Just create his user account and make sure not to make it part of "sudo" group.  After looking it up (because I didn't know this myself), the "adm" group is not same as "sudo" group.  The "adm" group allows users to read log files.  If you want, you can uncheck that group on son's account as well -- though he won't be able to hurt the system if you leave it enabled.

Regarding limiting him to using only certain programs:  there may be a way to do that, but I don't know it off-hand.  An easy "cheat" way to do it is to just hide the programs in the main Menu.  (That won't actually limit ability to use them, they just won't show up in Menu for him to choose.  If he figures out how to unhide them or that he could still launch them from a terminal, then he'll still be able to use them.)  To hide them from view on the Menu, just right-click the Menu button on the panel and choose "Edit Applications".  Click the different categories of applications on the left side and the programs listed under them will show on the right.  Just uncheck any that you don't want to show under a particular category of applications.  When done, you'll see that they no longer show in the Menu.  Reverse process to get applications to show up again.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

Re: User Account Permissions and Access
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 05:19:49 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Welcome ke5wxw. What you're asking for is not impossible, but if you're new to linux I would venture to say you need a high level of confidence on the command line to achieve such a unique request. I believe what you're looking for is something called SUID, there are some examples here - http://www.linuxnix.com/2011/12/suid-set-suid-linuxunix.html and you would set those permissions on the executable of the program. I'm not entirely happy about a new user trying this, there is no gui way of doing it that I know of. This could get extremely messy and even corrupt your system if your not 100% accurate with what you are doing. I would dodge this if I were you for now. But hey, its up to you.

User Account Permissions and Access
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:41:49 PM »

ke5wxw

Hello all! I have just installed the Linux Lite 2.0 and thnk that it is awesome! I am fairly new to Linux and am having problems figuring out how to do certain things. I had an old laptop with XP on it and wanted to give it life again. This gave me a good excuse to jump in to the world of Linux. I also wanted to make this laptop my sons for when he starts school this coming fall. I am only wanting him to have access to certain individual programs, like Libre, Media player (vlc), etc...just the basics. Is there anyone who can face me in the right direction? Is there a GUI that makes this easy or do I have to learn code? Thank you for such an awesome OS!

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section