Software - Support > Installing Software

Updating Firefox 87 to 110?

(1/1)

Moltke:

--- Quote from: trimis on May 20, 2023, 08:45:54 PM ---It would appear I have Linux Lite 5.4, which I run as LiveCD. Is it possible to update the Firefox to version 110?

--- End quote ---

I think you can run a new version, but since you're running live, unless using persistence, updating it's not possible since all changes will be lost on reboot. But, you can:
1. Download new version from here https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
2. Extract the .tar file.
3. Navigate to the extracted folder and launch Firefox.

Then you can save the ~/.mozilla and firefox (the one containing the files extracted from the tar) folders  to a flash drive or something, so next time you just have to copy those to the live OS and use it again. 

stevef:
Hard to give detailed step by step guidance without knowing more about your set up.

If you have somewhere to store a file, you could try an AppImage version of Firefox.

An appimage is a stand alone executable version of an application stored on your system as a single file which contains everything needed.  To run it just requires a double click on the file.

There doesn't appear to be an official AppImage for firefox, but if you search for "firefox-appimage github" you should be able find the page of a developer 'srevinsaju'

If you trust this source, scroll down a bit to find the link to download a stable release which is currently 113.0.r20230511191846

From that link, download the file ending in .AppImage - approx 85MB

Double clicking the downloaded file should run it.
You may need to make it executable by right clicking and 'Make File Exexcutable'

trimis:
It would appear I have Linux Lite 5.4, which I run as LiveCD. Is it possible to update the Firefox to version 110? Online banking site will not play nice with any lesser version. I'm aware such changes will not persist on the DVD. If it is possible to update Firefox (to the required version) without CLI stuff, I would need a step-by-step guidance, as my skill with Linux begins and ends with getting a LiveCD to boot, and getting Firefox onto the net. Already tried Linux Lite 6.4; it failed to boot. Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version