You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Updates on RC1

Author (Read 9309 times)

Re: Updates on RC1
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 01:14:26 PM »

barnaby

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel
Thanks for the reply. I do understand that when the final version of v5.0 comes out it will mean a new installation, not an upgrade. I still remember the earlier version of Lite which I used some time ago. This time I could have tried a re-boot, but decided to kill the process. And configure and fix-broken  I have used before. I am watching out  for the final version to be ready, and then I can start helping my friend, virus permitting. He has never tried Linux so it should be interesting!!

Re: Updates on RC1
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 10:18:20 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x

@barnaby The lock... if it was the error... Could have been some sort of app (i.e. Synaptic) currently opened that had the file locked.
Or another update currently running or something with the packages.

Typically closing the window/application and rerunning updates is all that is needed.. Or a reboot will ensure the application is closed.

Also... you may want to know that the RC is a test/trial of the up coming LL5.0 release (due out in June).
- There will not be an upgrade path to future versions of the 5 series (LL5.2/5.4 etc...)

The final (LL5.0) release will include any fixes/enhancements found during the trial.

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

Updates on RC1
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 07:58:35 AM »

barnaby

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel
I have been asked by a friend to help them move over to Linux. In the past I have used L Lite and I thought that would be a good distro for him. I installed version 5.0 RC1 on one of his laptops, no problem. But, today when I tried to install updates I did have  some problems. First was a problem with process 2887 which was causing some kind of lock to be set. I managed to kill that one. Then I had to run dpkg configure. And then fix-broken install. OK. I have now  been able to install all the updates and Lite is now up to date.
I have been using Linux for 20 years now. I do not pretend to be an expert, but I did manage to sort out the above. However there is no way that my friend could have managed all that. Am I missing something here? Perhaps the final version will have updating working properly. Or perhaps from now on it will just work. I can test that next time there are  some  updates available. And I do realise that I must install the final version for him once it is ready.
Any comments/advice gratefully received.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section