You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Trying to install gnucash

Author (Read 3312 times)

Re: Trying to install gnucash
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 11:40:15 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Thank you for explaining.

So many people are helpful to each other on this forum, I try to join in where I am able and do the same.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 10:41:53 PM »

Learning

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core QL-65

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: RS780MC Mobility Radeon HD 3100
You're Welcome  :)
What is MSFT ?

If you click modify on your first post in the thread the drop down box has an option for selecting solved.

I'm not an instructor hehe, you're verry kind  :)
MSFT is an abbreviation for MicroSoFT, and you may not be an instructor, but you would be a good one.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 09:49:32 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

You're Welcome  :)
What is MSFT ?

If you click modify on your first post in the thread the drop down box has an option for selecting solved.

I'm not an instructor hehe, you're very kind  :)

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 09:32:42 PM »

Learning

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Wow, bits be awesome! You nailed it, except for the fact that my earlier effort never even got the app installed. All I had to do was delete the downloaded folders before following you instruction, which was so precise and clear, it was even easier than any MSFT install i ever did! Thank you!

One last question. How do I mark an issue as solved, or resolved? Again, I thank you. You are an excellent instructor.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:38:08 PM by Learning »

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 07:08:54 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello,

To install gnucash*

if you -
1/ go to Menu>Install/Remove Software
2/ enter your password
3/ type gnucash into the search
4/ right click and select "mark for Installation"
5/ click "Apply" button at the top of the gui
    It will install and dependencies.
6/ after installed click file>quit

*It would be best to remove the gnucash internet download before using Install/Remove Software search  to find and install it, as there was a difficulty with the internet downloaded install.
To do this -
On the left upper pane of Install/Remove Software you can select "installed" then the results will only be the currently installed programs, you can right click any result you wish to remove and choose "Mark for Complete removal" , do this for gnucash, then click apply, after it's done File>quit.

Useful -
If you were searching for something in this tool (Synaptic), or were browsing through the list, you can left click on a name in the results and it will give an explanation in the lower pane about the program and install, which I find helpful when I am looking for stuff but am unsure of its name, so need to check if it sounds suitable for what I need.

Bug -
Regarding "N: Ignoring file '20auto-upgrades.ucf-dist'... it's nothing to worry about and can be prevented from appearing again Here is the fix from Jerry

Additional -
Sometimes it is very easy to install software using the Lite Software (in menu), I installed VB for the first time tonight from this. Using the tutorial in the Help Manual.
Other times the software can be in Install/Remove software, a database of programs available to install/or installed.
Another way is PPA**, it is packages you may see these on a website, or a link on the forum, along with the command for the exact PPA to use in terminal.
Another way I used recently for the Intel graphics stack was a .deb file, the Ubuntu Team said to me this is like an exe file in Windows, you run it, when choosing option for d/l in Firefox, I had asked which folder to unpack it to etc.
I have since read some say not to run it but to use another method in case it creates an issue, but from Intel the .deb worked correctly using run in firefox.
There may be other ways but I haven't used or came across any of them so far.

It sounds a lot of ways for installing software, but it is really straight forward, I look in Lite Software, (mostly I know what it has as I used it often), then I try Install/Remove software for the database.
Only then would I look to the internet.
**PPA it allows the owner to update parts of you system, most are honest I have not had any problems, but there can always be malicious people in the world, so there is a potential risk from them, this can be avoided using the Menu>Install drivers>Other Software tab, and untick the PPA's if you are not positive if they are trustworthy yet, this stops them from updating on your system  ;)
It is important to remember that the updates can be security ones, so it's a choice to make, but it gives the option to look in to the updates first, and make an informed choice if you want that or not, if you wanted it re-tick it, then un-tick afterwards.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:46:25 PM by bitsnpcs »

Trying to install gnucash
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 06:55:07 PM »

Learning

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Following Misko_2083's tutorial on how to install software using terminal, I am attempting to install gnucash-2.6.15. From the gnucash website I can find no easy install package like I am used to with windows, but I did download something called gnucash-2.6.15.tar.bz2, so I found the section in the tutorial explaining how to install from source code, and then the subsection regarding .bz2 files.

Extracting the file went well enough, but when i entered the ./configure command I got to the point where it said that something was not found (glib=2.0), and so I ran the command, "sudo apt-get install glib-2.0", which seemed to run but then finished with:

"N: Ignoring file '20auto-upgrades.ucf-dist' in directory '/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension"

I then ran the "make" command and got the following: "make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop."

And that is where I am presently at...stumped.
Is it normal to have to go through all this to get such a common program installed?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:40:20 PM by Learning »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section