You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Synaptic vs apt install

Author (Read 6929 times)

Re: Synaptic vs apt install
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 01:36:38 AM »

warhawk8080

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
apt-get is the same as apt

so if you type apt-get install *package* or apt install *package* it will install it

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »

Vera

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Enjoying Linux Lite.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Quad Core 1.6GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon
Thank you, @dihonomo for the answer and the link. I hadn't thought to check Wikipedia for an answer, I had searched on other Linux forums but that confused me a bit. Marking this question as solved!
Using Linux Lite for everything now. I put it on my desktop and my laptop. Woohoo!

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »

dihonomo

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Lover
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core (i3-5010U)

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 5500

• Kernel: 5.x
Sorry for this very basic question, but for the interactive Synaptic package manager that I use on LL 4.0, does that reach exactly the same repository as the command-line apt install command?

Yes, synaptic is basically a GUI for apt (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptic_%28software%29).

Synaptic vs apt install
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 10:57:26 AM »

Vera

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Enjoying Linux Lite.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Quad Core 1.6GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon
Sorry for this very basic question, but for the interactive Synaptic package manager that I use on LL 4.0, does that reach exactly the same repository as the command-line apt install command?

The reason I ask is that I've installed a piece of software via Synaptic, only to find out that what I installed was not the absolute latest version. The latest version of that software was released a few months ago and that is the one I want since it has a critical feature I need.

The manual for the software package says it's available via Synaptic Package Manager or using the sudo apt install command (it gives full instructions for that), but I was wondering whether those methods come to the same, or if they're two different repositories.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:28:18 AM by Vera »
Using Linux Lite for everything now. I put it on my desktop and my laptop. Woohoo!

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section