You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Updated Inkscape but it didn't update the icon

Author (Read 3602 times)

Re: Updated Inkscape but it didn't update the icon
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 05:22:19 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
It is excellent news kris84  :)
Glad you have got it working how you want now.
If you edit your first post in the thread you can select "Solved" in the drop down menu, it will help others find this solution.

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 11:18:21 AM »

kris84

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
FSearch is very good .
Do 0.91 and 0.92 icon have the same name and the search tool will find both, so you can remove the 0.91.

I did a search like you said and found that there were inkscape.png files inside of the Faenza directory of my icons folder. So I copied the ones from the /usr/share/icons/hicolor folders into the /usr/share/icons/Faenza/apps/  and it worked! I now have the new 0.92 icons for Inkscape displayed throughout the system! I don't understand Linux well enough yet to have thought to look in the system's icon theme folder, but that seems to be where the problem was. Thanks.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 10:25:13 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

FSearch is very good .
Do 0.91 and 0.92 icon have the same name and the search tool will find both, so you can remove the 0.91.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 03:26:56 AM »

kris84

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
What features are in this version that weren't in the previous that you require?

No special features really. I use 0.92 on my Windows partition, and others in my household use that version. I'd like us all to be using the same thing.

Only the stated one being that the icons are not being the correct ones for the version, they are too similar to the LL file manager icon.

This is my main complaint. With many applications open in the panel, it takes a few extra seconds each time I change windows to make sure I'm going back to Inkscape and not a File Manager window. The new 0.92 icon is different enough that I recognize it instantly. What I don't understand is why the correct icon is in the /usr/shared/icons folders, but it doesn't display those icons anywhere in the system. Somehow, somewhere, the old icon is still in there, but I've yet to find it.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 11:29:42 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Just looking -- It maybe that the new icons require additional configuration??
Kinda skimmed it but here's some info - http://logosbynick.com/new-icons-for-inkscape/

And icon sets..
https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=inkscape-gui-icon-set/
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 10:37:08 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

What features are in this version that weren't in the previous that you require?
Hello Jerry,
I am unsure which features yet that kris84 requires until he/she reply.
Only the stated one being that the icons are not being the correct ones for the version, they are too similar to the LL file manager icon.
In the release notes it says that the important change/difference is that this newer version now supports the CSS3 standard of 96dpi, whereas the previous version did not support CSS3 standard as it was 90dpi.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 03:40:52 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 03:28:44 AM »

kris84

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
can you try this method to uninstall and purge then install again and see if it has the newer icon ?

I followed those instructions and then re-installed using the ppa, but I still have the old icon. This is kinda frustrating...

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello kris84,

can you try this method to uninstall and purge then install again and see if it has the newer icon ?

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 11:09:55 AM »

kris84

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Ji wrote about how to solve this

It will be a good after uninstall to use Menu>System>Lite Tweaks to Autoremove package and clear package cache before reinstalling.

I followed your instructions, and Ji's to the letter, but I still show an old icon. I uninstalled inkscape via package manager, ran Lite Tweaks to remove the packages completely, rebooted, installed inkscape from the command line using the ppa given in Ji's article, but the icon is still from version 0.91...

Where did you get Linux Lite from that it was pre-loaded with Inkscape 0.91? We don't bundle that program.

I downloaded it from the LinuxLiteOS.com site, but I honestly can't remember if I torrented or downloaded from a mirror. It's also possible I installed Inkscape myself, but why an old version would have been installed is a mystery (I wouldn't have done that intentionally).

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 09:57:07 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Hello, all,

I'm relatively new to Linux, and have been running LinuxLite 3.2 64-bit for about 6 weeks now. It came pre-loaded with Inkscape 0.91.

Where did you get Linux Lite from that it was pre-loaded with Inkscape 0.91? We don't bundle that program.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 09:49:32 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello kris84,

Ji wrote about how to solve this

quote from the above link -
the snap build has an old look on the window’s toolbar, scrollbar, and menus. To make the editor look smooth, you may wish to install the .deb package from Inkscape PPA

It will be a good after uninstall to use Menu>System>Lite Tweaks to Autoremove package and clear package cache before reinstalling.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:58:04 AM by bitsnpcs »

Updated Inkscape but it didn't update the icon
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 05:46:03 AM »

kris84

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello, all,

I'm relatively new to Linux, and have been running LinuxLite 3.2 64-bit for about 6 weeks now. It came pre-loaded with Inkscape 0.91. I wanted to upgrade to 0.92 as it's what I use on Windows. Also, I find that the icon for 0.91 is too similar in appearance to other icons (file manager icons for example), so I wanted to get the icon for 0.92 so it's easier to see and I can find it quicker. However, after I upgraded the software via the package manager, everything says it's Inkscape 0.92, but the program menu, favorites, and panel areas still show the old icon. I completely removed all packages, rebooted, and re-installed them, but the result was the same. I checked in my /usr/share/icons folders, and all the inkscape.png files show the new 0.92 icon. Yet somehow it is not displaying that in these areas, so are the icons for the menu and panel stored somewhere else that they need to be replaced manually?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 02:53:58 AM by kris84 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section