Software - Support > Installing Software

Python3 is installed - but cannot be started

(1/1)

Moltke:

--- Quote from: stevef on April 07, 2022, 02:56:23 PM ---To start an interactive python 3.8 session, open a terminal by pressing the ctrl alt and t keys together.  In the terminal type

--- Code: ---python3.8
--- End code ---

followed by return.  When done pressing ctrl+d should put you back to the terminal.

--- End quote ---

Just typing
--- Code: ---python3
--- End code ---
will do just as fine. As @Steff260 pointed out, you can install a python IDE(Integrated Development Environment) such as IDLE3, which is probably already installed. Also, read here for a few recommendations. https://realpython.com/python-ides-code-editors-guide/  By the way, you can use any text editor to write your python code, for instance, you can use nano:

--- Code: ---nano my_python_code.py
--- End code ---
this will open the nano editor in the terminal(yes, you have to launch the terminal and type that in it), then just start typing your code. Once you finished, make your my_python_code.py executable with
--- Code: ---chmod +x my_python_code.py
--- End code ---
and run from terminal
--- Code: ---python3 my_python_code.py
--- End code ---

The output from the above code is:

--- Code: ---$ python3  my_python_code.py
x is 1.

--- End code ---

P.S: There's a very nice thread right here on the forum to get you started:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/coding/beginning-with-python/

Also, that user bitsnpcs has some posts on python you might find helpful:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/profile/?area=showposts;u=411

Hope this helps! :)

robert2019:
Hi Steff260,

You might wish to use the Python GUI with starting IDLE (interactive development environment). Most probably you had it installed already; if not do:

--- Code: ---sudo apt-get install idle3
--- End code ---

Then;

--- Code: ---sudo apt-get install python3-pip
--- End code ---

Enter your password when being asked for it and hit Enter. Once done simply go to Menu > type IDLE in the application finder field and when you see it listed click on it to run.

stevef:
To start an interactive python 3.8 session, open a terminal by pressing the ctrl alt and t keys together.  In the terminal type

--- Code: ---python3.8
--- End code ---

followed by return.  When done pressing ctrl+d should put you back to the terminal.

Steff260:
Hello,

I cannot start Python3. The program is not displayed in the main menu. But it is installed for sure.

Under /usr/share/applications/ I can find Python among other programs. If I then double click on the Python icon nothing happens - in contrast to other programs displayed there.

Unfortunately I had these problems also a long time ago with the program R. Also here I had found no menu entry. However, a folder was created here and I can - if I click through the folders to the "bin" file, then start the program and it runs.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get Python running?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version