You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

problems with libre off. on acer. how do i reinstall.

Author (Read 1859 times)

Re: problems with libre off. on acer. how do i reinstall.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 04:28:20 PM »

pingball57

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks. not sure if i can do anything with it though. I have been saving to HDD first which seems to have solved the 'saving files' problem. As for resources, i think it's 1gig RAM, not sure about drive size at the moment.

Update: I have re-formated the USB with/on LL machine. This seems to have solved to read only/ saving problem.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:30:10 AM by pingball57 »

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 12:52:36 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
First things first, if your computer works hard and fan run loud, it could be using the swap file a lot, etc.
How much RAM and free hard drive space on the machine?

In any situation I suggest to always save to hard drive first. Then copy to USB.
Over the years I learn not to work directly on USB, ever, (not reliable/ slow.)

Reading your post, this could be the source of the problem; the temp Libre Office files are in the same folder as the files being worked on, so a slow USB key and or slow USB controller could be the culprit. USB controller can also eat up ressources and make your fan louder.

A lot of theories here... good luck!

-TheDead (TheUxNo0b)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 02:57:48 PM »

pingball57

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks for the input but I think you've misunderstood me. the problem is with Libre on the LL acer. i only used the Win m/c because of this prob, which is when i encountered the read only/ locked problem. playing about it looks like it's the files themselves. if i create a new doc i don't get the same problem. the files content are a copy & paste from a website. I was using one today, (typing notes alongside the copied text) and the delay was worse than ever. I'm sure that this wasn't a problem when i started with them. They were made in libre - i think. it maybe just something i'll have to live with as i'm only making notes the once.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:18:29 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
1) ** uninstall open office from windows 10 and install LibreOffice for Windows 10 instead as it is far more up to date. **

2) Make sure you use the same fonts when transferring files. Windows fonts are available for Linux LibreOffice.

3) Use USB 2.0 Windows will accept it by instance. or: RDP instead and install a commander style file manager to Windows 10.

Compatibility is not perfect but it is surprisingly good and you can work directly in your LibreOffice on Windows 10 from your Linux system via RDP. There are tutorials on setting this up here on the forum.

If it turns out you have corrupted USB try zeroing it first with gparted and then format to fat32.

TC
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:25:37 PM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

problems with libre off. on acer. how do i reinstall.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 03:45:37 PM »

pingball57

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
After much ado i put LL on my Acer aspire one recently but I'm getting increasing problems with Libre office, which i use a lot on this m/c. it's not saving files properly to USB sticks, & they're coming up as corupt files when i try reaccess or read only if i do access or are coming up as locked. also when typing there is a big delay for the text to appear on screen & only does so when i puase. the fan works hard while i'm using it. i'm getting most problems if i swap the USB stick between the acer & my win 10 laptop which has openoffice 4. I was thinking that if i reinstall it that might fix it but i don't know how. i tried from the menu but got error messages. is there a simple commandline i can use?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section