You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

My Linux Lite went CRAZY!

Author (Read 2722 times)

Re: My Linux Lite went CRAZY!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 09:55:38 PM »

Alex

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Users with restricted permissions, change or disable hot-key combos and add a root password for sure. It may not completely stop someone from messing up the system, but should definitely prevent curious people from making changes that affect the system.

I have no idea how to do any of these. Also, I don't want to restrict the use of that computer too much as it is dedicated for their use.

I agree with the comments that they may have done something strange as they have done funny stuff before. But it was not anything that could not be fixed. This problem seemed unsolvable and i have not seen it described any where.

Thanks for your (plural) inputs

:)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 09:59:17 PM by Alex »

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 12:54:23 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

• CPU: i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia m860
Make sure to set up Users with restricted permissions, change or disable hot-key combos and add a root password for sure. It may not completely stop someone from messing up the system, but should definitely prevent curious people from making changes that affect the system. Maybe check the video card and Bios battery as well just to be sure, but most likely issue----->
this machine was mainly used by my grandsons for playing games.
Member www.eff.org
*Hardware hacks are my speciality.
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.
--Xerox field service engineer, printer repairs,network analyst.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 11:26:04 AM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
so if anyone can explain what happened I will be grateful.

probably

my grandsons

doing something we will never have a clue to knowing how,what, and why they did it.

LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

My Linux Lite went CRAZY!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 02:25:52 AM »

Alex

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I have Linux Lite 2.4 installed on three machines and it has worked just fine until two days ago. On the oldest machine it booted up until the sign-in page then it started flashing on and off and did not proceed any further. I tried rebooting many times including in 'safe' mode but it did not fix the problem.

On one of the boots up i did notice a brief message at the top of the screen, it was very brief so i am not sure what it actually said but what it looked like is "Pg" endlessly repeated. Also duirng boot up in safe mode the word Casper seemed to occur a lot - I have no idea what it meant (no Ghost Jokes, Please! :) )

Anyway the only thing I could do is re-install off a USB, making sure that the old installation was completely replaced. I did not lose anything important as this machine was mainly used by my grandsons for playing games.

But I would hate it to happen to one of the other two machines, so if anyone can explain what happened I will be grateful.

Thanks

Alex

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section