You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

My HP laptop wont charge the battery

Author (Read 5183 times)

Re: My HP laptop wont charge the battery
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 10:44:55 PM »

darrell derrick

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
My 2 cents, need to check wall adapter under load. And if you got an old < cheap>lap top , you might cut a round hole above the jack, and put a rubber plug in when finished changing. the jack, I found them on ebay. I have taken HPs apart it's do able. Can you try and charge the battery in that other laptop ? And prove it good? Camera phone is handy when disassembling, complex things. Good luck

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 10:31:16 AM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
I replaced the female jack on my ancient Panasonic CF-48 about a couple years ago.

Is the female socket hot as heck to the touch after awhile when you plug in the a/c charger?
If so. Connections are loose. Heat in DC electronics can come from loose connections.
To the point it will burn your fingers.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 07:45:43 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

I fear it must be some sort of loose connection inside the power hole in the back of the laptop.

To possibly confirm that, you can try moving the plug around in the jack to see if it might make occasional contact, but it does seem like a bad jack to me, also. I've repaired/replaced a few of these before.

Depending on the age of the laptop, they can be replaced fairly easily, for around $20 for the part (newer), or can require soldering and/or trace repair on the motherboard itself (older). Both usually involve mostly to totally tearing it down to reach and work on the jack, though. You can find teardown instructions for a lot of laptop models on YouTube...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 07:13:55 AM »

Alex

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks for the suggestions. I did remove the battery but the computer still did not sense any power going in and so it remained dead as a door nail. I don't have a voltmeter but I did connect the power cord and transformer from another HP laptop and it still did not work.

I fear it must be some sort of loose connection inside the power hole in the back of the laptop.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 04:53:08 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Remove the battery, then try to turn it on. If it runs normally, it's the battery - probably a shorted cell. If not, it's most likely the power adapter, but I'd check its output with a voltmeter (and wiggle the cords to check for breaks, usually right at the stress relief) before condemning it...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

My HP laptop wont charge the battery
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 12:11:40 AM »

Alex

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I have checked all connections and have booted both in Win7 and In LL but the problem remains. The laptop does not see the power connection and thinks it's not connected. I have switched power cords but no use.

I went online and in trying the many suggestions ( none worked) the battery went flat and now the laptop does not switch on at all. I plugged the power cord in and the orange light flashe a couple of times but does not stay on. I left it overnight but it did not charge ( it was a desperate hope )

Any ideas?

Thanks

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section