You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Missing desktop icons

Author (Read 18476 times)

Re: Missing desktop icons
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 11:59:50 PM »

Andres Rusconi

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Sorry my English.
I suffered this when I located the installation for my language. Then, the desktop icons were left in the "Desktop" folder while the "Escritorio" folder was empty. Nothing else I had to move the files from the first to the second and restart the session.
I hope it is useful.

Best regards.

Andrés

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 02:26:04 AM »

Aryan Choudhary

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
LL 3.8

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2018, 11:37:37 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
@Aryan Choudhary

What version of LL are you having this problem with?
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2018, 08:27:04 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
I know it is not used on the current releases, because it is no longer developed, but I used SystemBack a few months ago to restore to an earlier restore point, it was very easy to do and worked perfectly solving the problem I had made from experimenting.
I was impressed with it, as I had not restored on Linux before.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 08:32:53 AM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 05:12:23 AM »

diskrod

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A6-9225 RADEON R4, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: 1366x768
If all else fails, do a restore point. Just a suggestion.

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 12:15:30 AM »

Aryan Choudhary

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
I also have same problem as discussed above . and the worst part is i am not able to right click on my desktop 😥😥

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 03:38:29 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Unlike Windows, Linux (and Linux Lite) supports multiple desktops that can be switched back and forth to on the taskbar. The default is two 'workspaces'.

Perhaps it's all still there, and you just accidentally switched to another desktop, where everything is suddenly 'gone'. I find this feature to be quite annoying, so I disable multiple workspaces - and switching between them - on all my installs...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 08:11:32 PM »

Mike

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Enthusiast
    • View Profile
One thing he can try if he still has issues is to open a new terminal window by pressing ctrl+alt+T.

In the terminal window paste the following:

Code: [Select]
mv ~/.config/xfce4  ~/.config/xfce4.bak (make backup of old settings)

Code: [Select]
cp -r /etc/skel/.config/xfce4 ~/.config (copy default settings to home)

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 03:27:45 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Me in my simple way of thinking. I am just wondering if the hard drive or other gear is failing.

The only things that disappear on me from time to time is my animals/pets.

Anyways
Settings>Settings manager>Desktop>Desktop Icons tab is probably what you are looking for.
I run a clean Desktop myself with only a Conky monitor and run everything else off of the taskbar with drop down arrows.
Even on a 11 inch touchscreen.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 03:09:15 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
+1 to gold_finger
Excellent reply

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 03:07:21 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Are you on your usual workspace/desktop where these icons and wallpaper usually are ?

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 02:15:24 PM »

Mike

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Indeed. That was an excellent response.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 01:35:41 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Excellent reply gold_finger :)

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
@john9159,

This is not a response to your immediate problem because I don't really know what may have caused it.

Do you want to learn to use Linux?  Or is your intention to just use it temporarily until you can get a new Windows computer?

Since you've stuck with LL for two months, I'm guessing that you'd like to learn it and have it work for you.  But I get the feeling from reading through all of your prior threads that you may just not know the best way to do that and are ending up trying to fumble your way through things, which just ends in frustration.  Don't feel too bad -- that happens to everyone!

Although some individual programs (Firefox, LibreOffice, etc.) may work the same in both operating systems, Linux is not and never will be a "free" version of Windows.  They are different OS's, are structured and operate differently, and frequently have programs that perform similar functions but don't operate in exactly the same way.  Switching to Linux requires learning how things are done in Linux.

If someone who only knew Linux tried to switch to Windows, they'd have the same problem in reverse.  I used Windows for about 23 years.  I switched to using Linux exclusively about 5 years ago.  I'm so used to the Linux way of doing things now that I get extremely frustrated whenever I have to attempt doing something in Windows -- which is almost always me fixing something that went wrong on other peoples computers.  If I ever had to go back to using Windows regularly, I'd have to spend some time re-learning some of the Windows ways of doing things.

I'm going to recommend three things that I believe will greatly improve things for you.  All you'll need to do is set aside dedicated blocks of time (1-2 hours here and there) over the next week or two for the first two items listed.  You won't be a Linux master in two weeks, but you will have a much better understanding of the basics and gain some much needed confidence.  The third item on the list is just a list of links with further infomation that you can use at your leisure over time to increase your skills.
  • Read the first three chapters of Introduction to Linux.  That will give you a good grasp of some of the basics and will immediately help clear up much confusion.  If you need to re-read some sections to really "get it", go ahead and do that.  Bookmark the link to the book and you can refer to other chapters for more specific info if/when needed at a later time.
  • Read the entire Help Manual for Linux Lite.  Much of it may not immediately apply to anything you need to do, but reading the various sections will help you see how things are done in Linux and some things may trigger ideas on how to accomplish other tasks that are important to you.
  • After doing the above for the first week or two, use the links on this page to learn other things in your spare time.  I'd particularly recommend using the first tutorial listed under "Command Line Basics" section.  Even though you may not end up using the command line much at all, it will be very beneficial to get a basic understanding of the most common commands.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 07:22:15 AM »

bobw

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi john9159.  Can you see the missing items in the File Manager under /home/<username>/desktop?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section