You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite OS 3.8 update help

Author (Read 3886 times)

Re: Linux Lite OS 3.8 update help
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 09:49:35 PM »

PsaCrypt

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
hello jerry,

after updating kernel to 4.4.0-116 (ubuntu 16.04.6), booting lite 3.8 shows me a pink text screen with recovery options, before autoloading lite desktop.  why it appears? and ... could i disable that screen?   this is not much important because desktop is loaded and all runs fine, but i want to disable that screen.

thank you.  :-)

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 05:11:42 PM »

PsaCrypt

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
yes, sorry.  :-)

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 05:01:43 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
i only have a problem with lite-3 and mint-17:  booting them in one of my machines, sound does not run.  does not recognize speakers.  alsa runs fine, i think the problem is caused at pulseaudio.  booting that machine using tinycore linux, with alsa and pulseaudio too, sound system runs fine with speakers.  that machine is toshiba nb110.   :-(

anyone can help with this error?

You need to start a thread in the appropriate section eg. Hardware, Sound.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 08:25:57 AM »

PsaCrypt

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
i only have a problem with lite-3 and mint-17:  booting them in one of my machines, sound does not run.  does not recognize speakers.  alsa runs fine, i think the problem is caused at pulseaudio.  booting that machine using tinycore linux, with alsa and pulseaudio too, sound system runs fine with speakers.  that machine is toshiba nb110.   :-(

anyone can help with this error?

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 08:18:34 AM »

PsaCrypt

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
forget to say you that i'm usin grub4dos bootloader.  grub4dos allows me booting linux from fat32, ntfs and ext filesystems.  ;-)

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 08:11:25 AM »

PsaCrypt

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
hello supergamer,

all ubuntu based distros have a useful advantage from original debian releases: persistent changes.  debian releases also have this feature, but appears to be more complex to configure.  i explain you details now ...

booting from ubuntu live-dvd, same as loading ubuntu dvd .iso image from hdd or usb, if you have an ext2/ext4 filesystem partition labeled casper-rw into your hdd/usb, that partition will be mounted automatically into ubuntu dvd filesystem at boot.  this mean that you can install new ubuntu packages and these packages are persistent at next reboot.  installing packages, creating new folders and files and anything you wants to do, like any linux system installed in your machine.  if, in the future, you installs any software that halt your machine at boot, you only need to boot your computer with one linux dvd that are not ubuntu based, go to casper-rw partition, save your desired data, and erase folders or format casper-rw partition to have a clean boot from your ubuntu based dvd.

i also used this feature to get new dvd filesystem to remaster ubuntu based dvd's.  i maked remasters of ubuntu-12, mint-17, and lite-3.  don't want to update and remaster lite-4 because it, like mint-18, request too much ram memory (1.1gb ram only opening file manager after boot at mint-18).  my new remaster of lite-3, will finished in few days, only request 385mb of ram at boot after installed all wanted linux software.  dvd casper filesystem is 4gb in size.  i'm very happy with lite-3.   ;-)

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 08:54:44 PM »

supergamer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Phenom 565

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: 550 ti
Not sure on your setup. I have an old SuperGamer release installed as a flash drive on a 500GB partition with the first 16GB formatted as a Fat32 then the rest ext4 and boot up live and out of ram all the time. I do not use this a lot as it is way to out of date but it is secure as a reboot fixes any hacking. I have been looking at using a grub installer to boot an iso and use a patch against a build to provide me updates along with having a persistent partition using the rest of a drive. Just a suggestion as it would be a lot of work but doable if you have another machine and you are comfortable with VMs.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 03:49:46 PM »

PsaCrypt

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Solved with update-initramfs.distrib

:-)

Linux Lite OS 3.8 update help
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 06:16:42 AM »

PsaCrypt

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello to all members,

I'm using Linux Lite OS 3.8 loading .Iso DVD image from hard disk (Live-HD mode).  Because Ubuntu features I updated all my system, with the exception of booting kernel, wich remains at 16.04.4 release.  Loading .Iso image from hard disk boots original Lite 3.8 kernel into readonly file system (/cdrom).

I want to know how I can update vmlinuz and initrd.gz files, doing commands into a separate folder to get these files updated to 16.04.6 kernel release.  I suppossed task is related to update-initramfs command.

Anyone can help me?

Thank you in advance.   ;-)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 12:32:40 AM by Jerry »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section