You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installing software

Author (Read 5855 times)

Re: Installing software
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 02:27:28 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

When the superuser password is entered, nothing is echoed back to you - not even asterisks. This is normal.

Entering the superuser password and then pressing ENTER should be all you need to do to proceed...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 04:40:36 PM »

Tom47

gold_finger, I just tried to install updates as Scott described.   I get the cursor requesting the password, but when I try to type the password, the cursor just goes blank for a moment.  Nothing types into the space.

I also tried to enter a sudo apt for google and it won't let me type in the password.  Typing everywhere else is fine.

Any suggestions?  Thanks, Tom

Gee whiz- if I would just read more, I could fix my problems myself.  Sorry guys, I just realized the passwords do not show but still work.  I was able to get the updates list.  I'll let you know how it goes from here.

OK.  I've learned a lot in a short time!  All is well, apps have downloaded as you both said they would.  I am very pleased with Linux Lite and with the forum tech support I received.

Kudos to Scott and gold_finger for their help!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:53:30 PM by Tom47 »

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 01:55:01 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Welcome Tom47,

I've encountered same problem before.  First install updates.  If that doesn't fix problem, try the following:

*  Go to Menu -> System -> Install/Remove Software.

*  That opens the Synaptic Package Manager.

*  In Synaptic, click Settings -> Repositories; then click the Other Software tab.

*  Make sure there is a check mark in the box next to the listing shown below.

*  Also, on that listing, make sure that it says "stable main" at the end.  What I have run into is that it said "trusty main" at the end and that caused the error.

*  If yours needs to be changed to "stable main", hit the "Edit" button while the google chrome listing is highlighted.

*  Then type "stable" next to "Distribution:", click OK

*  Then close the Software & Updates sources window.

*  It should tell you it's going to refresh/reload the sources -- let it do that, or hit the "Reload" button yourself if it doesn't ask.

*  Close Synaptic and you should now be able to install Chrome from "Install Additional Software" in the Menu.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:55:06 PM by gold_finger »
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 01:27:06 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Hi Tom47,

Welcome to Linux Lite.

Regarding this part of your question:
BTW, I did not install any updates.  Could this be my problem?  I see other replies and will check this later today.

Yes, not installing updates after a fresh install of LL is a problem. Run the updates first (Menu > All > Install Updates) and then move on to installing additional software.

Post back and let us know how it works.

Scott

Installing software
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:52:48 PM »

Tom47

I have an HP Mini100-3000 that I originally replaced the Windows 7 Starter with Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick.  I was less than satisfied with the Maverick and learned about Linux Lite this past weekend.  I installed it as the sole O.S. and am very pleased with the format.

My only issue is installing the software from the program list.  I really want Chrome and selected #2, typed password, and waited for package download.  I keep getting an error saying the download failed.  I tried other choices and the same thing happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions or can direct me to a previous post? :-\

BTW, I did not install any updates.  Could this be my problem?  I see other replies and will check this later today.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:12:00 PM by Tom47 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section