You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installing Netflix

Author (Read 12954 times)

Re: Installing Netflix
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 01:21:47 AM »

lindalinex4me

I have Linux Lite 1.0.8...I tried that code initially and it  installed and opened up Netflix but the movies wouldn't play.  I think I will just be content with what I have...a working computer when I thought it was dead for good.  Thanks for the info, however!

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 07:53:53 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
In Linux Lite 2.0 all you'll need to do is:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 01:47:33 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Sounds like you had a 512 MB stick and a 256 MB stick installed, and the 256 MB stick was removed, leaving 512 MB RAM. Even with Linux Lite, there's only so much one can do with that small an amount of memory.

Using the T3882 number you gave me, I found out that you can use 2 1 GB sticks to go to 2 GB of RAM. Online, the memory sticks run about $60 or so for the pair.

May God richly bless you and yours, also...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 01:10:27 AM »

lindalinex4me

I'm not sure what is what but under emachines is T3882 if that means anything.  I think it now has less than 1GB because when my friend opened the case, he found two sticks of ram that he said didn't work well together because they were "different"...he said I don't even know how this PC even worked at all.  I have no idea what he meant or how that even happened.  I don't recall ever having work done on it before XP expired.  So...he just removed the smaller of the two sticks and left one in.  There must only be two slots because the guy at Office Max told me there was no way it could be upgraded to the 2 GB I would need to install Windows 7.  So...I will just let this go as my PC is running well with Linux Lite as is.  Thanks, though, for your continued interest.  GOD bless!  Linda

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 05:14:08 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

I'm sorry, too.

Depending on the type of memory you have, how many memory slots you have, and the specs on your computer, you MIGHT be able to upgrade it to what you need (1 GB or more; preferably 2 GB). The problem is that if it's DDR memory, it's roughly $30-$35 per 1 GB stick, depending on whether it's a desktop or laptop. If it's DDR2, the price is somewhat less.

Laptops usually have two memory slots; desktops can either have two or four, depending on the motherboard.
I'd have to know the make and exact model number of your PC to be able to know for certain. That information is usually on a decal affixed to the outside of the PC or laptop, or listed on the first page of the BIOS settings.

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 12:51:11 PM »

lindalinex4me

Ok...I uninstalled Netflix.  I kept Wine, as it was already installed when I got my poor sick baby back from my friend.  Before I had him put Linux on, I had it to Office Max to see if I could get Windows 7 and they told me "no, I didn't have enough memory".  Anyway, I am quite happy with Linux Lite and the price was just right!  Thanks again for all your help...sorry, it just didn't work out.  Linda :)

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 12:31:11 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

You're quite welcome. I'm just sorry I can't help you any further.

Yes, it would probably be best to uninstall Netflix-desktop using the

sudo apt-get purge netflix-desktop
command. After that, run this:

sudo apt-get autoremove
That will get rid of everything else you no longer need to have once netflix-desktop is removed.

If you don't have a lot of memory (under 1 GB) on your PC, Linux + WINE + Silverlight (or Pipelight) just slows things down too much for a satisfactory viewing experience. If you had enough memory to make all that work (estimate: 2 GB), you could have, most likely, just ran Vista or Windows 7.

For Netflix, you may want to buy a Roku - I THINK they run in the $50 range for a basic unit, more for a fancier one. Unless I am mistaken, it will let you watch Netflix, Crackle, and other Web-based entertainment on your TV.

Now if we were talking about, lets say, Hulu Plus, THEY *DO* have a Linux version, but in my opinion, they don't really have very much at all to pay $8/month for that can't be obtained elsewhere for free...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 06:19:37 PM »

lindalinex4me

Very well....thank you!  Just a few more questions posted back on the original inquiry for the benefit of others.  VERY MUCH appreciated!  Linda

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »

lindalinex4me

Wowie...I fear this is all way beyond me and my lil' ol' el-cheapo eMachines with retired XP.  I believe I already had Wine, Chrome, and Firefox installed, but I noticed that trying to install Netflix has slowed this computing somewhat.  Would you suggest I: A. Uninstall Netflix and forget it?  (It isn't critical that I have it play in Linux as I have it streaming on the TV through Wii and could likely get it on my Windows 8.1 Laptop)  B.  Should I try the Javascript thing?  or C.  Try the Javascript WITH the Pipelight?  or D.  Try the Pipelight WITHOUT the Javascript?

I REALLY appreciate all your research for this. 

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 12:51:45 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

As for myself, I have no account with Netflix, and have never used their service. It is my hope that someone else will step in here who has actually made this work in Linux Lite. Nonetheless, I will try to do what I can.

I found this out there on the Web that suggests adding these programs in addition to netflix-desktop. These might help:

sudo apt-get install javascript-common python-pyxattr-dbg libcapi20-3 libosmesa6 libtiff4 unixodbc
(I found this here: http://namhuy.net/1867/how-to-install-netflix-on-ubuntu-linux-mint-and-fedora.html)

From what I understand, Netflix uses Microsoft Silverlight with DRM (digital rights management), which is essentially the M$ version of Adobe's Flash Player. While implementing Silverlight is fairly easy, the DREM aspect makes it all much more difficult. (Now that I know this, I now understand why it's so difficult - if not impossible - to record Netflix videos.)

Additionally, from what I've read, netflix-desktop installs WINE - which allows certain Windows programs to run inside Linux - plus a Windows version of Firefox and the Silverlight plugin. I don't know what the specs on your computer are, but running that much additional software could be a problem for less capable machines.

Microsoft does not offer Silverlight for Linux, but there is a Silverlight alternative called Pipelight which has also been used to implement Netflix in Linux. More information on it, and its implementation, can be found here:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/08/pipelight-use-silverlight-in-your-linux.html

Without Netflix access, this is about all I can do for you at this time. As HTML5 becomes more popular, and Netflix and other streaming video sites implement it, perhaps all this will become easier in the future...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 06:47:20 PM »

lindalinex4me

Thanks so much for your instructions and explanation.  I think I did everything as you explained but for some reason, it doesn't work.  Netflix appears in the Multimedia list and when I click on it, I am already logged in there and I click on my selection and the screen goes black and just sits here.   :'(
Am I missing something? 

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 12:31:29 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

You enter the first line, sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio first.

You see, the first time you use sudo after opening a terminal, it asks you for the root password, because sudo requires root access. This is pretty much the same thing as Windows requesting that you be an administrator to add programs.

At the prompt, enter your root password, then press ENTER.

NOTE: When entering the root password, you will NOT see any '*' characters or any of the root password characters echoed back to you. Rest assured - they're sent when you type them.

After that, you'll see some info about the repository, and then it will prompt you to press ENTER to add the repository, or to press CTRL-C to cancel your request. To add the repository, press ENTER. It may take a few seconds to finish executing the command.

After that, you can either type or copy/paste the second and third commands, 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get install netflix- desktop'. The '&&' characters are used to enter the last two commands as one. In other words,

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop
and

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop
both mean the same thing.

Just let us know if you need any additional help...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:38:01 AM by N4RPS »

Installing Netflix
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »

lindalinex4me

Hello...new to Linux and know almost nothing.  I tried to install Netflix from the Help Manual and tried copying and pasting this:  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
                                          sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop
My computer would only paste the first line then asked for my password.  Don't  I need both lines together?  Or should I go with the first line--->enter, wait till all that is done, then paste or type the 2nd line??? I tried to manually type the two lines in and couldn't get it on two lines as shown in the manual.  Sigh...I might need Help Manual for Dummies.   :-\  Thanks for taking pity on me!

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section