You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

After updating LL 3.4 videos won't play & no sound (now upgrade to LL 3.8)

Author (Read 5760 times)

Re: After updating LL 3.4 videos won't play & no sound (now upgrade to LL 3.8)
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 05:31:17 AM »

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
Sorry, Just realized I did not answer your inquiry regarding "disable accelerated..." - You are correct, there is not such choice, it is simply that you must UNTICK the box that starts with "accelerated..." then continue to do what I indicated in my reply.

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5 vPro

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel

So I looked in VLC and can't find out what version I have (I simply don't know where to look, suffice to say though that I just upgraded this computer to LL 3.8 so likely from that you might know the VLC version).

You are correct - there is no actual disable button - what I meant to say is in Tools>Preferences>Video then in the screen where you can change things simply "UNTICK" the "Accelerated Video Output" and then on the right hand side for "Output" if I recall correctly (I'm pretty sure) - it was originally set at "Automatic" and it was this that I changed to the first option in the list when I opened the list being OpenGL GLX video output (XCB)

Version is found from menu Help/About, but it doesn't matter, the end result is that you now have VLC working and a possible solution for the future. :)
1) Lenovo T520 i5 LL3.8 8GB ram, fast & stable
2) Medion P4 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, quite fast & stable
3) eeePC 901 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, fast & stable
4) eeePC 701 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, slower & stable but small and light enough to travel with me to New Zealand when visiting family in Blenheim.

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima

I have VLC2.2.2 installed (is yours the same version?)....

so I can only make a guess that the VLC settings presented depend on what video system is detected.

So I looked in VLC and can't find out what version I have (I simply don't know where to look, suffice to say though that I just upgraded this computer to LL 3.8 so likely from that you might know the VLC version).

You are correct - there is no actual disable button - what I meant to say is in Tools>Preferences>Video then in the screen where you can change things simply "UNTICK" the "Accelerated Video Output" and then on the right hand side for "Output" if I recall correctly (I'm pretty sure) - it was originally set at "Automatic" and it was this that I changed to the first option in the list when I opened the list being OpenGL GLX video output (XCB)

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Pleased to hear your VLC player is working now.
I have VLC2.2.2 installed (is yours the same version?) and the video output module is set to 'Automatic'. Viewing my System Information output, I see that OpenGL is used. I see a tickbox for 'Accelerated video output' but not for 'Disable Accelerated video output' so I can only make a guess that the VLC settings presented depend on what video system is detected.

4) eeePC 701 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, slower & stable but small and light enough to travel with me to New Zealand when visiting family in Blenheim.

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
To reset VLC to default settings, open VLC, select Tools/Preferences from menu bar. At the bottom of the settings page, click the button labelled 'Reset Preferences'.
Up to now that has always restored VLC to a working condition for me.

So Justme2 your suggestion was really helpful as it allowed me to know where to go and I'm golden now, VLC is up and running on this Toshiba! ;D

I tried exactly what you did, which didn't work - however I then consulted my IT friend (Prof. Google) and found this link: https://askubuntu.com/questions/942386/vlc-opens-and-closes-immediately-when-i-play-video-files?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa

So essentially I went into VLC, chose Tools>Preferences>THEN VIDEO SETTINGS>then removed the tick for accelerated video output (I made this correction as previously I had written "remove the tick for disable accelerated video output") AND also changed Output to "OpenGL GLX video output (XCB)" and it works. (Initially I chose GNU/Linux frame buffer video output just because it had the word Linux in it, but this didn't work so per the link I started with the first OpenGL on the list and it worked).

So, now I feel comfortable to update and try it on the other Toshiba.  Thanks again this list is GREAT.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 12:38:27 AM by JanetBiggar »

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

If it works I will then update and upgrade the other Toshiba on which this is also an issue. I was thinking maybe this was a Toshiba "thing", however it doesn't look like you're using a Toshiba.

No none of my PCs are Toshiba, but they all have a common factor of Intel processors - may or may not be relevant.

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
Thanks a lot for the detailed steps, I will try this later today or early tomorrow (fingers crossed 😀).

If it works I will then update and upgrade the other Toshiba on which this is also an issue. I was thinking maybe this was a Toshiba "thing", however it doesn't look like you're using a Toshiba.

I will make sure I update the post when I try it out.

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Sorry Janet, I probably confused the matter by relying on memory! I did not check the reset button and implied it was labelled 'Restore to defaults' but of course it is the 'Reset Preferences' button which restores to default settings.

To reset VLC to default settings, open VLC, select Tools/Preferences from menu bar. At the bottom of the settings page, click the button labelled 'Reset Preferences'.
Up to now that has always restored VLC to a working condition for me.

Hope it works for you Too  :)

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
Well I am back  ;D - So I did a trade out with a youth that had one of the two Toshiba's that when LL3.4 was updated after initial install the videos playing via VLC would not open (when I click on them VLC briefly pops up then disappears and the video does not open or play).  You Tube videos play fine when I go to the internet.

Earlier Justme2 suggested the following which I hadn't had a chance to do before sending them out with youth:
I too seem to have problems with VLC after updates have taken place. Futile attempts were made playing around with various settings but then I discovered the 'Restore to defaults' button within settings. I don't know why, but each time, accepting the VLC default settings restored it to a working state.

Try it and see if it has any effect - it does for me. I hope it works for you too  :) If not, sorry I can't offer anything more.

So - I tried to find the 'Restore to defaults' button within settings, but cannot find such a button either in settings from menu or within VLC.  Justme2 might you be able to guide me as to where exactly I would find this?

Also believe I followed Trinidad's instructions with the exception that I did not do the initial step (in bold print, what I did was use the Lite Welcome and got updates for LL 3.4 then checked for drivers, rebooted and then upgraded to LL3.8
Here is what Trinidad said to do: Follow this upgrade path in this order >run sudo apt-get update in the terminal and exit >use Lite updates to update 3.4 > use Lite upgrade to upgrade to 3.6  >use Lite updates to update 3.6. If VLC still does't work afterwards we'll track it down in 3.6. Seems counterintuitive to repair it in 3.4 given all the recent changes to Firefox.

So since the issue of the downloaded videos not playing (VLC not opening up properly) where do I go and what do I do now?

If all else fails I can go back to my earlier restore point...

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
Thanks for this option. When I get either one of them back for any updating or otherwise I will give it a go.

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I too seem to have problems with VLC after updates have taken place. Futile attempts were made playing around with various settings but then I discovered the 'Restore to defaults' button within settings. I don't know why, but each time, accepting the VLC default settings restored it to a working state.

Try it and see if it has any effect - it does for me. I hope it works for you too  :) If not, sorry I can't offer anything more.

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
I have placed the two Toshibas with the VLC issue (upon updating, so went back to the earlier restore point where VLC was working) with two youth and thus have not explored the suggestions above.

Nonetheless, I did follow the steps Trinidad suggested on another laptop that had a few LL 3.4 restore points simply to see if the old LL 3.4 restore points remained.

I did the steps he suggested in the specified order and after LL 3.6 was loaded I checked back in system back and could see that the LL 3.4 restore points I had named were still present.

At some future point I may need to explore these steps with the problematic Toshibas, however since they are doing what they need to do I will wait until an issue arises  8).

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
The old auto-installed kernel from 3.4 will still be there if you use the upgrade path rather than new install. Several recent things could have caused VLC to not work for your recorded videos. Follow this upgrade path in this order >run sudo apt-get update in the terminal and exit  >use Lite updates to update 3.4 > use Lite upgrade to upgrade to 3.6  >use Lite updates to update 3.6. If VLC still does't work afterwards we'll track it down in 3.6. Seems counterintuitive to repair it in 3.4 given all the recent changes to Firefox.

TC
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:54:25 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
Maybe downloading LL 3.6 .iso file and try it from a usb stick before upgrading would be a safe approach, so you make sure that the issue isn't still present. Then, if everything works as you need it to, go to lite upgrade tool and let it do its job. Cause I'm not sure but I don't think LL 3.4 restore points will be available anymore once the system's upgraded to the new version, but I might be wrong.

Hope this helps!  :)
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
Thanks for your idea Trinidad.

If I upgrade to LL 3.6 and have any issues will my restore points in LL 3.4 still exist whereby I can revert to the earlier restore point running LL 3.4 where everything was working?

J

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section