You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Install Midori questions

Author (Read 12216 times)

Re: Install Midori questions
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 06:48:27 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

I would try puppy linux. However what you are asking your hardware to do may be beyond its capability.

I would try AntiX over Puppy. Based on Debian stable, its learning curve is FAR less steep than Puppy's is.

You'll pull out MUCH less of your hair with AntiX - which is a serious concern for us baldies...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 09:53:10 PM »

Kyle

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600

• MEMORY: 4Gb
Try using a browser that has an add-on which forces YouTube to play with Flash. This should resort to the video being played using your GPU.

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 09:01:50 PM »

FOM

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: HP Pavillion a6400f Desktop/Intel Pentium Dual [email protected]

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel integrated graphics controller 82865g
For Youtube purposes Minitube works best for low cpu demand, at ~32%, plus low memory demand about the same.
Seamonkey used too much cpu, running a single Youtube video at a constant 100% cpu, with memory at ~32%. Newbies, If anyone wants to try seamonkey, you can add a repository to synaptic that has it. I wasn't skilled enough to open the .tar.gz file from the seamonkey site, even with their instructions. I still use Seamonkey with satisfaction on my windows machine.
Scroll down to Localizations on this page
https://sourceforge.net/p/ubuntuzilla/wiki/Main_Page/

Unless I learn of another browser to try, I'll consider this a good result, using Firefox for browsing and Minitube for Youtube.

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 06:27:23 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

• Kernel: 5.x
I think my laptop has a very similar spec to yours.  I am running 2.8 32bit  mainly without problems.  Chromium as browser. Tried Midori but periodically it would crash..  Might be worth trying seamonkey?  http://www.seamonkey-project.org/  runs well on puppy linux Might do so for LL
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 01:18:16 AM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
The Minitube .deb package removes the need to compile manually, download it from the Minitube site, double click to install.

EDIT: ignore the message that comes up about using the version in the repo's & install the version you download.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 01:27:14 AM by JmaCWQ »

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 12:52:06 AM »

FOM

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

This is an old pc that came with XP. It could hold more memory, probably <4 GB, but unless we find some free memory sticks, we'll probably work with what is installed.  I'm refurbishing this computer for a neighbor so it will perform and do as it did for him with XP. His newer computer is used a lot by other family members, so if I get this old one working well he'll have his own personal computer whenever he wants. His favorite things are web surfing, YouTube videos and Google Earth. I've got the latter working well enough. Now fine tuning for YouTube, which should also do wonders for web surfing.
I don't think Puppy Linux is the solution I looking for, as he is a nontechie. I'm not any expert myself, but I do what I can to help. Perhaps later I could install it permanently. It probably uses very little memory. Truth be told, I getting very fond of Linuxlite and prefer to stick with it.
I installed Minitube via synaptic, and it didn't work. I could be wrong, but apparently the wepu8 team package is slightly out of date, at least after reading a few posts on the Minitube forum I gleaned that that is the reason.   http://flavio.tordini.org/forums/topic/error-downloading-minitube-2-0-on-mint-rosa
I am now about to learn how to use the terminal to compile and install Linux software from source to assure I have the latest version.  http://www.unixmen.com/minitube-a-youtube-desktop-application-for-linux/      http://www.unixmen.com/how-to-compile-and-install-a-linux-software-from-source-code/
This may take me a while.

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 02:01:40 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

• CPU: i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia m860
I would try puppy linux. However what you are asking your hardware to do may be beyond its capability.
Member www.eff.org
*Hardware hacks are my speciality.
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.
--Xerox field service engineer, printer repairs,network analyst.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 09:27:13 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

Does your PC max out at 1GB of memory or can it handle more?

If it maxes out at 1GB and you're looking for YouTube performance, I'd say you might need to install a tool like Minitube, or resort to a distro with an even lighter weight desktop environment, like the LXDE desktop environment.  I hesitate to recommend other distros on this forum, but if you're already considering the SeaMonkey Suite of tools, I would suggest you try the Live CD of the LXDE based distro called LXLE at www.lxle.net.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 09:11:32 PM »

FOM

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks everybody.
I got Midori to work your help. It is frugal with memory , using about 32%, but my cpu will still max out and stay there on one youtube video. So not a solution for me.
Slimjet is a likable browser. One youtube video uses about 48% of memory and a maxed out cpu. So still not what I'm looking for.
I started this post because I was unhappy with Firefox which is actually performing best for me. One youtube uses 32% memory and a cpu swinging up and down from max to 60%-70%. I wanted a little more flexibility and have not yet found it.
I'm considering trying Seamonkey since one post on my journey hinted that it is more memory friendly than Firefox.
I'm stlll open to more ideas.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 10:04:20 AM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
In my case it kept crashing while trying to login to the banking website, that was with Midori 0.5.11.
I guess it might have been something to do with lack of 256 bit encryption support as mentioned by Jerry above.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 07:41:26 AM »

richtea

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: E3815 @ 1.46 GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Atom Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series

That and it crashes constantly when I'm trying to do online banking.

Midori crashing in that instance may be a good thing. I tested it on Lubuntu some time ago, and it was not safe for banking.
Terry Davis Command Line video cracks me up.
Quod delere vos ego faciam permanens.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 04:13:58 AM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

Midori seems to be a mostly good browser, but I stopped using it because of the following error:

Midori can't find the page you're looking for
The page located at “www.linuxliteos.com” cannot be found. Check the web address for misspelled words and try again.
SSL handshake failed

Which seems to happen only when I visit the Linux lite forums.

Qupzilla is another one that works ok, but I had troubles with it constantly crashing on the IMDB website or any site that was image intensive & bookmarks loading, adding etc. was very slow.

Settled for Slimjet for now, runs a lot better than Firefox on my system.

I am trying out slimjet browser now. Easy to install. 
Member www.eff.org
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 02:05:33 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

From Midori website:

We use 256bit encryption :)

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 01:37:39 AM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile

Midori seems to be a mostly good browser, but I stopped using it because of the following error:

Midori can't find the page you're looking for
The page located at “www.linuxliteos.com” cannot be found. Check the web address for misspelled words and try again.
SSL handshake failed

Which seems to happen only when I visit the Linux lite forums.

Qupzilla is another one that works ok, but I had troubles with it constantly crashing on the IMDB website or any site that was image intensive & bookmarks loading, adding etc. was very slow.

Settled for Slimjet for now, runs a lot better than Firefox on my system.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 01:44:24 AM by JmaCWQ »

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 11:44:21 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

My cpu and/or memory max out and slow the computer  too easily. With only Firefox running, and only 3-6 tabs open, sometimes even less, I experience slowdowns and /or crashes. Hoping a resource friendly browser might help.
Synatic icon legend tells me Midori package is not supported, but a forum search tells me some users are using or have used Midori succesfully, so I tried it. I downloaded and installed  Midori successfully via synaptic. Found Midori icons in start menu/Internet/Midori. Opening it failed with the following message.

Error - file:///usr/share/ubuntu-artwork/home/index.html

The page 'file:///usr/share/ubuntu-artwork/home/index.html' couldn't be loaded.

Error opening file: No such file or directory

Try again

Not sure what to do. I added Midori-dbg as a wild guess but that didn't help. Midori home page offers downloads for Ubuntu. Is that a recommended way to add this software to Linuxlite?
Suggestions welcome.

I have duplicated your issue--->

It looks like there is an Ubuntu package that it is requesting ubuntu-artwork

You can install ubuntu-artwork package with synaptic and then reboot. No LL logos were changed, everything worked exactly the same in my setup.
And after starting Midori browser i get no error.

I hope it works for you as well. Be aware it does install other packages with it. Be sure they meet your standards of privacy and ethics.
No cpu max out on my system.

You can try installing from source here-> http://midori-browser.org/download/source/][url]http://midori-browser.org/download/source/
I have a hard time with it, not too often and i never remember the proper steps....but you are welcome to try that as well.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 12:10:01 AM by technomancer »
Member www.eff.org

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section