You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Image magic Malware on 3.4

Author (Read 7013 times)

Re: Image magic Malware on 3.4
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
https://www.debian.org/security/2017/dsa-3914

This is a modern (recently discovered hack) that was not possible on older versions of Deb. As systems evolve new features new ways to compromise them evolve as well. The best reason to run stable systems linked to the security update path. LL has a simple efficient update application. Don't disable it.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Re: Image magic Malware on 3.4
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 04:36:56 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello Shannon,

I dont know if it is preinstalled, it does come with openshot I installed. It has info here of the patches for it, https://usn.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-3363-1/
If you have used Menu>Install Updates it should be patched, you can check the updates and do a file search for the file names on the link.
Recommended check you Firewall rules Menu>All>Firewall Configuration  delete any rules shown under "rules tab" it should be blank, unless you chose to add a rule. If you didnt choose to add a rule or agree to a rule it is the classic definition of a backdoor, delete it.

Don't need to buy new hdd for this, unless you want a new one.

Image magic Malware on 3.4
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 02:11:11 AM »

Redchief

• Merchandise Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Pentium N3700 Quadcore 1.6ghz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: On board

• Kernel: 5.x
Hello folks,

Yesterday plugged in a usb drive with some type malware that took over my LL 3.4 64. Pretty sure it was this drive that started the problem. I saw an application running called image magic. It took over my settings and everything before I could shut down. After restart all of my settings had been changed. I found out this application is being used as a backdoor for other malware.

After reinstall from DVD notice the application is pre-installed in synaptic.

Should I bother to repair drive or should I save me a lot trouble and get new hdd?

Thanks
Shannon
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:24:51 PM by Redchief »
Linux enthusiasts don't care about the lame stream.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section