You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

How to make an installed application show up in start menu?

Author (Read 5345 times)

Re: How to make an installed application show up in start menu?
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 01:35:19 PM »

Nyto

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-9700T

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel UHD Graphics 630

• Kernel: 4.x
Everytime I come to this forum I remember that one of the reasons I love LinuxLite is that it has the kindest, more helpful,  friendliest, Linux forums in the web.   <3  <3
Pathological tweaker.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 08:31:30 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain this to me - besides being helpful for icecat, it's also helping me for the future for setting up my system better
You're very welcome @Vera I used to extract files everywhere in my system too till I learnt this method which is like it should be done.
(The executable file was called icecat not icecat-browser so in the 4th line I typed: sudo ln -sf /opt/icecat-browser/icecat /usr/bin/icecat-browser ). Your method was very helpful
That's why I said you just needed to change things accordingly.

Thanks for those instructions. Bookmarked! ;)
You're welcome and glad you found it useful @TheDead   :)

By the way, wikipedia is a fine source for finding icons when doing this, then use the wget method to download it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:44:33 AM by Moltke »
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 07:23:42 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
@Moltke
Thanks for those instructions. Bookmarked! ;)

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 06:40:27 AM »

Vera

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Enjoying Linux Lite.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Quad Core 1.6GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon
Awesome!! Thanks so much, @Moltke ! This is wonderful. I tried this out (first removing it from menu to see how your method would work). It worked beautifully!  8) (The executable file was called icecat not icecat-browser so in the 4th line I typed: sudo ln -sf /opt/icecat-browser/icecat /usr/bin/icecat-browser ). Your method was very helpful.

I can see how I can repeat the process with any other software that is sitting around in my directory as extracted files.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain this to me - besides being helpful for icecat, it's also helping me for the future for setting up my system better.
Using Linux Lite for everything now. I put it on my desktop and my laptop. Woohoo!

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 06:45:11 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

@Vera instead of populating your home directory with a bunch of folders containing extracted files you could preferable as per Linux conventions also do this in the /opt directory. Let's take for example Icecat Browser. Once you've downloded the app/files create the directory
Code: [Select]
$ sudo mkdir /opt/icecat-browser Next, cd into your downloads directory
$ cd Downloads Extract the downloaded icecat-browser files into the newly created /opt/icecat-browser directory
$ sudo tar Jxf icecat-browser -* -C /opt/icecat-browser
create a symbolic link to the executable in /usr/bin directory
$ sudo ln -sf /opt/icecat-browser/icecat-browser /usr/bin/icecat-browser 
To see Icecat Browser in the application menu you need to create a desktop entry.
Open a terminal and create a new file named icecat-browser.desktop in /usr/share/applications
$ sudo nano /usr/share/applications/icecat-browser.desktop
Insert the following lines here:

[Desktop Entry]
Version = 1.0
Type = Application
Terminal = false
Name = Icecat Browser
Exec = /usr/bin/icecat-browser
Icon = /opt/icecat-browser/icecat-browser.png
Categories = Application;

Save it using shortcut Ctrl+X. When asked for saving, enter Y and then press enter again to save and exit.

You can download an Icecat Browser icon and save it as icecat-browser.png in /opt/icecat-browser directory.

$ sudo wget -O /opt/icecat-browser/icecat-browser.png https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6b/Icecat1-300x300.svg/80px-Icecat1-300x300.svg.png
You can use this method for any other app you want to install, you just have to change things accordingly. You might want to read here http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/opt.html to know a little bit more about /opt directory

Hope this helps! :)
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 04:47:38 PM »

Vera

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Enjoying Linux Lite.
    • View Profile

@trinidad , you have saved the day again!! I did what you said, (moving Icecat folder into my home directory as you said, and doing the thing with the menu settings) and it all worked perfectly! Thanks!!  8)

You should have extracted it to your home directory to begin with.
Ah. I am embarrassed just thinking about how many pieces of software are currently sitting around extracted in my Downloads folder.  :-[
I'm really glad you told me, because one of my systems is due for a fresh LL install soon anyway (I have just been too busy to do it up until now), so I'll know not to make the same mistake again when installing software in the new system.
Thanks again for your help! Marking as solved.
Using Linux Lite for everything now. I put it on my desktop and my laptop. Woohoo!

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 02:36:26 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Open >Menu>Settings>Menu Editor and create a new launcher for it. I would also create a folder in your home directory called icecat and copy all the files from download into it first.You should have extracted it to your home directory to begin with. At the end of the tutorial link below there is a section on creating launchers in LL.

https://www.dbts-analytics.com/infce2tut.html

LL uses menulibre now for creating application launchers. Also see link below.

https://bluesabre.org/projects/menulibre/

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

How to make an installed application show up in start menu?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 02:14:14 PM »

Vera

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Enjoying Linux Lite.
    • View Profile

Normally applications that I install just automagically show up in the start menu. But when I downloaded the latest version of the Icecat browser  https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/ (v 60.3.0, Nov 2018) from GNU mirror site, I could get it to work by clicking on the Icecat icon in the extracted files (see attached image).

The problem is that I could not get Icecat to show up on my start menu or application list anywhere. How can I make it be recognized by start menu? I now have the browser, but no easy way to launch it besides going into ~/Downloads/icecat/ and clicking on the icecat icon.

Even if I right-click on a .html file in my home directory to open it with a browser, Icecat is not listed as one of the options to open it with.

What is the best way for me to solve this problem, do you think? I realize that this is something to do with the way the Icecat software is set up, and not the fault of Linux Lite, but I was wondering if there was a way for me to somehow add it to the start menu under Internet?

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:47:56 PM by Vera »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section