You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Ubuntu Icon to switch desktops at login

Author (Read 3356 times)

Re: Ubuntu Icon to switch desktops at login
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 11:48:22 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Refer to Help Manual > Software > Changing Desktop Environments

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 10:08:58 PM »

knotnow

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 3.00

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce FX 5200
Typically you can do this with Ubuntu based distros, but Linux Lite already has a highly customized version of the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS base.  Changing desktop environments here is going to be risky, and those who've attempted it and shared their experience with the forum, often wished they hadn't.   In other words, this isn't the distro for changing the default desktop environment.  If you're curious and want to try it anyway, I get it.  Just do yourself a favor and create a restore point using Systemback before you do.

Thanks Torrey, maybe it was a blessing in disguise, I didn't get the icon to make the change. Installing the gnome environment did add more options to the whisker menu. Beginning to enjoy the Linux Lite 2.6 distro.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 09:40:48 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Typically you can do this with Ubuntu based distros, but Linux Lite already has a highly customized version of the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS base.  Changing desktop environments here is going to be risky, and those who've attempted it and shared their experience with the forum, often wished they hadn't.   In other words, this isn't the distro for changing the default desktop environment.  If you're curious and want to try it anyway, I get it.  Just do yourself a favor and create a restore point using Systemback before you do.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Ubuntu Icon to switch desktops at login
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 07:48:27 PM »

knotnow

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 3.00

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce FX 5200
Downloaded various desktop environments, gnome is one of them, to try with linux lite, but I'm unable to change environments. No icon is present, when I log out and log back in.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section