You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

How do I Install WPS Office & make it as default?

Author (Read 4755 times)

Re: How do I Install WPS Office & make it as default?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 12:15:28 AM »

tikiti

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Noob
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 5.x
Hello!

I have used LibreOffice for some time but I don't like it. I used WPS Office it looks modern & very similar to MS Office which I'm comfortable with. So I want to install WPS Office, make it default for opening office files (doc, xls, ppt) & uninstall LibreOffice. Is it okay to delete LibreOffice?

Thanks for your help!  :)

Download the .deb package from here https://linux.wps.com/ after clicking on the download button a new window will pop up, you'll see two packages to choose from; a deb and a rpm,

select the .deb one and once downloaded navigate to the file's location, that is, where you downloaded it and install it with gdebi; select it, right-click on it and select install with gdebi from the context menu or open a terminal and type
Code: [Select]
sudo dpkg -i wps-office_11.1.0.9080.XA_amd64.deb  the file must be in your home for this to work, otherwise you'll have to open a terminal in the folder you downloaded the file i.e downloads, right-click and select open a terminal here then type the dpkg line above and wait for the process to complete. If you get any errors regarding missing dependencies just type
sudo apt --fix-broken install and that should take care of those. On the other hand, if you do this with gdebi the tool will handle all of that by itself.  I would advice against uninstalling LibreOffice, keep it there it does have some powerful features, try to learn it step by step and youll see what a fine piece of sotfware it is :) I tried WPS in the past, not sure whether it does or not now but it used to had adds so I stopped using it.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks! Very helpful!

Hello!

I have used LibreOffice for some time but I don't like it. I used WPS Office it looks modern & very similar to MS Office which I'm comfortable with. So I want to install WPS Office, make it default for opening office files (doc, xls, ppt) & uninstall LibreOffice. Is it okay to delete LibreOffice?

You may find that Softmaker Freeoffice will give you better compatibility plus Look'n'Feel. https://www.freeoffice.com/en/

It does an excellent job of handling docs that LO cannot handle at all, you get a choice of interface from Classic office up to the latest all singing.

Printed output from WPS can be a bit 'off' what you saw on screen.

I will try that out too! Thanks!
Now is the only reality. All else is either memory or imagination. - Osho

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 02:07:39 AM »

robinc

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Turion 64

• MEMORY: 4Gb
Hello!

You may find that Softmaker Freeoffice will give you better compatibility plus Look'n'Feel. https://www.freeoffice.com/en/

It does an excellent job of handling docs that LO cannot handle at all, you get a choice of interface from Classic office up to the latest all singing.

Printed output from WPS can be a bit 'off' what you saw on screen.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 02:23:27 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

Hello!

Download the .deb package from here https://linux.wps.com/ after clicking on the download button a new window will pop up, you'll see two packages to choose from; a deb and a rpm,

select the .deb one and once downloaded navigate to the file's location, that is, where you downloaded it and install it with gdebi; select it, right-click on it and select install with gdebi from the context menu or open a terminal and type
sudo dpkg -i wps-office_11.1.0.9080.XA_amd64.deb  the file must be in your home for this to work, otherwise you'll have to open a terminal in the folder you downloaded the file i.e downloads, right-click and select open a terminal here then type the dpkg line above and wait for the process to complete. If you get any errors regarding missing dependencies just type
sudo apt --fix-broken install and that should take care of those. On the other hand, if you do this with gdebi the tool will handle all of that by itself.  I would advice against uninstalling LibreOffice, keep it there it does have some powerful features, try to learn it step by step and youll see what a fine piece of sotfware it is :) I tried WPS in the past, not sure whether it does or not now but it used to had adds so I stopped using it.

Hope this helps! :)
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

How do I Install WPS Office & make it as default?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 02:00:31 AM »

tikiti

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Noob
    • View Profile

Hello!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 08:47:18 AM by Jerry »
Now is the only reality. All else is either memory or imagination. - Osho

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section