You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Hard Disk error message after OS update

Author (Read 4551 times)

Re: Hard Disk error message after OS update
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 07:57:29 PM »

Tyrannocaster

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: e5300

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
@Tyrannocaster Most likely you are fine, but check your hard drive SMART data for bad sectors and other data it gives you on your hard drive. Go to the 'Disks' application, click your hard drive on the left side and click the 3 dots menu (next to minimize/close buttons) and SMART data/self-test.
Thanks - I didn't even know that was there. It says everything is fine. ("Last updated - 3 minutes ago") I'm currently running the first test in the list, but it looks like it's going to take days.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 05:28:02 PM »

Teddy

• 'Deep in the heart of Texas!'
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Texmex
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz/Turbo 3.5Ghz Quad Core (Skylake)

• MEMORY: 24Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M - 6GB VRAM

• Kernel: 6.x
@Tyrannocaster Most likely you are fine, but check your hard drive SMART data for bad sectors and other data it gives you on your hard drive. Go to the 'Disks' application, click your hard drive on the left side and click the 3 dots menu (next to minimize/close buttons) and SMART data/self-test.
Theodore,

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11-e015dx (11-inch "Travelbook")
ASUS Republic Of Gamers G752VT-DH74 (17-inch Main) [6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M GPU, 24GB RAM]

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 09:29:52 AM »

Tyrannocaster

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

"Squirrels ate my powerline!"

No, really. Not sure if this was the cause of the error message, but yesterday our voltage started dropping intermittently. Fans turned slower, lights dimmed, but computers seemed to continue working fine, which I admit surprised me, as the voltage drops must have been significant. Finally got the power company out last night and they replaced a foot and a half of chewed up cable from where the house line connects to the street supply (using a cherry picker in the dark - no thanks). Fixed the dimming problem, but also when I rebooted the computer (I shut everything down when they started working on it) the error message did not appear.

Fingers crossed.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 05:29:05 PM »

Tyrannocaster

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@Tyrannocaster

Meanwhile, in your uncertainty, at a minimum, make sure you have a successful backup.
It's just data, it's not the system disk with the OS on it. Easily backed up.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 11:24:46 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@Tyrannocaster

Meanwhile, in your uncertainty, at a minimum, make sure you have a successful backup.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Hard Disk error message after OS update
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 09:29:47 AM »

Tyrannocaster

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Just updated my LL 4.6 and rebooted. I was given an error message saying my secondary (spinning, about a year old) drive is about to fail. Maybe it is, or maybe it's something having to do with the update. Has anybody else had something like this happen? I continued the reboot and the drive appears to be working fine, which is meaningless if there's actually some sort of real failure involved. I just don't know how accurate the warning message is, I guess.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:26:13 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section