You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Firefox and Thunderbird crash on Linux Lite 3.2

Author (Read 6851 times)

Re: Firefox and Thunderbird crash on Linux Lite 3.2
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 07:25:45 AM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD 4200

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia
Hi RandomBoy: I do not use SeaMonkey so have not experienced any problems with that. However there are a number of items posted in various places on the Internet and on other OS forums, which suggest that this problem could be due to the wrong versions of Firefox and Thunderbird being included in the distributed OSs - i.e. the 64-bit versions instead of the 32-bit versions.  This would make sense from my observations and is possibly because Firefox and Thunderbird (F & T) are carried over into Linux lite from Ubuntu and at the time the 32-bit version of Linux lite 3.8 was complied Ubuntu had the wrong versions of Firefox and Thunderbird within it; since then Ubuntu have corrected their error, and now have the correct 32-bit versions of F & T included, which is why F & T run properly in the newest release of Ubuntu, but Linux lite have not corrected this error?

This would also explain why this problem does not exist in the 3.8 64-bit version of Linux lite. The solution it seems is to delete the present wrong versions of F & T in 32-bit Linux lite and then install the proper 32-bit versions of F & T direct from the Mozilla site.

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 04:58:33 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

• Kernel: 5.x
I had the same issue, to a lesser degree.  Seamonkey (formerly a Mozilla project, now independent) does what FF and TB do, only with thousands fewer lines of code.  It would be very familiar to users of FF and TB, but maybe trouble-free for you.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 03:40:50 PM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi Trinidad: thanks for your reply. Yes I have run the updates, but the problem still persists. These are both clean installations, as the only OS, so no residual Firefox add ons can be responsible, because any would have been deleted upon installation with new formatting. An interesting thing is that I am also running Linux lite on two 64 bit PCs, and on those there is no such problem with Firefox and Thunderbird, so the problem is clearly something within the 32 bit version of Linux lite only. As I have pointed out this problem is also present in other recently released Linux OSs, but not in Ubuntu 16.04, which I also tried installing on these same PCs, although I do not like it as an OS. I have tried deleting Flash as some have suggested, but that does not solve it all.

As you say, you have not had any crashes on intel-based systems, so it makes me think that this problem only exists on AMD-CPU-based systems.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 12:32:41 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
After a new LL install you should run updates even if you installed via the upgrade path. If they fail run sudo apt-get update first. This is NOT an LL issue. I have Ubuntu 16.04 on the 4.4.x kernel  on an AMD CPU box and have had continuing problems with firefox for the last two weeks and yet.,..  when I run LL 3.8 virtually in qemu on the same box and base system LLs firefox has no problems at all. Most of the Ubuntu problems have to do with residual firefox addons that no longer run but have left file scraps and broken bin dependencies on the system. This is a firefox cleanup issue and it continues on Ubuntu 16.04 on the 4.4.x kernel series. I have not had a crash on any Intel boxes which makes me suspect it's linked to firefox arch specific Spectre mitigations.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 12:15:35 PM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi Justme2: Yes the CRC was correct. This problem may be something which occurs only on certain PCs or hardware configurations. These two PCs of mine affected have AMD processors and everything else runs fine. This problem is not confined to Linux lite; if you look there are a number of users reporting the same problem with other OSs; but as I mentioned it is surprising that the latest Ubuntu 32 bit Mate runs perfectly on these two PCs and neither Firefox nor Thunderbird crash. So as Linux lite is derived from Ubuntu this is very strange. I am going to try deleting Flash since that is given as possible solution relative to other OSs affected and on Mozzila's own site.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 11:04:36 AM »

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5 vPro

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel
@drrdf ,
Just for the record, I run  LL3.8 32bit and have no problem with firefox or thunderbird. Did you do a CRC check on your download? Other than that I have no ideas. Oh, maybe uninstall/reinstall FF & thunderbird via synaptic.
1) Lenovo T520 i5 LL3.8 8GB ram, fast & stable
2) Medion P4 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, quite fast & stable
3) eeePC 901 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, fast & stable
4) eeePC 701 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, slower & stable but small and light enough to travel with me to New Zealand when visiting family in Blenheim.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 10:28:29 AM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I have the same problem with Linux lite 3.8. Immediately after installation of 3.8 on a 32 bit PC both Firefox and Thunderbird crash when I attempt to open them, and they open the Mozilla crash report window. This is very strange because if you install the latest 32 bit version of Ubuntu Mate both Firefox and Thunderbird run properly. So since Linux lite is supposed to be derived from Ubuntu what have the Linux lite developers done to muck this up?

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 09:26:22 AM »

CarlosV

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia 6200
Hello I have the same problem with Linux lite 3.8, would you be so kind to tell me how to remove flash via the terminal...

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 05:35:51 PM »

Zosj

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
In order to get rid of the Firefox & Thunderbird crashes, I've installed Xubuntu 16.04 on my oldie.
The installation was succesfull, but the crashes continued.

The solution was to delete the flash player with Synaptic, and both Firefox and Thunderbird opened!!!!!

It's a miracle!!!!!

Happy Newyear to everybody!!!
Zosj

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 05:22:12 AM »

Zosj

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I continued this topic on a Dutch forum:

http://www.mozbrowser.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23891&p=144115#p144115

If this problem is solved, I will post the solution here.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 05:42:33 AM »

Zosj

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Yes, I overwrote windows XP. I don't know exactly what a rootkit is, but I'll look it up and check it.

Thx for your reply!!

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »

ralphy

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Developer
    • View Profile
Did you previously run Windows in that machine by any chance?

This is me shooting in the dark here but from what you've said it sounds as if you had a rootkit installed in the hard drive boot sector (unless something went really wrong with the installation which is unlikely because that's not a common behavior)

https://unlockforus.com

Sorry for seeming stupid and preferring Linux - I just don't know any better.

Firefox and Thunderbird crash on Linux Lite 3.2
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 05:38:38 PM »

Zosj

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I recently installed Linux Lite 3.2 on an old HP Pavilion A110.be Desktop. I increased the RAM to 1GB.

The problem is that both Firefox and Thunderbird crash when started up. I reinstalled firefox several times, also older versions, but the problem stays. When I boot the computer from the USB-stick with Linux on it, firefox and thunderbird run smooth. I also tried to install other browsers, such as Opera and Midori, but when I try to run them, they just disappear. To make a long story short, I cannot access the internet when I start up the computer normally from it's hard drive.

Can anyone help me?
Thx,
Zosj
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:57:16 PM by Jerry »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section